·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, August 23, 2008 Dead dog's owners face cruelty charges

By Brian Lee TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

44 comments | Add a comment

CHARLTON-
Animal Control Officer Brent W. Sellew vomited from the smell from a dying dog with large open sores infested with maggots.

Behind an apartment building on the morning of Aug. 7 and chained to a rundown wooden doghouse with "thousands of flies" around it, authorities said, they found Nikkia.

The 12-year-old male husky, owned by Rebecca Cook and her son, Arthur Mantha, has since been euthanized. http://adx.telegram.com/apps/adx.dl...1/;URL=http://www.southbridgesavingsbank.com/

Ms. Cook, 53, and her 19-year-old son, of 231 Stafford St., have been summoned to Dudley District Court for an Oct. 3 arraignment to each face a count of cruelty to an animal.

The dog was in extreme pain because of maggot infestation, both externally and in the area of its anus, according to a report filed by Joseph L. Cadrin, an abuse and cruelty investigator for the Worcester Animal Rescue League.

According to Mr. Cadrin's report, which was processed yesterday at the Dudley court, Dr. Emily Neenan said she could hear the maggots consuming the dog's flesh in the examination room at VCA Abbott Animal Hospital, Worcester.

The infestation was so deep the dog's hair was falling out during the examination. The level of bacteria in the dog's bloodstream "could have easily caused damage to internal organs," the report said.

The postmortem report stated the dog showed no signs of rabies. Officer Sellew was concerned because it was not known when Nikkia had last been to a veterinarian or if he had been vaccinated for rabies. Several residents had been in contact with the dog, he said.

Mr. Cadrin arrived about two hours after Officer Sellew, because the investigator had to respond to an accident on Interstate 290.

The dog was dirty, cried constantly, and laid on its stomach with its legs spread. It was not moving, as if paralyzed. Mr. Cadrin said he put the dog on a stretcher and into his SUV, where flies followed.

A tenant of Ms. Cook who lives in the building reported the sick dog to the Animal Rescue League. The tenant, also a nurse, said she had tried to clean a large sore on the dog's hind area that was rotting away from maggot infestation, police said.

The tenant mentioned that the owners never cared for the dog and didn't want anyone to go near him. The owners had allegedly placed a sign to stay away and not feed it, police said.

The owners allegedly told the investigator they didn't know why the dog had been in its condition. Ms. Cook, according to the report, said the dog had been "walking all right" the previous day.

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I think they should let maggots eat them alive. Scum of the earth.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
The sad thing is that if these two shitbirds had even bothered to come outside to check on the dog, I'll bet the dog would wag his tail and be glad for even their company. That's just the way dogs are, unconditional love. So sad.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Theres a show on the Animal Planet...( i think )where officers from the ASPCA investigate animal cruelty cases..I cant even watch it because I get so angry I want to jump through the screen and kick some of those people in the teeth...

·
Subscribing Member
1,059 Posts
Theres a show on the Animal Planet...( i think )where officers from the ASPCA investigate animal cruelty cases..I cant even watch it because I get so angry I want to jump through the screen and kick some of those people in the teeth...
+1, and I can't watch AP because my dog goes nuts when she sees other animals on TV

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
Believe it or not, it goes on every day right in our own back yard. We just don't get the television coverage that others do.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
We should start a vigilante program for secretly taking care of these shmucks, like that one Michael Douglas movie.
The Star Chamber was a great movie.

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Count me in.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Do the MSPCA police respond to all animal cruelty calls or do they share jurisdiction with the Animal Rescue League? Interesting. It is upsetting to say the least. I have latitude with people who live a scummy disorganized life, however once they start abusing other living things, thats when the gloves come off and they should be locked up!

The MSPCA web-site says the MSPCA Police run out of Springfield and Boston.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Did you happen to catch the Michael Vick story on Animal Planet the other night. It was very disturbing to see the way this guy and his friends mistreated these aniamls. I also came out of the show with a different feeling towards Pitbulls. I would never consider getting one but my opinion has changed as far as the breed goes. Im sure plenty of people will disagree and thats fine but after watching the show I absolutely think its the way they are trained, and this breed seems to be more suited to fight so when the 2 are combined , meaning a Pitbull with a shithead its a bad mix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts