Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any info about any college in the Medford/Boston area that has a good CJ program? (distance learninng would be a plus if available)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Salem State I've heard is pretty good. I have also taken classes at Newbury College In Brookline. I would recomend both to anybody.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the South Shore you have Stonehill College. I think (double check this not positive)that UMASS Boston also has a CJ program

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I'm actually a "5th Year" Junior at Salem State. I'd have to tell you that the program itself is pretty good. A little too intellectual and theroy based for me, but not too bad.

However, Salem State College, in my opinion, is an adminstrative nightmare. These people loose paperwork, overbill, fail to register and everything else more than anything I have ever heard of. I went to UMass Amherst for a very short period of time. UMass is enormous compared to Salem State, but there I had no problems whatsoever. Every single semester at SSC I seem to run into something.

Their favorite trick is losing your health insurance waiver card four or five times and billing you the $700 dollars for it. Then when you refuse to pay, because you have sent them the stupid green card a million times, and they've lost it, they freeze your account so you can't add or drop classes.

All in all, I would not attend there again. My wife just graduated from there too, and had a very similar experience.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe this should be under a new topic called "College Nightmares". I didn't realize it sounded so disgruntled untill after I read it....

I attended UMass Lowell. It wouldn't be too bad of a program if it was run with a little more organization, but beware if you transfer...

At the time when I transferred, they had undergraduate students doing the advising for transfers, new students..etc... I showed up there with half of my CJ program from another college completed and an internship that was completed as well. They screwed me by making me take courses that were outrageous, such as sophomore classes when in reality I was a junior etc.

Here are a couple of nightmares I encountered...
The "advisor" said my internship was transferred in and it was all set. Also, they insisted that I take a class that was basically the same as a class I took and was transferred in. I questioned that decision and got a lecture that it wasn't the same class. Low and behold, It was the same class, same book, and even same instructor! Also, that internship that was "transferred" in...really wasn't. I found this out when I applied for graduation, and was denied because not completing an internship. After jumping through hoops and speaking with higher up after higher up and missing graduation, I decided to go back to my old college hoping they could somehow help. I informed them that UML is screwing transfer students... About a week later I was told I was able to graduate the next semester.

The bottom line... Beware of the Director of CJ, if she actually has time for you would be a miracle. Make sure your classes follow the suggested classes you should take for that semester. AND... GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!

I am still a bit disgruntled over it as you all can tell and actually there were many others in the same boat I was in while matriculating there, with some screwed up story about transferring...etc

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
I have to agree with BartPD on Northeastern. I've always considered it the best Criminal Justice program in Massachusetts.

·
MassCops Member
60 Posts
I agree with the above, Salem State has a decent program, affordable, a huge admin nightmare. all kiding decide, they have the worst registrars office, right on the mark with the health insurance waiver. So if you want to deal with the BS not that bad from Medford, i think Northeastern has a solid program too

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
A lil OT but along the same line does anybody know if I can still use my GI Bill after 10 years has gone by since I left the service.

I heard that there was a ten year cap on it? If thats the case is it true that I can go to a state college for the goose because I am a vet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want a C.J. program that is both rewarding and challenging, I would have to suggest Western New England College. The course work is hard and the teachers are strict, but you learn a lot.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
LOL!!! T-Boner, you the man! In reality you meant the course work is easy, the teachers are a joke and you don't learn much :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey now WNEC is a good school. Maybe not all what T-cop has built it to be, but it gets the job done. It's a good school for when your working most instructors understand how hard it is to work and go to school.

Plus you are not sitting next to some 19 y.o. turd who thinks it's "cool" that your a cop.

·
1,952 Posts
NU is ranked 3rd in the Nation for CJ...1st is the John Jay College of CJ in the CUNY program (City of New York) and the 2nd I believe is in Washington DC.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I went to Umass Lowell for 4 years and I really enjoyed it there. It has a real good Criminal Justice program. But if you are transferring there be careful. Someone else stated that transferring there can be rough when it comes to carrying credits over. I was not a transfer there but I knew a bunch of people who were and they lost almost a year's worth of credits. Good luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Regarding Northeastern, they also have a great EMT program, consistently ranked among the best in the country. It is worth 9.0 credit hours, so it is also expensive, but you can try to transfer it into a degree program if you are taking classes somewhere.

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Sorry Capefive0, it's just that my college requires me to do a thesis which I must present and defend while other M.A. programs such as WNE just requires attending 10 classes. It's all love baby :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts