Comm of Mass legal tire width | MassCops

Comm of Mass legal tire width

Discussion in 'Tickets & Citations' started by Usa8235, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

Quick question....how far out can truck tires be? 2001 Chevy 2500
    I don't want Jr. getting anything remotely illegal that he will get stopped for
    Thanks so much..i searched on here and couldn't find anything

2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Off the top of my head, they can't stick out beyond the fenders. Someone else will probably chime in with some more info; I forget if it's in Chapter 90 or one of the CMRs.

LECSniper and Usa8235 like this.
  3. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

Thanks Frank, i appreciate it..i was looking thru the Comm of Mass laws and wasn't coming up with anything specific..feel stupid posting it here, but i know someones going to know right off

4. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

The only thing I know of is that they can't extend beyond thwe fenders Ch. 90 Sec 19 $100.00

Usa8235 likes this.
  5. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

Thanks Brion

6. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

I thought that was only for non 4x4 vehicles? You'd know better than I, but I could have swore I heard 4x4 vehicles (trucks) were exempt from that rule.

7. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Damn I'm good...

No study.

bobert911 likes this.
  8. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

No lift kit then huh! poor child is going to cry

9. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Littering and...littering and............littering........and.....................

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  10. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

Thank you so very much guys, i really appreciate your help..printed and passed on ..rule of the law speaks more than my arguing about this with him...thanks again

11. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

Yes, but all trucks aren't 4WD and the OP didn't state whether his was 4wd or not. Plus I thought he was just looking for an excuse for the kid to not get the big tires.:)

Pvt. Cowboy likes this.
  12. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

13. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

His is a 4wd chevy silverado and he wants a lift kit and the biggest tires he can get away with...he's 17 workin' 40 hours a week at valvoline to put all his $$ into his "baby"...i don't want him doing anything that's illegal and i also don't want him to look like a dumb ass. Dad is clueless regarding this stuff and i figuered someone here would know or know where to look...and i was right!! Appreciate the help and assistance.

14. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

OMG don't even go there!!! This is probably what the kid wants to do!! I think i made a mistake taking him to all those monster truck shows when he was little!!!

kwflatbed likes this.
  15. Pete1955

Pete1955 New Member

MA Chapter 90 Sect. 19 reads: "NO PASSENGER MOTOR VEHICLE SHALL BE OPERATED ON ANY WAY IF SUCH VEHICLE HAS THE SIDE WALL OR THREAD OF ANY TIRE PROJECTING OUTWARD BEYOND THE OUTER PORTION OF THE FENDER OR SIDE BODY PANEL, UNLESS SUCH VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH FOUR WHEEL DRIVE OR IS OTHERWISE MODIFIED AND INTENDED FOR OFF THER WAY USE" 4 WHEEL DRIVES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO THIS LAW!!

16. Pete1955

Pete1955 New Member

Many guys with tires exceeding fenders have been asking....is this illegal? NO! Chapt. 90 sect 19 clearly states "NO TIRE SHALL PROJECT PAST FENDER UNLESS THAT VEHICLE IS.......FOUR WHEEL DRIVE! " Download a copy...might come in handy.

17. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

The tires on my mivivan are taken from mountain bikes so I get that ALL-TERRAIN feel as I conquer the highways and byways of Massachusetts. It just sucks because the spokes can't seem to handle more than 30 miles.

18. brk120

brk120 MassCops Member

Under Ch90/7 you can still stop/issue a cite to someone who drives a 4 wheel drive passenger vehicle w/ tires extending beyond the fender wall/body under ch90/7. Its to prevent the splashing or throwing of debris.

"Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle and which is operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and sides"

Not that its even a big deal. Just another reason to stop a MV to find a bag of hands

Danusmc0321 and DNorth like this.
  19. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Ha, I still use that story when I'm doing scenarios for my trainees, 15 years after my academy, 'Sces would be proud!!!

brk120 and mtc like this.
  20. brk120

brk120 MassCops Member

I'm pretty sure it was

mtc likes this.
  21. brk120

brk120 MassCops Member

Lol. He was an awesome instructor