Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering reenlisting in a Reserve Component... looking at USMCR, USNR or the USCGR.... just weighing all my options right now since full-time appointments are hard to come by and I can't afford to go back to college without some serious reorganization.

Any Coast Guard PS guys/gals on here?

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
I like you am looking to do the same. I myself do not know too much about it but from what others tell me it may be worth your wild. I have heard alot of good things. And the rates for the most part I hear are reasonable. I would suggest calling the main HQ in Boston.
(617) 223-3214 should still the main number for Boston.
Also try:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/reserve/reshmpg.html

Hope this helps.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I have thought of joining the USCG reserve, The port security seems interesting. Do you guys know if they will activate you and send to god knows where.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been in USCG Reserve for many years. Excellent organization. If you are activated, you report to your base. So, If you're assigned to Sector Boston, during activation, you stay at Sector Boston. You won't be shipped to Iraq, unless you're with a PSU (Port Security Unit). The PS rates are assigned everywhere not just to PSU's. You can be a PS in Boston or any other Coast Guard station. Lots of law enforcement training. As a PS, you will go through a 2 week boarding team member school. Once you complete that, you will be able to perform law enforcement boardings on vessels. I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
How hard is it to transfer? Like If I took a job in FL would I be able to transfer to a reserve unit in FL from say Boston? Or is it real hard to do?

Scott :rock:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not hard at all to transfer. Just fill out the proper paperwork and pick which base you want to be stationed at in Florida. Just check with them to make sure they have an open PS billet.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
I was thinking of going in in the buddy program with a friend of mine to get in the door and get the Vet status. Now that I knw this I might definately think of it. Thanks for the Info!!!

Scott :rock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.