Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on the board have experience with bypassing a candidate on the civil service list? The city I am in the running with might try to bypass me and another individual for some other guys under us. The reason has to do with two of them have criminal justice degrees (AS & BS). Also two other that they might hire do not have degrees. I also have a few speeding tickets but nothing within 2½ years. The police department said that they would use the few speeding tickets and the lack of the criminal justice degree as the negatives to bypass me and to hire the other individuals. Will those reasons uphold with the Civil Service Commission or not?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found out that they are going to try to by-pass me for this round. The thing is the Mayor is the only one that is trying to by-pass me. The police department has no problem hiring me. I know the chief and the captain pretty good along with alot of other individuals on the force, they know that I am a smart and qualified individual. The mayor stated that he feels I am too young and in a couple years I will be a good candidate. This sucks because in a couple years the list will be expired and a whole group of vet's will be back from the war. I think this is a good situation for using the 1 year probationary period. If in a year I don't live up to what the Mayor is looking for then get rid of me. But that is just my thought. They are going to try to by-pass me using the couple violations and that I failed (2) college courses the whole time I was there. That is the only negative things they could put down because the rest of my background is great. I am going back to school in the fall and trying to get my degree (I only need (9) courses) so next interview maybe that would look better. Plus I am calling the Captain that runs the auxiliary Police force in the city and seeing if I could Volunteer for that. I think this will also show more interest and drive for the job.

Thanks for the responses and advice so far.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.