Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charges to be sought in bullpen fight
By Martin Finucane, Associated Press, 10/20/2003

BOSTON -- Police are planning to seek charges Tuesday in the bullpen brawl that broke out during the American League Championship Series between the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees at Fenway Park.

The police will seek charges of assault and battery against Yankees reliever Jeff Nelson and right fielder Karim Garcia, police spokesman John Boyle said Monday. He declined further comment.

Police will ask a clerk-magistrate in the city's Roxbury District Court to schedule a show-cause hearing to determine whether there is probable cause to charge the players, Suffolk district attorney's spokesman David Procopio said.

"Boston police have conducted a very comprehensive investigation and moved slowly with good reason. We wanted to make sure we had the clearest picture of what occurred. At this point, the police and this office are confident that the next step should be the scheduling of a clerk's hearing," Procopio said.

Procopio said the hearing would probably be scheduled sometime in November.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman had little to say about the case.

"It's still got to work its way out. It's a long way from being done," Cashman said.

Groundskeeper Paul Williams, 24, of Derry, N.H., was treated and released from a hospital after a fracas with Nelson, Garcia and several other Yankees during the ninth inning of New York's 4-3 win in the Oct. 11 game.

Williams, a part-time grounds keeper, apparently was cheering the Red Sox while working in the Yankees bullpen, Red Sox officials said.

Williams was treated at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and was released wearing a neck brace.

Williams' mother, Phyllis, contacted at the family home in Londonderry, N.H. where Williams, who is a special education teacher in the Derry schools, stayed after his injury, said Williams had no comment.

Garcia and Nelson, interviewed in the visitors' clubhouse in Miami where the Yankees are taking on the Florida Marlins in the World Series, said they were unaware of the charges.

"I haven't heard anything," said Nelson.

"There's nothing to say. We'll see what happens and go from there," said Garcia.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Officer Dunngeon said:
Why weren't those morons locked up on the spot? There were only like 30 BPD officers right there!
I agree, they should have been locked up on the spot!

:sb:
Perhaps fear of celebrity played a role in their decision. The best example I can think of to illustrate "fear of celebrity" is the Catholic Church sex abuse scandal. Do you really believe the AG can't muster enough evidence\means to prosecute more people involved in that mess? If I were a betting man, I would wager there is probably enough evidence to implicate the Pope if the AG wanted to...but he won't because he fears the celebrity and power of the Catholic Church. Pathetic! :evil:

Ryan

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
I agree they should have been cuffed on the spot.
But now it will seem like Boston is bitter from the loss.
I am sure that is how that rag, the NY post will potray it.
I think by waiting BPD might have made it a more touchy situation.
just my opinion.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I agree, I think they lost some momentum with the case since they didn't arrest at the scene and waited until after the Series to press charges. A defense Attorney will try to argue whether or not the charges would be brought if the Sox won.

Again, Boston PD F$cked Up. And I think it is VERY much due to "fear of celebrity" factor and/or fear of the Administration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.