Checking interest for a New Police Store | Page 2 | MassCops

Checking interest for a New Police Store

Discussion in 'Police Duty Gear For Sale / Wanted' started by daxxkid, May 20, 2010.

1. 5-0

5-0 Guest

mmmmm.... Talent. ;)

2. m3cop

m3cop MassCops Member

I would be very interested in a better priced store that was close by- and one that is PO run to boot. Unfortunately we get a crappy $400 a year for clothing allowance and can only go through Ben's Uniform :rolleyes:. Two uniform pants, 2 shirts, and a pair of boots kills my allowance all at once through them- leaving me to have to pick up the tab for any other needs.

3. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

Which one of the brass is related to Ben??? :rolleyes:

4. m3cop

m3cop MassCops Member

Not sure:confused:, thought his best loyal customer/friend was no longer with us (RIP CPT) but hopefully that will change one year from now!!! Crossing my fingers that lots of things will change or the better.

5. daxxkid

daxxkid MassCops Member

So an update here, first of all, thank you for everyone's input again, and I'm really hopping I will make this happen.

On another note here, I spoke to a distributor for Blauer in our area and he tried to talk me out of doing this and stated he would not pick up anymore dealers, since so many already sell the product, but did say I should call AAA and buy from him and resell it. Later on I did find out why, but I will not get into it right now. If anyone has any inside info about this, please feel free to email me.

This is definitely going to be a long journey for me to start this type of business, but I am sure everything will work out as planned, thank you for everyone's support, I will keep you guys posted.

6. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

Oh no need for private email... It's no secret that your local Blauer has distributor has family ties to a local police supply with a few stores in the Bay State. He all but came out an admitted he was not selling to start ups that would compete with his connection. This has been going on for at least seven years that I know of, probably longer.

I wish you luck and if there is anything that we can do here to help you get started just say the word.

7. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

went into AAA years ago for something benign like a cuff key or keepers and saw a S&W wind breaker for $75 !

asked why so high ? was told some guys winding down their careers don't need more uniforms so they blow their allowance on over priced s**t.

AAA seems allot more friendlier lately . think they have the jail contract as does Doughboys and that gives them the benefit of steady revenue.

swung into Trippy's couple weeks ago. they had a nice little boot knife. $75 in store, $35 on line.

maybe a store that went heavy on the gadgets would bring guys in ?

8. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Fuck that guy.

My uniform allowance is $600, but even after greivances and substantial litigation the town is allowed to take taxes and pension funds out of it, leaving me with an allowance of about $330 take-home.

Sorry, but I have no leeway to blow my allowance on overpriced shit.

9. DoD102

DoD102 MassCops Member

I bought a new Ruger LCR from AAA and they were friendly enough. Price was reasonable, but no holsters for it. I traveled from Greenfield. I'd check out a new store in Framingham. Good day trip...:)

10. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Bottom line is that a mark up is out of control. I laught when Ben's comes to the station with TomTom GPS and has it stickered at over $200 when the same model that is now pretty much obsolete sells for $150 or less elsewhere

11. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

I don't think there is room in the market for another store. There are plenty that offer the same thing in the area- decent service, police friendly, common supplies used in Mass. You can try, but funding from the bank will be a challenge, and you are just going to battle older, more established stores for their business.

The key is to find a gap in the current market. Neptune's did it by capturing honor guard contracts from around the country. Cops like gadgets, guns, and other cops. If you can find a way to bring these together in a new way, you will succeed. Sell firearms with a trial range. Open a restaurant on site so folks can eat while they wait for their uniforms and BS with other guys. Make it so you can get your stuff without standing at the counter and walking in circles for 3 hours. These might not be the end all solutions, but they are ideas to carve a niche for yourself away from Miron, Doughboy, Andreas and AAA.

12. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I was at a gun store in Watertown a looooong time ago, when my father picked up a 1911. The owner instructed us to plug our ears, and he test fired it into a hole into the wall. Forget the name....

Im not in the market for uniforms....yet, but to me a good store has a great selection of gadgets and accessories. Its nice to get your hands on something before dropping $200 on something. Used gear/holsters/etc, are also great to pick thru.

Ultimately, for me it comes down to price. If you have a great store, and a great selection, but I can get it for 50% off online...I might come in and try on those 5.11 jeans for $60, but Ill be ordering them from LAPOLICEGEAR for $20.

Make it a destination, someplace that regulars will want to hang out at for a few hours, and newcomers will feel welcome. Hit up Surefire, Streamlight, Crimson Trace and the rest for displays and carry a full range of inventory.

13. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

PVT Cowboy has probably heard this one before- "The thing about price, is it's never the price." In other words, you all are price conscious because no one has provided a service to you worthy of your loyalty.

If you create a "destination" where cops can buy ammo and shoot whatever gun, get some good, cheap food, etc, they are always hanging around. One day, that new backup gun catches their eye. Everytime he comes in, he'll go right for that product. One day, he'll buy it from the store if the price is CLOSE.

Can't be the lowest price on everything...

14. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

If you sell something that says 'Tactical' on it, has Velcro, and is Black-in-Color, some cop will buy it whether they need it or not. :regular_smile:

More than "gadgets, guns and other cops"... Cops like their booze, bullets and bitches. Hire some eye candy, throw-in some free ammo, and raffle-off some gift certificates to local joints? :martini_shaken: :beer_yum:

15. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

I was about to drop off my two new uniform shirts to dry cleaning when I realized one of them had the patch on the wrong arm. Suppose to be left, it was on the right. I purchased it at Oxford Community Fire and Police. While irritated, I know I can bring it back to Patty and she will take care of. Also another reason I continue to go back there (selection is VERY limited) but she will order anything you need. - Bottom line though, Patty herself is what makes going there worth it.....and shes nice to look at too lol.

Trippi's is a complete rip-off, and their customer service is hit or miss.

Ben's has the contract for the Trial Court. So any new hires have to truck up there for there first issue set of uniforms. It sucked for me coming from Worcester, let alone the poor bastard that lives out in Pittsfield.

AAA in Dedham was really good to me when I went to get uniforms for the Campus P.D. I worked for briefly. Small, but very user friendly.

Used or "Certified Pre-Owned" (haha) duty gear is never in supply. I think a credit for trading in duty gear in decent shape would be welcome by most guys. It doesn't have to be much, but something, and then mark it up as you see fit. Cuff cases in good shape, give a credit for $5.00 and then sell it for $12.00 - I garuntee you some PTer (like myself) will look at you used gear first, as we have to buy EVERYTING on our own. THere is market to be had, you just need to find your niche.

Like other have said, maybe a lunch/dinner place with the shop. Nothing fancy, burgers, dogs, fries, etc. Something that will get us congregating there.

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Back when I was a campus cop, AAA police supply REFUSED to sell me a freaking TBL sticker (back when they actually meant something), because they were for "regular police only". In the many years since, I've given thousands to other stores, not that I think AAA needs it. But f'em anyway.

17. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Lost, I agree 100%. Ill sound like Im contradicting myself after my last post, but yes having a great store does have an advantage over price. Especially when I want something, and I want it RIGHT NOW! I would gladly drive over to the store and pay a little extra to pick it out and walk out with it in hand.

18. AOfficer2009

AOfficer2009 MassCops Member

Doughboy in Revere sucks. Horrible customer service.
    I usually go see Super Jew in Haverhill.

I am all about customer service when I shop for my stuff, if they treat me well I will spend my money there. Also try and carry things that other shops won't have and will have to order.

19. daxxkid

daxxkid MassCops Member

Thanks again to everyone, I will keep you posted, if when and where this is going to happen. Be safe out there.

20. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Are you going to get Vietboy to suppy you with eoteks.:wavespin:

21. OfficerObie59

How about selling a pair of police pants at less than $100? Seems to me you could ramp up volume by selling on line in addition to storefront.

22. BPD142

BPD142 MassCops Member

+1 we get $1000 and the choice to take it in cash if we want and we only have 13!!! Get your union on board with that fight

23. OfficerObie59

Yeah, municipalities are real concerned that the half of their department that didn't get laid off is dressed in unservicable uniforms.