CO I 2018 | MassCops

CO I 2018

Discussion in 'Corrections' started by Dj112, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Dj112

Dj112 MassCops Member

I figured that I’d get a new thread started for the 2018 DOC hopefuls and anyone else who would like to share their knowledge, experience, and advice.

I’ve been wanting this job for quite some time now. Although I didn’t score as high as I wanted to, I am happy with my standing on the list that was just established from the 4/14/18 exam. That and with the talk of a lot of hiring in the next few years, I think I’ve got a really good shot at it this time.
    On another thread it was mentioned that there may be a possible October academy. Will they be using people from the list that was just put out a few weeks ago for this?

2. FPFC2

FPFC2 MassCops Member

Cards are out

3. Dj112

Dj112 MassCops Member

Yes, I went and signed last week. I was told a Spring academy. Looks like they made the PT a little harder since 2014. Anyone know around when they usually start calling people in for tests after signings?

4. FPFC2

FPFC2 MassCops Member

Depends on how fast they want the class. Last day to sign is Friday. I'd expect to hear within a few weeks to a month. When I got on it was a 4-5 month process

Dj112 likes this.
  5. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

I just received a call on Saturday PT tests are scheduled next week.

6. Dj112

Dj112 MassCops Member

The only news I’ve got so far was an email saying that they are extending signings a week. I wonder if there was a low turnout.

7. FPFC2

FPFC2 MassCops Member

I only glanced at it but the list didn't seem very long. If they want a class of 200, they'll exhaust the current list before the new one (from the Oct 20) is certified.

8. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

Yes I recivied that email as well, well me and 3 of my buddys are all veterans and we have the PT TEST scheduled next week. I don’t want to give her name but the lady on the phone mentioned that if the PT TEST IS PASSED then oral boards will be scheduled for the first week of December.

You stated earlier you didn’t get the score you hoped for, do you mind me asking what you scored on the exam also are you a vet?

Toughgirl likes this.
  9. Dj112

Dj112 MassCops Member

89 non-vet

10. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

I would not be surprised if they merged the new list in time for the upcoming academy. There's no way they can find 235 recruits off of a 600 person list, especially now that they made the physical fitness test harder.

11. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

What’s the new PT? When I went through the process in 2011, it was Cooper standards, and oral boards were the same day. Needed to wear a suit in the morning for the oral board and bring a change of clothes for the PAT.

12. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Cooper standards were thrown out because some women (who didn't train) filed a lawsuit saying the standards were sexist. They won the lawsuit and were all given jobs + cash. After that the standards were a joke. People literally walked the mile and a half "run".
    That all changed after the last class. The last class exhausted the list and half the recruits were falling out of the runs. The academy staff were bullshit about it. Now the pt standards are more difficult.

02136colonel likes this.
  13. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

Written below are the PT a test standards, I have the test tomorrow. Wish me luck guys.

Age group Male 19.5- 29
    Sit ups(1min) 33
    push ups (1min) 22
    1.5 mile run 13:58 seconds or less

Age group Male 30-39
    Sit ups (1min) 30
    Push ups (1min) 17
    1.5 mile run 14:33 secounds or less

pahapoika likes this.
  14. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

That's like the female standards for NH

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

15. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Good luck !

Looks the same as it was in 1991, but the old memory could be off. Was told you still have to show Improvement with the P/T during the academy.

Got all the horror stories from military guys. PT'd my ass off before attending. DI's were, well DI's , but wanted you to graduate provided you put in the effort

16. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

If you get into the academy it's virtually impossible not to make it through. Academy staff have virtually no authority to remove recruits from the academy. Even if you keep failing tests, they'll just give you another shot. This has some obvious problems.

17. Toughgirl

Toughgirl MassCops Member

I took the PT test today

Hush likes this.
  18. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

Passssssed........
    On to the interviews.

Anyone have any advice on how to pass the oral board interview? Any specific question I should as or any particular way to answer the situational questions.

19. Toughgirl

Did you pass today? Or yesterday

20. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

Today

21. Toughgirl

Good luck on the interviews. I have no idea what they will ask maybe situational questions

22. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

You see a fellow CO drinking in the parking lot before work, what do you do?

An inmate is getting agitated in his housing unit and is getting louder, what do you do?

As long as you don't say anything ridiculous, you'll be fine

23. Toughgirl

So dont join in the drinking? And dont tell the inmate to get as loud as he wants?

24. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

If you don't know the answer, just say "isolate and contain"

25. knucklehead

knucklehead MassCops Member

They're all common sense questions. Don't stress about them, just answer them as you see fit. Don't be a Super C.O., just watch your fellow officers back.