Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man dies after police beating
Videotape shows 400-pound man lunging at police officers

CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- A 400-pound black man died after being struck repeatedly by police wielding metal nightsticks, and the mayor said Monday a videotape showed that the officers were defending themselves.

The cause of death was under investigation.

Black activists say the death Sunday of Nathaniel Jones, 41, was another example of brutality involving Cincinnati police.

The fatal shooting of an unarmed 19-year-old black man by a white police officer in April 2001 prompted four days of rioting in the city.

The disturbances resulted in dozens of injuries, more than 800 arrests and widespread property damage.

"How many of our people have to die before the city decides to do something about it?" said Nathaniel Livingston Jr. of the Coalition for a Just Cincinnati.

The Rev. Daymond Lynch, a leader of the Black United Front, said he was reserving judgment until more was known about the case.

But, Lynch said, "if police officers act improperly, we expect them to be held accountable."

The officers who were at the scene -- five whites and one black -- were placed on administrative leave, which is policy while investigators examine any police encounter that results in a death.

The confrontation was videotaped by a camera on a police cruiser. After seeing the video, Mayor Charlie Luken rejected activists' demand that he force police Chief Thomas Streicher Jr. to resign.

"What I saw was a 400-pound man violently attacking a police officer in a manner that put the lives of police officers at risk," Luken said.

"While the investigations will continue, there is nothing on those tapes to suggest that the police did anything wrong."

Luken said he agreed with the initial police assessment that the officers who struggled with Jones defended themselves as they were trained to do when attacked.

An employee at a White Castle fast-food restaurant called 911 early Sunday to report that a man had passed out on the grass outside. Emergency personnel arrived and reported that the man was awake and "becoming a nuisance," according to police radio transmissions.

The first two officers to arrive, Baron Osterman and James Pike, were shown on the video striking Jones after he was warned to stay back.

Jones then lunged at one of the two white officers and knocked him down. As they struggled to handcuff him, the officers kept yelling, "Put your hands behind your back."

They called for an ambulance when Jones appeared to be in distress. He died within minutes of arriving at University Hospital, Assistant Chief Richard Janke said. The reason for Jones' behavior was not known, Janke said.

The cause of Jones' death was under investigation.
The treatment of the officers involved in the incident by department leaders upset Roger Webster, president of the Fraternal Order of Police in Cincinnati.

"The officers were treated as criminals," he told a reporter. "They were read their rights. In that video, what did these officers do wrong?"

Black activist groups staged an economic boycott of Cincinnati after the 2001 shooting of Timothy Thomas, who was wanted on prior charges of fleeing police when he ran from officers.

Officer Stephen Roach shot him in a dark alley and was later cleared at trial of criminal charges.

Civil rights leaders blamed what they called years of abuse by the police department for the anger in the black community. Thomas was the 15th black suspect killed by police since 1995.

A federal investigation of that shooting, requested by the city, resulted in Cincinnati's April 2002 agreement to tighten use of force policies and to improve handling of citizen complaints against the police.

The agreement, signed by U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, specifies when and how police officers should use force, when and how they can engage in foot pursuits, and how they deal with those who are mentally ill.

Last February, a white officer chased and fatally shot a black man who was spotted running from a store that had been broken into, police said.

The police, Hamilton County prosecutor and the Citizen Complaint Authority review panel concluded that the shooting was justified because the suspect was beating the officer with his nightstick.

After seeing the footage all I can say is WOW. What a big, big dude and what a dangerous situation those officers were in. I am sure many of you have seen the video but what has suprised me is that the Mayor and the Police Union have been so outspoken and supported the officers. I hope they will continue to support these officers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This has nothing, nothing to do with color................During the arrest process you can see how much stress is on the police officers using the force necessary to effect the arrest. I have found one thing to be true while policing and that is the most difficult thing to do when doing police work is cuffing someone who does not want to be cuffed. It is the suspects health problems that killed him not the police. All he had to do was follw the verbal commands of the police officer............When will society accept the fact we are not social workers but police officers who want to go home each and every night safe.............I am not here to be abused by anyone not even the department. :idea:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Resist Arrest

I just saw on the news, the Mayor of Cincinnatti appears to be supporting the police officers involved.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Seems the autopsy has discovered that the guy had cocaine and PCP within his system..Id be willing to wager that the drugs are what killed him.....Extremely large man... cocaine... bad for heart...... :bat:

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Fat boy instigated and the cops ended it. They did a great job, by the book.. Verbal commands, body shots, etc... Like pancakeman said, I'm not out there to be some shitbirds punching bag. Unfortunately the police will have to endure more race riots because a black man died..... It's great that the mayor, chief and union pres publicly sided with the officers. But Sharpton, Jackson, Johnny Cockring, the NAAP and ACLU are gonna be all over this till the city cowtows and settles the inevitable lawsuit. Who cares that he was jacked on 94c's.. Black man was killed by the cops!!! Bullshit.....

No way this would have made the local news let alone national news if it was just some white boy that died.

·
1,952 Posts
I don't like the fact that CNN scrolling headlines were "Man dies after Cop beating" Press is power and everyone that doesnt know that they acted within the limit of force is going to go against them.

HOWEVER...

He's not breathing.... ok.... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

That is disturbing, 8 or 9 officers and none start BLS. That is not the officers fault though if the dept doesnt require it, so that may (hopefully) will change.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No way this would have made the local news let alone national news if it was just some white boy that died.
Unfortunately, the reality is that the above is correct, and no matter whether the suspect had an uzi and was shooting up the neighborhood, or if he was struck with a baton after swinging wildly at officers, or if he was nearly 400 punds and high on pcp and cocaine and trying to kill officers, the police are always going to be wrong in the eyes of the NAACP, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the rest of the groups that share similar views. Had the suspect killed an officer or 2, these same groups would have made excuses for the suspect, and Jonny Cochran would be providing legal sevices at no cost for the "poor black man" being harassed by the evil cops.

Its a no win situation. It doesnt matter to them that the guy weighed nearly 400 pounds, had an "enlarged heart" and was full of PCP and cocaine, and was repeatedly trying to give officers a beating. It doesnt matter that the video shows that even after deploying their batons, and striking the suspect in self defense, the suspect continued to get up from the ground, and try to knock the officer's heads off. None of it matters. Their minds are made up as soon as the story breaks, and they begin to point fingers and demand resignations no matter how appropriately the officers reacted.

It is always a black and white issue with these groups. Its never a matter of right and wrong. I just hope that if everything is as it appears, the city and the department continue to back the officers.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,679 Posts
Unfortunate incident with proper response by responding officers.
Drugs do kill, don't they?
:shock:

Bottom line is the men did as trained, and went home to their families alive!
[-o<

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
mpd61 said:
Unfortunate incident with proper response by responding officers.
Drugs do kill, don't they?
:shock:

Bottom line is the men did as trained, and went home to their families alive!
[-o<
Absolutely our boys went home alive and the bad guy did not! Everyone be careful out there. I have wrestled guys 250lbs and guys 120lbs and they are all just as deadly when they are coked out or PCPed up.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Coroner: Struggle with Cincinnati police primary cause of man's death
By John Nolan, Associated Press, 12/3/2003

CINCINNATI -- The coroner said Wednesday that a struggle with police was the primary cause in the death of a 350-pound black man whose scuffle with officers outside a fast-food restaurant has prompted outcry among black activists in Cincinnati.

Hamilton County Coroner Carl Parrott said Nathaniel Jones, 41, suffered from an enlarged heart, obesity and had intoxicating levels of cocaine, PCP and methanol in his blood.

Parrott said the death will be ruled a homicide, but added that such a ruling "should not be interpreted as implying inappropriate behavior or the use of excessive force by police."

"They talk about Skip like he was an animal," said his grandmother, Bessie Jones. "He wasn't. Skipper was just a good old, fat jolly fella. He wasn't violent."

"Everyone he met, that he touched, loved him," said his aunt, Diane Payton. "He was never mean."
Are you kidding me?! Apparently they are oblivious or in denial. Same thing, every time... "He was a nice boy, he never hurt anyone!" :roll:

Full article: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...ti_police_primary_cause_of_mans_death?mode=PF

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Im sure he was a wonderful, loving, caring, human being.. provoked and assaulted by evil police officers.. You should all be ashamed to wear the badge! Evil dirty homicidal law breaking bastards! :roll: :up: :bat:

·
Registered
9 Posts
csauce30 said:
Unfortunately, the reality is that the above is correct, and no matter whether the suspect had an uzi and was shooting up the neighborhood, or if he was struck with a baton after swinging wildly at officers, or if he was nearly 400 punds and high on pcp and cocaine and trying to kill officers, the police are always going to be wrong in the eyes of the NAACP, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the rest of the groups that share similar views. Had the suspect killed an officer or 2, these same groups would have made excuses for the suspect, and Jonny Cochran would be providing legal sevices at no cost for the "poor black man" being harassed by the evil cops.

Its a no win situation. It doesnt matter to them that the guy weighed nearly 400 pounds, had an "enlarged heart" and was full of PCP and cocaine, and was repeatedly trying to give officers a beating. It doesnt matter that the video shows that even after deploying their batons, and striking the suspect in self defense, the suspect continued to get up from the ground, and try to knock the officer's heads off. None of it matters. Their minds are made up as soon as the story breaks, and they begin to point fingers and demand resignations no matter how appropriately the officers reacted.

It is always a black and white issue with these groups. Its never a matter of right and wrong. I just hope that if everything is as it appears, the city and the department continue to back the officers.
Gentlemen and ladies lets remember one thing that through the years we don't see white men being clubbed on national tv and if you know of such case please inform me of it. There is no question up to now that the officers were justified for doing what they did, but we yet to here all the facts from A-Z. I do know one thing that when you shoot an unarmed indivdual that is black you will be under the public eye, and it happened in cinci. When you shove things in someones rectum and that person happens to be black there is a big problem. And if you know anything about mass compliance techniques on defensive tactics there are other ways to have an indivdual place his or her hands behind their back. Just because he was fighting and now that person is on the ground, gives you no right or protection under the law to continue striking them and once again please follow any cases where a white man has been beaten on camera. The facts are that we are always going to have problems with race. Last but i'm sure not least, we need to see the video from begining to end.unfortunately the media only gives us what they want us to believe.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
The full video link is located somewhere above in the previous posts.. Watch a few episodes of COPS to see white people, or anybody get struck clubbed, subdued and the like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mopar6972 said:
The full video link is located somewhere above in the previous posts.. Watch a few episodes of COPS to see white people, or anybody get struck clubbed, subdued and the like.
Please let me know what episodes have them all on tape since they started cops. I would like to see which one shows continiuos hitting and mistreatment none because they know they are being filmed...THANKYOU :D

Know that i have seen the video lets ask let me ask this....0558 video camrea is off.

0600 it's back on and officers are starting to fight with victim.

0602 victim clearly asking for help officers still on top of him and yelling put your hands behind your back and on top of victim.

0603 victim finally handcuffed.

0604 oh guess what he's not breathing call for EMS..

For all you folks that don't think there is at least a little bit of a problem standby, because in need all you law enforcement experts on here to help me with this one. A victim that heavy left on his stomach ammmm maybe position ---------- can't remember exactly what it's called. ya thats right but who cares he was a druggie who deserved it thats the way we should look at it.......I guess thats why we all deserve to be officers of the law.

Well that is it for me on this matter, because black or white no one deserves to die asking for help. And i say it again i hope the police officers get back to work but there has to be more answers.

HE WHO HAS NOT SINNED CAST THE FIRST STONE.......

THANK GOD FOR NO POLYGRAPH IN MASS BECAUSE ALL THE PREVIOUS DRUG USER THAT WE HAVE SERVING IN OR WONDERFUL STATE WOULD BE DOING SOMETHING ELSE. GET IT LADIES AND GENTS

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
[/quote]Please let me know what episodes have them all on tape since they started cops. I would like to see which one shows continiuos hitting and mistreatment none because they know they are being filmed...THANKYOU :D[/quote]

If you had carefully read my post no where did I mention the continous beating of anybody. The point was, that this a risk of the job. None of us were present in Cincinnati, none of us know how the officers were feeling, if they were scared, etc etc. Mistreatment maybe in your eyes... How often have you dealt with a extremely large person with PCP on board, who attempted to take your head off? It is pointless to play armchair quarterback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please let me know what episodes have them all on tape since they started cops. I would like to see which one shows continiuos hitting and mistreatment none because they know they are being filmed...THANKYOU :D[/quote]

If you had carefully read my post no where did I mention the continous beating of anybody. The point was, that this a risk of the job. None of us were present in Cincinnati, none of us know how the officers were feeling, if they were scared, etc etc. Mistreatment maybe in your eyes... How often have you dealt with a extremely large person with PCP on board, who attempted to take your head off? It is pointless to play armchair quarterback.[/quote]

That is true but I grew up fighting junkies and losers I din't live in a perfect town like others

·
Registered
968 Posts
This discussion is goin a little to far.....It's as simple as this....suspect was given an order.....he did not obey.....necessary force was used given the suspects condition and aggressiveness. It is unfortunate that he died, but oh well.....I don't remember seeing these police officers giving him PCP and coke. That was his choice to make and it cost him his life. If anything it makes me sick that this is such a big deal, it gives the media a hard on to show anything that may stir up problems with police officers. Notice the media has yet to talk about the off duty NYPD rookie officer who was walking home from his girlfriends house and was stabbed by two little scumbag teenie boppers looking to score some cash so they can feed their habit(not news to them, thank god he didnt kill the two punks in self defense.....the papers and tv along with some minister would be right there calling it a tragedy). I am not a PO yet so for me I haven't earned any right to judge any officer....but I will say that I support the Cincy officers...they are on the job and made a judgement call....one that got them home safe to their wife and kids.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.