Chernobyl | MassCops

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by RodneyFarva, May 22, 2019.

1. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Has anyone had the chance to watch Chernobyl the new mini series on HBO?

2. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Epic! Just attended a PODS training and we discussed it. Friggin stressful to watch. Shows Communist area fuck ups. I attended a CBRNE course taught by a CWO who was in a CBRN bunker in West Germany when it burned. He said the alarms lit up and they FREAKED out. Scary. Thought WWIII had popped.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Joel98, FTH, pahapoika and 1 other person like this.
  3. MassBorn

MassBorn New Member

Great show, I was going to cancel my membership after the end of GOT about chernoybol caught my eyes and I am glad. Highly recommend the show

FTH and RodneyFarva like this.
  4. RodneyFarva

The arrogance of the USSR at the time was just mind blowing and if wasn't for the countries around them saying "hey what the F is going on?, they would have just buried it along with several thousand soviet citizens.

wrangler and pahapoika like this.
  5. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Yep. Really telling is the absolute FEAR of the worker to give bad news to a superior. It would end in death or Labor Camps.

FTH, RodneyFarva and pahapoika like this.
  6. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

7. RodneyFarva

CCCSD likes this.
  8. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Read a book about it years ago . Forgot the name of it, but went in depth about the cascading failures leading up to the meltdown.

What the radiation did to the responding firefighters, the local town, the surrounding area, etc. Very sobering.

Joel98, FTH, CCCSD and 1 other person like this.
  9. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

They tried, but it was just too big to hide. In all fairness soviet administration didn’t grasp what actually happened until after May 1st. They were told it’s a minor industrial accident and it is under control. The night of explosion man who was in charge in the control room went into very human denial and refuse accept that core exploded. Military radiation detectors they used had maxed out after 600 Rem and they thought those were broken. In reality level of radiation was much higher.

Generally people didn’t know what high level of radiation means, older doctors didn’t know how to treat radioactive burns. It took them some time to figure out they need to take firefighters clothes off to avoid further exposure. Those clothes are still in the basement of that hospital, still radioactive ... How crazy is that?

10. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

True. They didn’t “grasp it” because failures are not allowed nor to be reported.

11. pahapoika

All responding firefighters eventually perished due to their exposure to radiation . They were buried in special cement sarcophaguses to prevent their decaying bodies from contaminating the surrounding soil.

The irony is they had twice as many people working at the plant then any other nuclear facility. It was a way for the government to prove the Communist system was better by keeping everyone employed.

If I remember correctly they didn't build a containment field to save money . Thankfully ( I believe ) this is mandatory for building any nuclear plants here in the states.

Yucca Mountain was supposed to be the final resting place for spent radioactive waste here in the US. It's proven to be non-viable and a lot of the radioactive waste is still being stored on site.

HistoryHound, CCCSD and RodneyFarva like this.
  12. RodneyFarva

One thing that is very unsettling is the other reactors at that facility remained operational until 2000. Those reactors were pretty much identical to number 4.

13. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

It’s Russia. They buy cheap, kill everything.

FTH, pahapoika and RodneyFarva like this.
  14. control

control MassCops Member

The companion Podcast that comes out each week is worth a listen too. The creator/writer Craig Mazin talks each week about the episode, things that were left out, what they were trying to get across, etc. It's great.

‎The Chernobyl Podcast on Apple Podcasts

FTH, CCCSD and pahapoika like this.
  15. pahapoika

Sounds interesting.

16. RodneyFarva

This detail is really cool, if you watch the scene where Lyudmilla Ignatenko the firefighters wife defies the rules set by the hospital and embraces her husband as soon as she does there are several white flashes that wash out the picture. This is the same effect radiation has on film and can be observed in several still pictures taken after the disaster.

thumb_enrique262-chernobyl-nuclear-power-plant-disaster-liquitadors-soviet-personnel-in-43107490.png

HistoryHound, TheSnowman, FTH and 3 others like this.
  17. pahapoika

Usually don't go out for a dramatization of historic events, but definitely sends home the message.

It's criminal what the government does to its own people yet are rarely held responsible.

FTH likes this.
  18. RodneyFarva

Looks like they struck a nerve with the former USSR.

HBO’s recently-ended Chernobyl mini-series is easily one of the best shows of the year — and so much better than Game of Thrones season 8, by the way. The show tells the real story of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster as experienced by the ones who had to deal with the consequences.

Unsurprisingly, Putin’s Russia doesn’t like it. Not only that, but a Russian network is making its own Chernobyl, which will be a fictional story based on a conspiracy theory that claims the CIA — who else — sent an agent to the Chernobyl zone to carry out acts of sabotage. According to The Moscow Times, Putin’s media is struggling to deal with the fact that HBO, an American TV channel, told the story about its heroes. Several major media outlets in the country have criticized HBO’s show, which is a national sensation in Russia, even though it’s only available online to paying views.
    Russia’s most popular newspaper says that competitors of the state-atomic center Rosatom are using the series to tarnish the reputation of Russia as a nuclear power. A paper popular with the elderly said the show is a “caricature and not the truth.” One of the country’s main news channels said the only things missing “are the bears and accordions.”

The lead anchor of that channel went on to paint the show in a negative light. According to him, the scientist Valery Legasov was openly critical of what happened at Chernobyl and voiced his concerns in an article published in the same publication that’s criticizing the HBO show. But the anchor leaves out the fact that said article that Legasov wrote in 1987 was refused initially and only hit the press after the scientist took his own life in 1988.

The Moscow Times further explains that Putin’s Kremlin has done little to honor the Chernobyl disaster, and the Russian heroism that followed it, which contributed to saving the country and parts of Europe from radioactive doom. This brings us to the upcoming original Chernobyl series from local Russian channel NTV, which will tell a different story than HBO’s miniseries, based on a conspiracy theory:

As justification for the story, the film’s director, Alexei Muradov, cited fringe conspiracy theorists: “One theory holds that Americans had infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and many historians do not deny that, on the day of the explosion, an agent of the enemy’s intelligence services was present at the station.”

Sure. Either that or a combination of factors caused the accident, including crass incompetence at several levels, a web of lies and censorship and paranoia, and the regular communist statecraft and spycraft apparatus characteristic to the Soviet Union and many of the countries under its sphere of influence at the time.

19. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Semper Occultus

Finished watching it last week. Great show and it was nice to have the podcast to listen to and have the director of the show explain some of the specifics that they didn’t have enough time to get into.
    Leave it to Russian gov’t to belittle the work of the “liquidators” that cleaned up their fucking mess instead of honoring them like the show does.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    pahapoika, USM C-2, Goose and 2 others like this.
  20. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Russia. Still a sack of shit.

TheSnowman and RodneyFarva like this.
  21. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Semper Occultus

I mean I suppose if they wanted to do another season they could. It’s not like Cherynobel isn’t a problem anymore. That corium=(nuclear fuel) that melted through the bottom of reactor 4 is still there giving off fatal doses of radiation to anyone That stands too close and for too long a period of time next to it.

Maybe they could do a season about what’s going on now. A bunch of different countries including the US have pitched in to create the giant dome to house the power plant in order to dampen the radiation that’s being emitted to the outside world. It’s already been housed and it’s expected to last 100 years.

It’s interesting stuff and on the bright side wildlife is flourishing there apparently.

Elephants foot:
    The Famous Photo of Chernobyl's Most Dangerous Radioactive Material Was a Selfie

Chernobyl dome:
    Under The Shield: Inside Chernobyl's New Safe Confinement

Wildlife:
    With humans out of the way, Chernobyl's wildlife thrives

RodneyFarva and CCCSD like this.
  23. pahapoika

Just another reason why the Finns are not too happy with Russia.

They had to monitor the reindeer population in Lapland because they were eating the radioactive moss thanks to the fall out.

And of course they had to do regular monitoring on the Sami ( laplanders ) because of their high exposure to radiation.

CCCSD likes this.