Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm IOD with a knee injury and have a lot of time on my hands. I've been doing a lot of surfing and learned that I may be eligible to hold dual US-Irish citizenship because me sainted grandmother on my father's side was born in County Waterford in the 1870's or so.

Apparently there's a lot of hoops to jump through, though. Personally to me the hoop jumping is worth it 1) because right now I can't do anything else, and 2) my wife and I travel a lot and quite frankly I'd rather travel under an Irish passport, what with all these terror nuts out there.

So- now to my questions- finally!

1) I'm currently on the job in a Civil Service municipality. Does anyone have any info as to wether dual citizenship can affect my employment status as a cop? I don't want to ask any of the bosses at work because I figure they'll just decide its too tough a question and they'll just say no, it's not allowable, like they always do with tough questions.

2) Will this freaking cast ever stop itching?

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
sdb,
I thougt you could only get a dual citizenship if you were a first generation American. I've alway considered doing what your talking about because my father was born south west of Gallway, Ireland. Hmmmmmm.....intrestesting, what are the chances of finding 2 Irish cops on this website?????

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Rock";p="66919 said:
Hmmmmmm.....intrestesting, what are the chances of finding 2 Irish cops on this website?????
I'd say slim to none seeing where Massachusetts is simply overrun with Ukrainians! :roll: :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
SDB,

Did you get the book? I can't recall the name of the book, but on my last trip to St. Augustine, FL I was in this neat little Celtic shop, and they actually had a book with the step by step directions to getting this done. If you haven't got it, you may want to look on Amazon or something like that.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I say, I've had a lot of time on my hands. According to the Irish Consulate website http://www.irelandemb.org/fbr.html, Irish citizenship is automatic for 1)anyone born in Ireland whose parents are not diplomats, and 2) anyone born outside Ireland whose mother or father is an Irish citizen.

Therefore, the way I read the webpage, my father was a first generation Irish citizen even though he probably didn't know it due to the fact that his mother, Me Sainted Grandmother, was born in County Waterford.

Assuming that I read the webpage correctly and the above is true, the webpage goes on to say "Anyone born outside Ireland, whose father or mother is an Irish citizen NOT born in Ireland, can become an Irish citizen by having his or her birth entered in the Irish Register of Foreign Births at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin or at the nearest Irish diplomatic or consular mission. In the United States there are five offices who process Foreign Birth Registration applications. "

Further it says "For individuals applying for registration, the usual situation is one where citizenship derives from an Irish-born grandparent. Application forms and a factsheet detailing the registration process may be requested from one of the above offices."

Long story short I'm ok on how to do it, I'm just not sure if I can do it without affecting my employment status. I suppose as long as I keep quiet about it and don't put Garda Síochána patches on my uniform I should be ok.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
SDB,

Another thing to consider is future employment. I'm not sure if you are ever looking to move on from where you are now, but at a new employment application, especially with the feds, it may cause them to look at you with greater concern. Ireland is a friendly country, but they still may wonder why you hold dual citizenship.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PearlOnyx";p="66972 said:
SDB,

Another thing to consider is future employment. I'm not sure if you are ever looking to move on from where you are now, but at a new employment application, especially with the feds, it may cause them to look at you with greater concern. Ireland is a friendly country, but they still may wonder why you hold dual citizenship.
Nope. No plans like that. Seven years and a wakeup and I'll be running a bait shop in Belize or something like that. I will never again own a pair of long pants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.