Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on laser eye vision for the Coast Guard. I had PRK approx 12 years ago and Im interested in the reserves. Im not sure if Id be disqualified or not because of it.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
From my understanding PRK is allowable, however there is a certain amount of time that must pass after the surgery, and a waiver depending on what program you are going for. The Coast Guard, being a smaller services, seems to be a bit picky about waivers. Just a disclaimer, I do not work for the Coast Guard. I went through the enlistment process with them recently, and dropped for a reserve officer candidate with the Navy. Still working on that =)

·
Registered
681 Posts
You will be all set. The Coast Guard will deny only if the preexisting condition has the potential to be a finaicial or liability issue to the Coast Guard.

On a side note: Go Active Duty. The CGR receives little training and you are more of a paper weight then a help.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Damn, Crvtte, you beat me to the punch!

I read the title to this thread and I thought the same thing; the Coast Guard is handing out laser eye vision? Awesome!

·
Registered
843 Posts
PRK is waiverable. I know for the marines its the only accepted form of laser eye surgery due to it replacing the whole lens of the eye. In Lasik they cut a flap. For some reason Lasik is viewed as more problem prone even though the results are not out on this yet.

I would say with your PRK you should be good to go. You may need a waiver but it should not be difficult to obtain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts