Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

An argument broke out in Congress the week of Oct. 16 over some controversial funding for Alaska that was passed in the Highway Bill earlier this year.

The Seattle Times reported that Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK, tried to block $453 million earmarked for two bridges in Alaska - one of which, dubbed the "Bridge to Nowhere" has generated much controversy because it would cost millions of dollars and connect to an island of only 50 people.

Coburn instead proposed a measure that would allow use of the money to rebuild the Interstate 10 bridge across Lake Pontchartrain, which was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina.

Proving that it takes a real politician to settle a debate in a rational and adult manor, Republican and Alaskan Sen. Ted Stevens, lashed out at Coburn, claiming that the move was discriminating against the state of Alaska.

"I don't kid people," Stevens said. "If the Senate decides to discriminate against our state ... I will resign from this body."

Stevens instead proposed a measure that would hold funding for all bridges around the country until work on I-10 was complete. Both measures were voted down.

Stevens wasn't the only Alaskan politician upset about the Coburn's proposal. Republican Rep. Don Young, who championed the building of the second Alaskan bridge - which will be called "Don Young's Way," was also bothered.

The Times said a reporter asked Young about the apparent support of the Alaskan public for shifting the bridge money to Louisiana. Young responded by revealing his true feelings on the matter.

"They can kiss my ear," Young said. "That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.