Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
what would I need to do so I can change my LTC Class A from restricted to all lawfull because Boston,MA dosen't like to give out firearm lisence they are very strick they are giving me the run around to change my license they told me you keep my restricted LTC or have no LTC. I need help trying to change it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That’s totally up to each department...I'd be careful though. Unless you need your gun for something job related, then you’re at the disposal of the department in the town/city in which you live. They’re going to ask you the same thing every firearms officer asks.."What makes you need a class A more so than anyone else, do you feel your life is in some sort of grave danger...etc" I wouldn't push it, Mass is really strict (Liberal Bastards) and you don't want to have the privilege of having a license taken away... Give it time...Sometimes belonging to a gun club helps, and it all depends how long you’ve had your LTC B.

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Wait, do you have a restricted A, or a B.

Anyone dare to chime in about that case-law in regards to "restrictions" of Class A's?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
It has been proven time and time again that the "reason for issuance" is not a restriction. However, these have been proven on a "case by case" basis so if it hasn't been done in your area...you may end up being the "test case".

·
Banned
117 Posts
My mom had her Class B LTC for about 10 years now. She never shoots any guns, she just has it for when the hunting seasons come around in the fall my brother can carry under her license and for buying my dad a gun for christmas each year. Soon she will be applying to get her Class A LTC, all she had to do was attend a firearms safety class at Worcester PD. Now she just has to make an appointment with the Sgt. that issues firearms licenses to do all the paperwork and all that other good stuff involved.

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
Is the State Police backlogged in sending out the renewal license. I renewed in Oct and have not received it yet in the mail.

·
Registered
62 Posts
She never shoots any guns, she just has it for when the hunting seasons come around in the fall my brother can carry under her license and for buying my dad a gun for christmas each year. :?:

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
I just got my LTC in Boston. I passed the background, the qualification at Moon Island and was told I was good to go. I was going to get the Class A for reasons of Employment. I used a 2nd job as the employment (part time liquor store manager) because we don't carry at my full time gig. I got a call from the BPD licensing unit and they told me I was being downgraded to "Sport & Target" only. They didn't give me any real reason as to why only that my store has another permit (LTC) and that the Det. Sgt might not want 2 permits in 1 store, even though we work opposite shifts. I then asked the unit what I would do if I took a job where I was to carry a firearm. Thy told me that I would have to surrender my current license and re-apply for a new license. They do not do upgrades. I would have to start the entire process all over again.

On a side note, does anyone know how it would work if I got a job where I had to carry ( Sworn PO NOT security)? Would I be able to carry under my badge and qualify annualy with my dept.? Is it a case of once I have an LTC. I am all set? I am a bit confused.

·
Banned
117 Posts
fscpd910";p="51980 said:
She never shoots any guns, she just has it for when the hunting seasons come around in the fall my brother can carry under her license and for buying my dad a gun for christmas each year. :?:
Yeah the only time she shoots is at the Big MOE in Sturbridge every year but she only shoots 5 shots. In order for her to buy a handgun for my dad for Christmas, she needs an LTC. Since my brother is over 12 but doesnt have a license to carry any firearm, the law allows him to carry under a licensed adult i.e. my mom. Me and my dad carry our own licenses and I am not considered an adult by law. So what is there to question about what I said.

·
Registered
456 Posts
LTC renewals - highly variable:
- Just got mine renewed. Dropped off paperwork 11/30, interview 12/15, and received new LTC on 12/29. Prior LTC renewal took less than 4 weeks as well.
- My Wife's LTC renewal (last year) took 3 months. Reason given was delays with CHSB/State.
- According to Chief Ron Glidden (a few months ago), DMH was taking in excess of 8 weeks if they were getting back to PD at all.
- By law the PDs are supposed to process paperwork timely, but I am well aware that some PDs sit on the paperwork for weeks/months and blame the delays on State. It's just their way of limiting LTCs because they don't believe that anyone should have guns. [I know someone who had to go thru 4 interviews over 6 months to get his renewal of LTC. The PD just sat on his paperwork.]

Boston!
- Best solution to Boston LTCs is to move out of the City!! They do their own thing, the laws be damned. [I wonder what they will do with their precious "RESTRICTED" rubber stamp when they switch over to MIRCS?]
- If one wants to upgrade their LTC, there is NO legal requirement to turn over your current LTC! However, any chief can suspend/revoke a LTC at any time for any reason (or no reason whatsoever) under his unlimited "suitability" and "discretion", as allowed by law. Problem with what Boston told you is that once they take your LTC, you are NO longer licensed and then they could legally come and confiscate your guns/ammo and arrest you for illegal possession of firearms/ammo! [Not saying that they would do this, just that the law would allow them to do this.]

PO - Firearms possession without LTC:
- MGLs have allowed any LEO (from any jurisdiction) to carry a firearm "on the badge" without a LTC. [When I first joined our PD as a Special PO, the chief was trying to convince all his FT POs to fill out the application for LTCs (the chief wasn't even going to charge them the $10 fee) and a number of them told him (and me) outright that they didn't want the LTC and would just carry on the badge.] Without a LTC, even a PO can't legally buy any ammo or a firearm, so they could only carry/possess what the PD issued to them.
- If you become a Trooper or municipal PO, no problem carrying on the badge. However, if you join a campus PD or some other non-municipal organization (even with police powers) you can expect potential problems carrying on the badge (without a LTC).

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
marlboroughpd";p="52029 said:
Me and my dad carry our own licenses and I am not considered an adult by law. So what is there to question about what I said.
What is there to question?

Apparently I'm less familiar with mass's lisence system than I thought.
Explain: You're not a legal adult, but have a Mass Firearms License?
What class license is this?

And, does this mean you're a 16/17 year old?
That would explain a lot....

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Smig165";p="52068 said:
I was under the impression that the "reason" was not a restriction.
Officially: its a moot point.

Case-law has, apparently many times, reinforced that a department placing a "reason for issuing" is not a restricted, and that a Class A is a Class A, because no where in MGL is there any "option" for a restricted.
So, it may keep a conviction off your record, but could land you a night in jail, loss of guns, and the Chief pulling your LTC. They can do it because they are in a bad mood, never mind you try to get technical on them....

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
soxrock75";p="52007 said:
I just got my LTC in Boston. I passed the background, the qualification at Moon Island and was told I was good to go. I was going to get the Class A for reasons of Employment. I used a 2nd job as the employment (part time liquor store manager) because we don't carry at my full time gig. I got a call from the BPD licensing unit and they told me I was being downgraded to "Sport & Target" only. They didn't give me any real reason as to why only that my store has another permit (LTC) and that the Det. Sgt might not want 2 permits in 1 store, even though we work opposite shifts. I then asked the unit what I would do if I took a job where I was to carry a firearm. Thy told me that I would have to surrender my current license and re-apply for a new license. They do not do upgrades. I would have to start the entire process all over again.

On a side note, does anyone know how it would work if I got a job where I had to carry ( Sworn PO NOT security)? Would I be able to carry under my badge and qualify annualy with my dept.? Is it a case of once I have an LTC. I am all set? I am a bit confused.
What IS your "full time gig"?

They are correct that if you wanted to upgrade from a Class B to a Class A you would have to surrender one and apply for another. While there may be no "legal" wording stating so, there is no provision for holding 2 licenses and it is clearly established that each license must be indicated with a number and class type along with the application as forwarded to FRB. You would also be required to pass the requirements and a background check for a Class A. Don't be misinformed into thinking an upgrade is automatic like airline tickets. Furthermore, the issuing authority CAN impose restrictions on either type license as they deem fit. (ref Ch140 sec 131 (b) )

Also is the liquor store in a high crime area warranting carrying a weapon under a Class A?

If you really want direct answers, go here:http://www.mass.gov/chsb/frb/frb_laws.html

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
USMCTrooper,

I am currently working in the Public Safety Department at a college in the Boston area. I am also about to finish the R/I Academy (Feb. 17th) in Foxboro. We have a new Director of PS at our College (Ret. MSP Lt.)and he is looking into getting SSPO powers for those that qualify. While I do not have an SSPO Academy, I do have a Bachelor's (Master's soon) and R/I, which should make me eligible for SSPO powers. I know that we are not going to be armed in the future other than OC or baton. I was also looking into some Aux. departments for some experience. Hence, the question about the LTC Class A.

I have worked at Huntington WIne & Spirits for the past 7 years. It is located on Huntington Ave near Symphony Hall and directly across from the main branch of the YMCA in downtown Boston. While I wouldn't say it is a "high crime" area like Dudley Square or Blue Hill Ave., it can get pretty ugly. I have witnessed stabbings in the area and saw someone robbed at gunpoint before (usually college kids being victimized) There is also a large homeless population in the area and unfortunately I have to deal with them as they use their "earnings" from panhandling to buy their booze. Alot of the time, they are drunk or are buying for a minor, so we won;t serve them. This inevitably leads to hostilities and on several occasions has led to physical altercations. Threats and verbal abuse are commonplace. I also have to deposit the store's cash many times and I would like to feel a bit safer when I am handling a large amount of cash and I have to walk past or see one of the "bums" that I had words with earlier, out near the bank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Boston sucks ass. :evil:

How long until we make this state a Shall Issue state and take away the power of police chiefs to abuse law abiding citizens? What goes on in Boston is absolute bullshit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How will MIRCS affect their idiotic "restricted" license label? Does that mean they won't be able to issue these crippled licenses anymore?

LenS";p="52031 said:
wal of LTC. The PD just sat on his paperwork.]
Boston!
- Best solution to Boston LTCs is to move out of the City!! They do their own thing, the laws be damned. [I wonder what they will do with their precious "RESTRICTED" rubber stamp when they switch over to MIRCS?]

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
The owner of that store has to write you a letter, stating why he supports you have a firearms license and why you need it for employment. In the old days, all you had to say is that you carried large amounts of cash to the bank and they would give you one. But years ago, Boston woke up and their response was, "hired a detail for that"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts