Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes... hot off the press, read below...

-Mike

State police colonel, lieutenant colonel announce retirement
By Associated Press, 5/4/2004 16:45

BOSTON (AP) The head of the Massachusetts State Police and another high-ranking state police official abruptly announced their retirements on Tuesday, offering no reasons for suddenly stepping down.

Massachusetts State Police Superintendent Col. Thomas J. Foley and Lt. Col. Bradley G. Hibbard announced their retirements Tuesday, leaving after a combined 54 years with the force.

The men issued a joint statement saying they were proud of their service to the department and the advancements made under their command.

''This department has reached a level of expertise and professionalism that the public can truly be proud of,'' their statement said.

The State Police did not give an explanation for the abrupt joint announcement.

''Their leadership and guidance have been instrumental in elevating the level of professionalism and excellence in service provided by this department over the past two years,'' State Police said in a prepared statement.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How the hell will this affect the below 16 pages of state police hopefuls.
State employment is getting very WACKY.
State heath insurance messed with 2 times in 2 years.
Head of agencies getting crazy raises- this year.
Well known urban academy instructors cannot "yell" at recruits and trainees are allowed to "powerwalk".
Head of agencies just up and quitting.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Colonel Foley

I wont say anything about Hibbard (they say dont say anything if you have nothing good to say) but Foley is and always will be a great Trooper.

If I given a babysitter and micromanaged by an idiot like Flynn I would say I dont need this shit and take the 75%.

·
Registered
174 Posts
To the Troopers on this board, you guys have been curiously silent on this one.

I would imagine the collective silence is a case of ... "Better to say nothing and wish you had, than to say something and wish you had not." (Courtesy of MT1). :wink:

At any rate, I look forward to the reaction of more Troopers to this news, good bad or indifferent.

Ryan

G

·
I'll break the silence here with a question for MSP members and locals alike. Do you think the Colonel and the Lt. Col, first and second in command of the MSP, are making a statement here by abruptly annoucing their dual resignations at the same time and a mere 6 weeks before the DNC? Well, it's not because they are going to go into a Starbuck's franchise together. I know what my take is on it and I'm not too happy.

Guinness2429

·
MassCops Member
81 Posts
Guinness2429 said:
I'll break the silence here with a question for MSP members and locals alike. Do you think the Colonel and the Lt. Col, first and second in command of the MSP, are making a statement here by abruptly annoucing their dual resignations at the same time and a mere 6 weeks before the DNC? Well, it's not because they are going to go into a Starbuck's franchise together. I know what my take is on it and I'm not too happy.

Guinness2429
DITTO!!!!!!! :(

·
Subscribing Member
233 Posts
By statute, no. We hire from within. No "professional administrators" (Flynn, Bratton, Katie the Statie, etc.) can just glide in. Any speculation on who is going to wear the bird next is just that...speculation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
How do you Troopers feel about Capt. Robbins (may be a Major by now)? He was my class instructor for Criminal Law in the late 90's. I especially liked his advocacy of filing civil suits against the criminal element. First, they get spanked by the court for their criminal offense, then they go back to court and find out they have a lien on their home! Nice.

G

·
Major Robbins is commander of F Troop. I don't know him personally. But, anyone from the rank of Captain or above can be appointed Colonel/Superintendent of the State Police by the Governor. I didn't know he was a CJ professor/instructor.

Guinness2429

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Will the retirements of Colonel Foley and Lt. Colonel Bradley cause a leadership void in regards to the MSP involvement in the DNC this summer? Do the Troopers feel that they have been let down by the actions of senior leadership stepping down so close to the event?

:?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The leadership is coming from the Troopers in Tactical Ops and SERT who are providing the training at the academy for the upcoming convention...and they are doing a damn fine job of leading if I may say so.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
The interviews are going to be held here at FSC.....Can I just skip the R.T.T. and apply ? :D

Romney asks troopers to help pick new boss
By Tom Farmer
Friday, May 14, 2004

In an unprecedented but highly appreciated polling of the Massachusetts State Police command staff, Gov. Mitt Romney [related, bio] has sent a letter to officers ranked lieutenant and above asking for their opinion on who he should appoint as the department's new commander.

Sending the letter by e-mail last Friday, the governor did not limit the polling to just superior officers, inviting input from sergeants and troopers as well.

``I think it's a good idea,'' said one state police officer who received the governor's e-mail. ``I'd have to say it has been well-received. It was a smart move on his part.''

Current superintendent Col. Thomas Foley is retiring at the end of the month. Based on state law, the governor has to name a new commander from within the department ranks.

``We would greatly appreciate your input on what kind of qualities would be best suited for the position of Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police,'' the governor wrote.

``If specific people come to mind, please do not hesitate in suggesting them, and they will certainly be carefully reviewed.''

Shawn Feddeman, a spokeswoman for the governor, said there is no timetable for naming Foley's replacement.

G

·
Maybe that "Trooper to Colonel" bill will pass in time for me to be selected as the new Superintendent. That's what I told Mitt anyway.

Guinness2429

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
Can't say Romney isn't pro-police now! 2nd smartest thing he's done since becoming governor.
:t:

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Top cop's retirement takes Romney team by surprise
By Associated Press
Thursday, May 27, 2004

BOSTON - The head of the state police officially retired on Thursday, surprising Romney administration officials who expected him to remain on the job until a successor was chosen.

Superintendent Col. Thomas J. Foley announced his retirement on May 4 and indicated he would stay at least until June. But he was scheduled to appear Thursday before a panel of state officials who will determine his pension benefits.

``This was unanticipated,'' Katie Ford, a spokeswoman for the Executive Office of Public Safety, told a Boston newspaper.

Lt. Col. Bradley G. Hibbard, who announced his retirement on the same day as Foley, will serve as interim superintendent until a successor is chosen.

Public Safety Secretary Edward Flynn began interviewing internal candidates the day after Foley's announcement.

State law requires that the superintendent be promoted from within the department and be at least the rank of captain. There are about 35 officers currently eligible.

Romney officials previously said Foley had become increasingly frustrated by his squabbles with the troopers' union and feared it would detract from preparations for the Democratic National Convention, which begins July 26 at the FleetCenter.

Foley has worked with the state police since 1980 and was appointed superintendent in 2001 by then-acting Gov. Jane Swift. Foley was the unit commander of the state police Organized Crime Division, investigating the cases of mobsters James ``******'' Bulger and Stephen ``The Rifleman'' Flemmi. He was also involved in security planning for the convention.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.