Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my dept is revamping it's process for training new people as well as creating a more formal FTO program...do any other college's out there use a guide of some sort to orientate new officers...also what types of evaluation critereia are you using....Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sgt. Jack,

Framingham State College PD sends their FTO's to the State Police Academy for the certified FTO course. We have recently updated our training program which the FTO's and the FTO Coordinator basically designed. When attending the course they give sample materials that you basically take back to your department and mold it to your needs.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
SSPO 11, to your knowledge, are only state colleges allowed to send their officers to the MSP Academy for FTO training, or can private college too? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In my class there were many different colleges both State and Private.......so I guess anyone can go! I think it was through SSPO Professional Development or something.

·
Subscribing Member
4,324 Posts
Framingham State College PD sends their FTO's to the State Police Academy for the certified FTO course
There is no certified course for FTO in Massachusetts. It's just an FTO class.

·
Subscribing Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys....we did send a couple of people out to the SPA during the last class....where we got a lot of good ideas but I think the college isn't sure how they want to go about this just yet...Thanks again..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks j809,

The certificate we received say's FTO Cerification on it. I was unaware that it's not a certified course.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Worcester State college has an FTO program with forms they have created. It is a great idea and it is working well with them. They sent 2 officers to the course and came back with some great valuable ideas for the program. I suggest your department send atleast 2 officers.

·
Subscribing Member
4,324 Posts
SSPO#11 said:
Thanks j809,

The certificate we received say's FTO Cerification on it. I was unaware that it's not a certified course.

Yeah, I went to the Boylston 40hr course and we were told that even though it is a 40hr course, MA does not recognize a certified course for FTos. Go figure, another MA special rule.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.