Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

How much time, if any, will Chuck Turner be sentenced?

• Federal Probation Only

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Less than 1 year

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • 1 - 3 Years

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • 3 - 5 Years

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • More than 5 Years

Votes: 2 6.9%
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BOSTON -- FBI agents arrested troubled State Sen. Dianne Wilkerson a short time ago..
The Roxbury democrat was reportedly taken into custody in connection with a corruption investigation.
A news conference is schedule at the U.S. Attorney's office later Tuesday morning.

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Diane Wilkerson Arrested BY FBI

BOSTON (AP) -- Massachusetts state Sen. Dianne Wilkerson was arrested by the FBI on Tuesday and charged with accepting $23,500 in bribes from undercover agents she believed were local businessmen.
Wilkerson, the lone black member of the state Senate, was charged with attempted extortion as a public official and theft of honest services as a state senator.
Wilkerson, 53, lost the Democratic primary in September to Sonia Chang-Diaz, but was running a sticker campaign against her in the Nov. 4 election. She has held her seat in the Senate since 1993, but has faced a number of legal and ethical charges.
According to a federal criminal complaint, Wilkerson was recorded by audio and videotape accepting bribes.
Between June 2007 and March 2008, Wilkerson allegedly took $8,500 in cash payments from an undercover agent and a cooperating witness to help a proposed nightclub in her district get a liquor license.
She allegedly pressured the Boston License Board, Mayor Thomas Menino and City Council on behalf of the nightclub, and delayed legislation that would have increased the salaries of members of the licensing board.
Beginning in June, she allegedly accepted $15,000 in payments in exchange for helping an undercover officer posing as a businessman to avoid the bidding process to develop state property in Roxbury.
Wilkerson faces up to 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines on each count.
The new charges are the latest in a string of troubles to plague the lawmaker.
On Friday, the state Bar Counsel filed a complaint against Wilkerson, accusing her of lying under oath in an effort to overturn her nephew's manslaughter conviction. The penalty could include disbarment.
The complaint alleges Wilkerson signed a false affidavit and lied at a 2005 court hearing seeking a new trial for Jermaine Berry, who was convicted of voluntary manslaughter. It says Wilkerson also lied to the bar counsel in its investigation of the allegations against her.
In September 2005, the state attorney general and head of the state's campaign finance office filed a lawsuit against Wilkerson, alleging she had not reported nearly $27,000 in donations and refused to explain more than $18,000 in personal reimbursements.
The civil suit alleged the Boston Democrat and her former campaign treasurer, Ajibola Osinubi, violated state campaign finance laws in seven ways from 2000 to 2001 after Wilkerson settled with both offices for similar offenses in 1998.
Wilkerson was previously sentenced to house arrest in December 1997 after pleading guilty for failing to pay $51,000 in federal income taxes in the early 1990s.
In 2001, she also was fined $1,000 by the State Ethics Commission for failing to properly report that a bank she lobbied for as senator was paying her more than $20,000 a year as a consultant.
In 1998, Wilkerson entered into an agreement with the OCPF and attorney general to resolve similar allegations of unexplained expenditures and undisclosed political action committee contributions. She and her committee agreed to pay back all unaccounted expenditures and to pay civil penalties totaling $11,500.
Wilkerson was suspended from practicing law for one year in 1999 after a tax evasion conviction and did not seek reinstatement.Chang-Diaz also faces controversy. An attorney has filed a complaint with the state Ethics Commission claiming state she wrongly asserted on her Web site that she had been endorsed by a Spanish-language newspaper.
Brian Monahan tells The Boston Globe that his client, Natalie Hernandez, based her decision to vote for Chang-Diaz instead of Wilkerson in the September Democratic primary because she believed the challenger had been endorsed by the paper, El Mundo.
An editor at the paper wrote a column endorsing Chang-Diaz, but it did not represent an endorsement from the newspaper. Chang-Diaz's campaign manager says it was an "honest mistake" and the endorsement claim has been removed from the campaign Web site.
LOWELL SUN

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts

I wonder if she will still wage her "write-in" and "sticker" campaign to get re-elected......Don't laugh, she lost in the primaries before and still got voted in. This was AFTER she served time in a Federal Halfway House for Tax Evasion.......

Do you think Mumbles and Deval will still support her in her struggle against Da Man????

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts

The more things change, the more they stay the same in that district. As stated above, the electorate in that district have voted her back into office after her many failures in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if this gets her bigger numbers in the polls, proving the old addage that "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Feds say these photos show Ms. Wilkerson stuffing payoff money into her bra. Other photos have also been made available to the press.

G

·

That makes three senators in a row from the 2nd Suffolk to be indicted/arrested by the feds.

Who wants to bet she still won't do any time?

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts

Who wants to bet she still won't do any time?
with free them all Duval on her side she will do no time

Legal Expert: Wilkerson Will Likely See Jail Time

View: Slideshow of Evidence Photos
Read: Wilkerson Arrested

Read: Jon Keller's Blog

Sen. Diane Wilkerson refused to speak to reporters after being released from jail on $50,000 bail.
WBZ

BOSTON (WBZ) ― As Sen. Diane Wilkerson was released from jail Tuesday on $50,000 after she was arrested on federal charges of attempted extortion, many are wondering if she will actually see any jail time.

Agents say Wilkerson was caught on video taking some of the $23,000 in bribes from undercover agents posing as businessmen.

If convicted, Wilkerson faces up to 20 years in prison, plus fines of $250,000 on each count.

Legal analyst and former prosecutor Jennifer Roman says the evidence against Wilkerson is overwhelming.

"I wouldn't want to be defense counsel, I'll tell you that," Roman said. "The evidence includes very incriminating statements by Diane Wilkerson herself on tape, and there are photographs. What else could the prosecution ask for?"

What are odds that case will actually go to trial?

"I think it's highly unlikely this case will go to trial," Roman said. "There is so much evidence here. We're only seeing one side, but what we've seen so far is pretty incriminating. Diane Wilkerson's counsel is probably saying to her right now, if all this evidence is true and this all pans out, what they (prosecutors) say they have they actually have, let's talk plea.

"Let's try to minimize your jail sentence. Let's try to minimize the amount of fine that you'll have to pay. Let's basically try to get out as little damage to you as possible."

What's the likelihood Wilkerson will see jail time?

"I think Diane Wilkerson will see jail time," Roman said. "It's going to become a question of how much. Because it's 20 years maximum if she was to go to trial, if all the factors were in place and the judge felt 20 years was warranted. It's more likely that she will see a couple of years and probably a lengthy probation period with a very hefty fine."

http://wbztv.com/local/dianne.wilkerson.diane.2.850860.html

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts

I am evilly cackling with glee at Wilkerson's downfall...it couldn't have happened to a nicer politician!

I hope you rot in jail for 20 years....

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts

The governor issued a statement today calling the allegations against Wilkerson "troubling and sad."
Senate President Therese Murray, who has campaigned with Wilkerson in the past, said she was seeking an investigation by the Senate Ethics Committee. Murray also said she would seek to have Wilkerson removed from her post as chairwoman of the Joint Committee on State Administration and Regulatory Oversight.

Senate Republican Leader Richard Tisei called on her to resign.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts

actually feel bad for old Diane. thought she could wheel and deal with all the crooks at the state house , but didn't have the juice or connections to keep out of jail.

not that she didn't have it coming , but there's a hell of a lot more carpet baggers that could go up the river with her

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

The governor issued a statement today calling the allegations against Wilkerson "troubling and sad."
Senate President Therese Murray, who has campaigned with Wilkerson in the past, said she was seeking an investigation by the Senate Ethics Committee. Murray also said she would seek to have Wilkerson removed from her post as chairwoman of the Joint Committee on State Administration and Regulatory Oversight.

Senate RINO Leader Richard Tisei called on her to resign.
FIFY.

·
MassCops Member
23 Posts

I was disgusted with this puke of a person dating back to when we were forced to listen to her DWB garbage in my RTT. This couldn't have happened to a better person. .

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts

Wilkerson To Continue Campaign Amid Bribery Charges

State Senator Accused Of Taking Money From Undercover Agents

POSTED: 2:36 pm EDT October 29, 2008
UPDATED: 3:50 pm EDT October 29, 2008

BOSTON -- State Sen. Diane Wilkerson plans to continue her re-election campaign amid accusations that she took thousands of dollars in bribes from undercover agents posing as businessmen, according to the Boston Globe.

Undercover Photos | PDF: Criminal Complaint

The 53-year-old Democrat appeared in federal court Tuesday on charges of attempted extortion as a public official and theft of honest services as a state senator and was freed on $50,000 bond.
Wilkerson will announce her plans on Wednesday to go forward with her write-in campaign, the newspaper reported. She lost in the October Democratic primary race to challenger Sonia Chang-Diaz, but she hoped to win re-election with write-in votes.

Wilkerson allegedly accepted thousands of dollars in cash bribes at Beacon Hill area restaurants in exchange for her help securing a liquor license for a nightclub and her influence designating state land for private development. The FBI released a series of photos that allegedly show Wilkerson accepting cash. One photo shows the senator allegedly shoving money into her bra.

Meanwhile, Wilkerson's attorney urged against a rush to judgment.

"Despite the pictures that the United States attorney has chosen to show just a week before the election, I'm sure you know that there's a context to every one of the interactions you've been told about," Max Stern said.

Her legal troubles are only the latest in a string of controversies that have swirled around her since her 1992 election to the Statehouse, including tax evasion charges and accusations of lying in connection with a murder case.

It was two months ago that Wilkerson told NewsCenter 5 that her problems were behind her. The senator had just been hit with a $10,000 fine by the attorney general's office for campaign finance violations.

In a career of alleged financial and ethical wrongdoing it was not her first penalty, but during the interview, she said it was her last.

"Oh, it's done. There is nothing. No outstanding matter," Wilkerson said in late August as she prepared for a tough primary election that she would go on to lose.

She was confident that was the last of her problems.

"I think it's a character flaw, " Wilkerson said.

She was not contrite about her checkered past of tax evasion, house arrest and a suspended law license. She suggested her problems resulted from selflessness.

"You know why I say that because no matter how much I know, I have never been able to put my own stuff priority of importance over other people that I see that I think need me more," she said.

The one-time welfare mother who worked her way through law school and eventually to Beacon Hill as a champion of good government was feeling proud about her legislative accomplishments.

"I think I've come off the most productive two-year term," she said.

This was the period that the FBI said she was engaging in old-school political corruption.

Wilkerson gave NewsCenter 5 an example of how her concern for others sometimes puts her and her family second.

"I've had days when I go home and probably two or three times, I turn on the lights and the lights doesn't don't come on. And I say, 'God, when did I last pay an electric bill?'" Wilkerson said.

She said that her career choice as a legislator had caused severe financial struggle.

"That shift from leaving the private sector and coming here -- taking the $60,000 pay cut. I was a partner then. I had $35,000. I will tell you that was a major adjustment for me. Thought I had a plan for how I was going to do it. So the plan didn't work out, and so it's not that simple," Wilkerson said.

Previous Stories:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/17840026/detail.html

G

·

Na na na na na na na na na hey hey hey your gone. Feds don't play someones going to pay. Let's see if she believes in no sniching

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts

I for one would love to see Sen Wilkerson plead not guilty and take the stand in her own defense. The AUSA would tear her to pieces, but alas she will probably take a plea deal get a couple years at some cushy fed halfway house. The only hope is she gives up a few other corrupt pols and opens up a few more elected spots.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.