Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
MassCops Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't all book with Boston Delta. What I wanted to know was if they book with MSP or the T do they still have to notify BPD. I heard a private agency failed to do this and some BPD superiors removed the prisoners from that agencies holding cell and transferred them to BPD cells

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
They don't all book with Boston Delta. What I wanted to know was if they book with MSP or the T do they still have to notify BPD. I heard a private agency failed to do this and some BPD superiors removed the prisoners from that agencies holding cell and transferred them to BPD cells
So in this instance the campus PD made the arrest and had the prisoner in their own holding cell and BPD demanded said prisoner be transferred into their BPD cell becuase they were never advised ? That's a first for me. I'm guessing that their may be a little more to the story than what you were told.

·
Registered
74 Posts
BPD in the Delta area USED to get mad when Private Companies with Specials made arrests and filled their cells. How things change...Maybe MASS should go to booking everyone at the County HOC... Then everyone could be on TV... hahaha..

·
75th N.H.P.A.
347 Posts
When I worked at BUPD some years ago I don't remember a requirement of notifying BPD of arrests. I also don't remember BPD looking for more prisoners.

515 CMR 5.07(2) requires special state police departments to report monthly to MSP felonies that have occurred within their statutory jurisdiction. See http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/msp/...al-state-police-standard-of-skill-515-cmr.pdf

When I worked there if bail for suspect seemed likely BUPD would keep the prisoner at our station in our "holding area" (not a cell, of course) until the bail commissioner came.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
when I was at emerson college if you booked at BPD you filled out a boston 1-1 . If you transported to the T you did not notify Boston of the arrest. We never booked at the MSP barracks due to our location.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I was a special and a campus cop in Boston in each job for several years. I have been away from Boston for a bit so things may have changed. Rule 400 for Boston Specials stated that BPD had to be notified of any arrests. Campus cops under MGL 22C don't have to notify BPD. The BPD union was trying to get a bill through the legislature which would basically make rule 400 type regulations applicable to campus cops appointed under MGL 22C in Boston. Not sure if they are still trying to go that route. Went to a public hearing at the State House in the late 90s on this and the public safety committee was really hot on it. Campus PO admins went crazy and it never became law that time.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,584 Posts
If court is in session, it's straight to court after booking at our station. I gladly comply with all BPD's (and whomever I'm dealing with) rules even though they can be a little cumbersome at times. It is their city and I respect that we're using their cells, as we all should.

Equal respect goes a long way. I stress EQUAL.

·
Registered
601 Posts
There is no requirement of booking prisoners at BPD...When I was with NU we sometimes took prisoners right down to Roxbury Court during the day shift..Imagine the phone call...District 4 calls recorded .HI BPD it's officer so and so..We have a disorderly arrest and are taking them down to RDC..them ok..hang up the phone and go why are the hell are they calling us?? and am I supposed to do something with the info??lollol, otherwise prisoners were transported to their station and a BPD 1-1 had to be written by the officer so BPD has some probable cause on paper as to why they are holding someone..So as you can see there are a few different answers to that seemingly simple question you asked...As Kilv said mutual respect was important..If we ever got attitude down there it would be given right back with the statement that we enjoyed being there about as much as they enjoyed booking our prisoners. Once they saw we were on the same page, You werent going to take crap, and that the whole thing was a pain for us as much as them they were usually pretty cool...Sometimes it was like dealing with the soup nazi...You would do everything right,walk on eggshells, follow the rules, and hand the 1-1- to the sgt and step aside from the desk just with the small hope you weren't going to have your balls busted..NO BOOKING FOR YOU!!!! 3 MONTHS!!!!

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
Sometimes it was like dealing with the soup nazi...You would do everything right,walk on eggshells, follow the rules, and hand the 1-1- to the sgt and step aside from the desk just with the small hope you weren't going to have your balls busted..NO BOOKING FOR YOU!!!! 3 MONTHS!!!!
Sounds more like a certain Lt. that used to work evenings on the district. Oh how I miss him. lol.

·
18,584 Posts
..NO BOOKING FOR YOU!!!! 3 MONTHS!!!!
LMAO:L:

I've had very little trouble at BPD slightly more at CPD but usually at most it's just the "Sigh, I have to do something, sigh." hell I don't want to do anything either but we all know, sometimes you HAVE to.

I know we in the non-municipal side of things (regardless of which job that might be) have our horror stories, but overall, I've found the people I'm dealing with are professional and decent. I'm grateful for that. I'm not looking to be your best buddy and hang with you or follow you around like a puppy, but I don't want to give or get grief either. Let's just do what we're paid to do and leave it at that. If we develope a very nice comfortable relationship, great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lt "NO SOUP FOR YOU" last time I was told was/is at E-5. Nothing like getting yeld for making a good arrest. Not one baggie, but 58 baggies with $900.... Booking was great 2-4 hours. NO SOUP FOR YOU BACK OF THE LINE.

oops dyslexia again.. yelled.... yeld is what you do on a streets... Damn mornings...

·
MassCops Member
46 Posts
So in this instance the campus PD made the arrest and had the prisoner in their own holding cell and BPD demanded said prisoner be transferred into their BPD cell becuase they were never advised ? That's a first for me. I'm guessing that their may be a little more to the story than what you were told.
A jurisdictional matter....a certain college police department from Comm av. witnessed a stabbing on a city street no where near their campus, however it was close to Boston Med Center. Officers arrested the suspect. Notified BPD, campus refused to release suspect from the police car when BPD arrived. Campus took suspect to their police station. Still refused to release prisoner to BPD even after the Superintendent arrived on scene and spoke to the chief from the campus. Superintendent had to call Sheriff Cabral and DA Conley to instruct Campus officers to release prisoner to BPD. After many hours the campus released the prisoner and told BPD that they would handle the court complaints. Again after DA Conley told them that it was outside their jurisdiction. Best part of the story.....that night at roll call the Deputy addressed the officers and told them that a meeting had been held with campus departments and it was agreed that any crimes that happen on a city street would be handled and responded to by BPD officers, any crimes on campuses would be handles by a campus officer......he was not too happy when he had to return two hours later and deal with this nonsense. Please reference my past posts about same issues.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Lt "NO SOUP FOR YOU" last time I was told was/is at E-5. Nothing like getting yeld for making a good arrest. Not one baggie, but 58 baggies with $900.... Booking was great 2-4 hours. NO SOUP FOR YOU BACK OF THE LINE.

oops dyslexia again.. yelled.... yeld is what you do on a streets... Damn mornings...
Did this certain LT. used to work at A-1? Last name like a part of your face?

·
18,584 Posts
A jurisdictional matter....a certain college police department from Comm av. witnessed a stabbing on a city street no where near their campus, however it was close to Boston Med Center. Officers arrested the suspect. Notified BPD, campus refused to release suspect from the police car when BPD arrived. Campus took suspect to their police station. Still refused to release prisoner to BPD even after the Superintendent arrived on scene and spoke to the chief from the campus. Superintendent had to call Sheriff Cabral and DA Conley to instruct Campus officers to release prisoner to BPD. After many hours the campus released the prisoner and told BPD that they would handle the court complaints. Again after DA Conley told them that it was outside their jurisdiction. Best part of the story.....that night at roll call the Deputy addressed the officers and told them that a meeting had been held with campus departments and it was agreed that any crimes that happen on a city street would be handled and responded to by BPD officers, any crimes on campuses would be handles by a campus officer......he was not too happy when he had to return two hours later and deal with this nonsense. Please reference my past posts about same issues.
In that instance that certain department was wrong, no question. Whenever we've grabbed someone off property (and honestly, unless you're some place like UMass/Boston where the property is segregated, you can't help but trip over something on a city street now and then and I'll be damned I'm going to ignore a felony because it's not on my property. I will ALWAYS notify the locals and hand over the arrest should they want it. Hell, without me going to court as well, they probably won't get diddly if I'm the one who witnessed it, so what do I have to lose? Nothing, I get paid too and the lowlife is STILL locked up.

If the locals decline, fine and dandy, I'll take it, but I never NOT offer it up. That's how it should always be.

But just like that department screwed up that time, I've dealt with locals who've screwed up and I will not ever judge that whole department because of one or two morons or possibly good decent guys who made an error. It happens. I would hope everyone feels this way. It goes back to my EQUAL respect belief.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest and if this was my agency we would in fact be required to offer up jurisdiction no questions asked, but from a purely legal standpoint, this was an onsite felony arrest, made by an Officer near the Medical Center, which is part of their campus, and within the County in which the Officer is Deputized. So on what legal grounds is the officer required to relinquish this lawfully arrested prisoner. Again, this is a strictly a legal question that I'm hoping that someone may shed some light on and not a philisophical stance on what the officer should or should not have done from a professional courtesy / mutual respect standpoint.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts