Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Re: Good Luck

I'm just glad that I did better with the memory portion. Last time, I got a 96, and I can guarantee you that every question that I blew was in that section, because I screwed up the names of the stores. This time around, I had every one memorized and down pat. So that's all good..I'm hoping for a 98 this time around.

I did notice that there was a few questions that were harder than the last one, including a few that were even questionable, but not too bad overall. Kinda pissed I had to drive all the way to Haverhill this time around though.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts

Every civil service exam I have taken, I have gone up two points... last time I got a 97. This time, I really don't know. It was a lot more difficult because I think the rocket scientists who designed it are getting more and more thick. Anybody notice the question where the answer should have been must inform of the right to self-incrimination rather than what was printed as self-DISCRIMINATION?

There were a few other ones, like the one that said a police officer may not arrest for A. a misdemeanor in the presence, regardless of statute or D. an arrest warrant which must clearly be presented (or however it was worded)... what was up with that one?

I think the highlight of the exam was when the proctor for the room I was in wrote the address for Ashburton Place on the chalk board... all correspondence must be addressed to "Human RECOURSES." :evil:

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Nighthag said:
There were a few other ones, like the one that said a police officer may not arrest for A. a misdemeanor in the presence, regardless of statute or D. an arrest warrant which must clearly be presented (or however it was worded... what was up with that one?
Yea I was confused with that one.

I have a question to those who have taken it before. One was about pursing someone into another jurisdiction and the officer arrested the person. There were 3 reasons why he was incorrect only and one made sense, because speeding/red light isn't arrestable. Then there was one that was he was correct and I chose that one because the question states "based on the info above" and there isn't anything mentioned on what is arrestable so would I be correct?

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts

I chose he was correct in arresting him, not for failure to stop at a red light and speeding, but for failure to stop for a police officer.

I think all the other choices were incorrect, right? I don't remember, BRAIN OVERLOAD FROM TOO MUCH STUPIDITY!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts

Ok thanks Dungie, glad I was not the only one scratching my head on the self-discrimination nonsense. Go HRD (or however they spell it...)

I also debated the red light/pursuit arrest. Since it said 'Based on the information above', I figured throw all outside knowledge out the window, and he's cuffed because he did something naughty in front of the officer. A non-LE taking the test is not expected to know the statute regarding red lights or failure to obey or whatever.

Now we all get to play the waiting game for 6 months waiting for the scores to come back!

-Mike, still soaked from waiting in line outside for 45 minutes trying to get in this morning

·
Registered
69 Posts

I did catch the "self-discrimination" answer. I'll presume a typo by HRD. On the one with the pursuit, HRD didn't provide enough information to answer the question. Yes, most know about failing to stop, but HRD should have listed what was arrestable and what wasn't. At least these two questions will be appealed and all should be given credit for them.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Officer Dunngeon said:
I chose he was correct in arresting him, not for failure to stop at a red light and speeding, but for failure to stop for a police officer.
But it didnt say anywhere in there that failure to stop for a PO is arrestable. So i put incorrect because there was not enough info that showed the person purposely evaded him, because they later pulled over. This test is supposed to be for people with no LE experience so i said incorrect on lack of information. :?

·
Registered
334 Posts

Officer Dunngeon said:
Every civil service exam I have taken, I have gone up two points... last time I got a 97. This time, I really don't know. It was a lot more difficult because I think the rocket scientists who designed it are getting more and more thick. Anybody notice the question where the answer should have been must inform of the right to self-incrimination rather than what was printed as self-DISCRIMINATION?

There were a few other ones, like the one that said a police officer may not arrest for A. a misdemeanor in the presence, regardless of statute or D. an arrest warrant which must clearly be presented (or however it was worded)... what was up with that one?

I think the highlight of the exam was when the proctor for the room I was in wrote the address for Ashburton Place on the chalk board... all correspondence must be addressed to "Human RECOURSES." :evil:
Errrrr :evil: :evil: :evil:
I was thoroughly annoyed - I think I spotted a spelling/grammar error or a typo on almost every other page! This was my first HRD specific exam (as in not written by another agency, like MSP or MEP) and I thought it was a JOKE! Poorly written, poorly formated, and poorly published. I don't think it was ever even edited. It felt almost like the writer had no writing experience whatsoever. I am used to professionally published exams by testing agencies (Like the College Board, ACT, GMAT, LSAT, GRE, MBTI, and the like). HRD would be wise to contract the testing out to a firm that specializes in the field. It would cost less and they would get a better test that would yield more accurate results. As it is, I'm not sure exactly what the test is a measurement of - I understand what it is supposed to to, but I don't think it accomplishes its goal.

Also - I understand it is difficult, but, LOCATION IS KEY! Why have the test at middle schools with small desks and limited parking! They would do well to at least find proctors who could READ (mine couldn't read the instructions)

I think HRD definitely qualifies for today's DOPE SLAP!

Bitching aside, I didn't find the exam terribly difficult. I just sort of chuckled my way through it. We'll see how it goes!

-Eric

·
Registered
69 Posts

There was not a enough information to answer the question at all. It is for the lay person, so they need to tell us what is arrestable and what isn't. Correct, we don't know if failing to stop for a po is arrestable, nor do we know or told what the consquence for a speeding violation is either. So, they leave you with not enough to answer the question.a

·
Registered
334 Posts

sully161 said:
There was not a enough information to answer the question at all. It is for the lay person, so they need to tell us what is arrestable and what isn't. Correct, we don't know if failing to stop for a po is arrestable, nor do we know or told what the consquence for a speeding violation is either. So, they leave you with not enough to answer the question.a
This is one case in point for why outsourcing the creation of the test is the way to go! These companies DON'T make stupid mistakes like that - if they do, they don't get PAID!

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts

I also saw MANY questions that did not give enough information to make even a correct assumption. I did spend 20 minutes on the DISCRIMINATION one thinking there was something I missed. Overall tho the test was a bit harder this time around.

I plan on writing a letter about #69 to HRD. That was bullshit. Does anyone know if you can get a copy of the test incase you wanted to appeal a question you dont remmeber the number or correct wording for?

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I don't think you can get a copy but go through the appeals process. I would guess that's how you complain even if you aren't sure what you are appealing

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts

Vino5SJ said:
But it didnt say anywhere in there that failure to stop for a PO is arrestable. So i put incorrect because there was not enough info that showed the person purposely evaded him, because they later pulled over. This test is supposed to be for people with no LE experience so i said incorrect on lack of information. :?
Right, but you also have to keep in mind that you can't read too much into these questions, as people sometimes tend to do. The designers obviously need to go back to 3rd grade and proof-read their sloppy work before turning it in. I understand that the information of what is and isn't arrestable was not provided in the paragraph, but the other answers were more wrong than the wrong answer... at least I hope it was! Besides, as a citizen, you should know what your rights are and aren't in the Commonwealth. Before I was even involved in LE, I knew that I could not be arrested for speeding or running a red light, but I also knew I'd be in the shit if I didn't stop when a cop tried to pull me over!

Yes, the test was obviously written carelessly, and a it is a psychologist's dream to sit around and analyze all day what each and every question is SUPPOSED to mean, but unfortunately you have to pick the simplest answer, hard as it is do to. I think it's a common idea that the test is meant for a civilian who is not already involved in law enforcement, but I disagree with that. I think they do want people with some ideas or some experience to get their foot in the door and weed out all the rest until they have a better grasp on things.

From a political point of view, a lot of people who take these exams are the sons and daughters of police officers who have or are obtaining a degree in CJ, cadets, specials, reserves, part timers, etc. They want to get these people in. That's why I think in the minds of the creators of the exam, this is the so called "easy stuff" that their already knowledgeable kids, nephews, nieces, etc. would be able to answer.

Or maybe I'm just analyzing too much... :?: :?

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts

I put the officer was incorrect. You cannot make an arrest for speeding and red light. The guy accelrated and then pulled the MV over. Not enough for failure to stop. Also the self-discrimination was not a typo, it was a tricky question. I spent about 20 minutes on it, it was the other answer about disclosing all informartion about the investigation, you can disclose some informartion about what you are investigating. There were about ten questions that were tricky and you had to look really careful. Good luck

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts

I recall the question asking what do you HAVE to disclose. The paragraph said you did not have to disclose what you are interrogating them about or their status (and I forget the other one).

Oh well, it's not like anyone's gonna be hired off this test anyway!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.