Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicago police overnight shot and killed an unidentified armed man who shot at police and then barricaded himself in a gangway on the South Side, police said.

The gunman hit one officer's shoe and the bulletproof vest of another, but wounded neither one, police said. He also opened fire with his semi-automatic gun on a police helicopter hovering over the scene in the Auburn Gresham community, police said.

The incident marked the second time in less than 24 hours that Chicago police responded to a barricade situation.

Police approached the man, whom they thought appeared suspicious, at West 79th and South Justine Streets about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday. As the officers approached, the man opened fire, striking an officer's shoe, police said.

The man then ran to a gangway outside a nearby building at West 79th and Bishop Streets to seek refuge, prompting SWAT officers to respond, police said.

The man fired multiple shots at the officers and at the police helicopter overhead, police said. At some point, the man opened fire on one of the SWAT officers, striking him in his protective vest. The bullet became lodged in one of the vest's pockets, police said.

"This goes to show you how dangerous this is and safety vests do work," Chicago police spokeswoman Monique Bond said at the scene early Wednesday morning. "This was a very fortunate incident in which the SWAT officer was not wounded."

Police eventually fatally shot the man and recovered what was believed to be the gun used in shooting the officers, Bond said. The standoff lasted until about 1:30 a.m., police said.

As the helicopter hovered around the area of the barricade early Wednesday morning, some 100 onlookers gathered at West 79th and South Loomis Boulevard, about a block away from the shooting, as police cordoned off the area to the public.

The Independent Police Review Authority, which probes shootings involving Chicago police officers, was investigating the circumstances of the shooting early Wednesday morning.

Tuesday morning, a few miles away, SWAT officers surrounded a South Side home near West 84th Street and South Wabash Avenue in the Chatham neighborhood after a man barricaded himself inside a garage.

Police had initially received a call about 10:30 a.m. of a person with a knife in that area. When they arrived they saw the man sitting outside the garage and spoke with him briefly, before he ran into the garage and barricaded himself inside.

Neighbors said the man is an ex-Chicago police officer who had a relationship with a woman who lives at the home and who is a Chicago police officer. Bond, however, could not confirm that information.

The man was eventually taken into custody about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday, but further details of that incident were not immediately available.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.