Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New cruisers on the road

by The Republican Newsroom Monday August 11, 2008, 7:38 AM

Photo by Lori Stabile / The RepublicanMonson Police Officer Donald C. Emerson is seen with one of the department's new Dodge Chargers. The department got three new Chargers in July to replace its old Ford Crown Victorias, and also changed the color scheme to black and white.
By LORI STABILE
[email protected]

Police departments have long used the Ford Crown Victoria for police cruisers, but some are trading in tradition for a new, flashier model.
Enter the Dodge Charger, a sleeker and some say faster and more fuel efficient cruiser that's becoming more visible in area police departments.
Take Monson, which just added three to its ranks, joining a black Charger that the police chief has been using for 2½ years.
And Ludlow, which is switching over its entire patrol fleet to Chargers.
Still, despite the hype surrounding the Charger, which first gained notoriety in the 1960s as a muscle car, some departments are resisting the change and sticking with the Crown Victoria despite news that Ford will be phasing out production within a few years.
"I don't hear a big swell of 'let's get rid of the Fords and go with the Chargers ... But everyone's looking at the bottom line," said Chief Philip J. Adams, executive director of the Western Massachusetts Police Chiefs Association.
In Monson's case, the Chargers turned out to be a cheaper and more fuel efficient model, Police Chief Stephen Kozloski Jr. said
Kozloski, whose own Charger is a V8, bought V6s for his officers. They arrived last month and numerous residents have asked about them. They have been likened to a "decepticon" - a robot from "Transformers."
Kozloski said he saved $3,195 by buying the three Chargers instead of three Fords.
Like many departments, Monson buys new cruisers on a cycle, retiring old ones with heavy mileage. Kozloski said the fuel economy is also expected to be better, with 16 mpg combined highway and city for the Fords compared to 20 mpg combined for the Dodges.
"They are a nice-looking car, a very well-performing car. People, I think just because of the design of the car, think they are considerably more expensive," Kozloski said.
"We're trying to stretch our budget as best as we can," said Kozloski, noting the financial stress the town is under.
His department will be buying new cruisers again in two years. By then, Kozloski will be able to compare maintenance costs of the two brands. Overall, Kozloski said feedback has been good, although it has taken some officers time to get used to the new cars.
Kozloski said he did his research before making the decision and talked with departments that have Chargers, such as Ludlow, which has the Charger on its Web page.
"We're the first department in the area to switch over. We started three years ago," said Ludlow Lt. Robert Rodrigues.
They use the V8s and opted to change because of repair issues with the Fords, he said. Rodrigues said the Dodges have a roomier back seat and are saving money in gas. The department still has a few Fords left, he said.
"So far I haven't heard any complaints. I think the switchover has been worth it," Rodrigues said.
The Chargers also are making an appearance as state police vehicles. Trooper Eric J. Benson said Crown Victorias are still the mainstay of the state police, but 40 Chargers with the "police package" have been purchased.
"We're evaluating the Charger as a potential replacement if and when the Crown Victoria is discontinued," Benson said.
In Chicopee, Lt. Daniel P. Sullivan said his department is supposed to get a Charger this week. He expects it to save on fuel costs.
Westfield Sgt. Brian J. Boldini said he's been hearing for years that Ford will stop making the Crown Victoria. He said his department is sticking with the Crown Victorias, but also uses the Ford Taurus. He said the Crown Victoria delivers for a good price and the department will use it.
In Longmeadow, Police Chief Robert R. Danio is bucking the trend and going with new, all-wheel drive Ford Tauruses. Danio said he's heard the Chargers have poor visibility from side and rear windows, as well as a small trunk.
Like the other departments, Danio was looking for a fuel efficient alternative to the Crown Victoria and expects to save 30 percent on fuel costs with the Taurus.
"Our fuel costs have just doubled. And who knows what's in store for next year ... In this particular market, cities and towns have to look for alternatives," Danio said.

In Monson's case, the Chargers turned out to be a cheaper and more fuel efficient model, Police Chief Stephen Kozloski Jr. said
Kozloski, whose own Charger is a V8, bought V6s for his officers.
Why give a V8 to the guys actually stopping cars?? Give the V8 to the Chief, because sometimes you have to really step on it to get to a City Council meeting or a Golf date.

·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chief Kozloski might as well go to all the roll calls and spit in each officer's face. What a douche.
I think you're going a bit far. He wouldn't spit in their faces, just wave his Chief's badge at roll call and say "If you don't like me having a V-8, too bad. Why? Because I SAID SO."

There is absolutely no reason for a Chief to have a better car than his Officers. Anytime a Chief shows up to a scene, they are useless. If a Department doesn't have competent Lieutenants and Sgts that can handle anything, they are doomed anyway. Well...competent Sgts, anyway.:p

G

·
There is absolutely no reason for a Chief to have a better car than his Officers. Anytime a Chief shows up to a scene, they are useless. If a Department doesn't have competent Lieutenants and Sgts that can handle anything, they are doomed anyway. Well...competent Sgts, anyway.
Not to mention the V-6 is not holding up well in patrol work; the Braintree PD bought a couple of them and they were quickly relegated as spares because of so many mechanical and electrical issues. The Hemi hasn't had the same types of problems.

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
Maybe Monson should worry about going fully time rather than having 4 chargers so the guys out at C5 don't have to be bothered during the midshift.

·
Super Moderator
7,134 Posts
While I don't agree that the Chief should have a better equipped car than the troops - it was purchased 2 1/2 years ago, according to the article (when gas was around $2 a gallon and not as big of a deal as it is today).

I'm not defending the decision, but just mentioning what everyone else has seemed to miss...

G

·
While I don't agree that the Chief should have a better equipped car than the troops - it was purchased 2 1/2 years ago, according to the article (when gas was around $2 a gallon and not as big of a deal as it is today).

I'm not defending the decision, but just mentioning what everyone else has seemed to miss...
Gas mileage for the Hemi isn't that much worse than the V-6 because the Hemi shuts down cylinders while idling or cruising. Unless you're screaming away from every red light at full-throttle, the savings aren't going to be significant.

Call it what it is; yet another chief who cares only about himself. He wanted the hot new toy, regardless if he actually needed it or not. Let the plebeians eat cake.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It wasn't to long ago either within the past 7-10 months that Monson in dire need of money was going to lay off/fire all their dispatchers.

·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm baffled as to how you think that matters. Gas prices don't even factor in to the equation. The Hemi is a more expensive option that boosts the horsepower on the Charger from around 250 to 345 horsepower. Why would the Chief need that option if his men did not? Either buy the Hemi for all three or none.

It's the same mentality that gives full sized Crown Vics to CPAC commissioned officers on the MSP, while the working guys who respond to scenes, do invests and make arrests get a Ford Focus.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
Is it possible that the chief bought the V8 2.5 yrs ago and now realizes that they don't need them after driving one for a while? I'd love to see the comments made if he gave the troops the V8 and took one of the new V6's for himself!

What if the town gave him "x" number of dollars to buy three cars and he couldn't afford the V8's?

Very quick to draw conclusions without all of the information, especially when the information is from a newspaper article...

Now if he buys himself a new V8, the criticism is legit...I'd give him crap too!

·
Registered
779 Posts
So hes had the hot rod for 2 1/2 years while his guys drove what again? I can't defend a guy for doing that. IF he's testing it to see its viability as a PATROL vehicle...it should PATROL...right? Should be the troops testing it out. Going to hot calls, crashes, being evaluated for officer comfort, ability to do the job...not stomping on the gas to stretch its legs out once in a while going to Town Hall...

There is no reason for a Chief to drive a car like that other than being vain and wanting everyone to see him driving the latest and greatest....a Chief needs a commuter car which a Taurus / Malibu / even one of the older patrol cars repainted could have accomplished ....

G

·
Is it possible that the chief bought the V8 2.5 yrs ago and now realizes that they don't need them after driving one for a while? I'd love to see the comments made if he gave the troops the V8 and took one of the new V6's for himself!
If he wanted to evaluate the Charger itself and the V-8 specifically, he should have given it to the patrol people so it could have been put through its paces actually working patrol. Commuting to and from the police station is not exactly the Michigan State Police Trials.

I would have to agree if he took one of the new cars and gave the older one to patol it would look really bad.
Remember when a certain thankfully long-gone chief (TF) said in the paper his new car was going to be a Taurus, then proceeded to order himself a new CVPI which was supposed to go to the patrol fleet?

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
If the Chief wants to drive a marked car around, why is he Chief again? He should have just stuck to patrol.

G

·
That's another point most chief's drive unmarked cars.

Remember when a certain thankfully long-gone chief (TF) said in the paper his new car was going to be a Taurus, then proceeded to order himself a new CVPI which was supposed to go to the patrol fleet?[/quote]

How about when a recently gone chief went out and bought a brand new Expedition with all the bells and whistles. Taurus's or the like would be fine for all non-patrol units.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It's the same mentality that gives full sized Crown Vics to CPAC commissioned officers on the MSP, while the working guys who respond to scenes, do invests and make arrests get a Ford Focus.
Those commisioned officers could get by with a "Smart 42" or a "Toyota Priapism"...heck, I'd even spring for the adhesive "wind-up key" for the roof! :pinch:

What if the town gave him "x" number of dollars to buy three cars and he couldn't afford the V8's?

Very quick to draw conclusions without all of the information, especially when the information is from a newspaper article...

Now if he buys himself a new V8, the criticism is legit...I'd give him crap too!
There you go again, being all reasonable and stuff...

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
:p
Maybe Monson should worry about going fully time rather than having 4 chargers so the guys out at C5 don't have to be bothered during the midshift.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spoken like a trooper!

As far as the Hemi goes, We got a loaner while the CV was having the cooling system and dash torn apart. (Again at 35K miles)
I had a little trouble keeping the tires from smokin up YIKES!!!!! Nice sounding ride but still not a poor mans Lincoln like the CV is!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Monson isn't full-time anymore? Well neither is hubbardston. What a joke that town is Hubbardston. Well people get what they pay for.

·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

So, he "tested" it and decided his guys didn't need one? Based on what? Like Delta said, if you are evaluating you give it to a guy who actually does police work not an administrator.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts