Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What departments out there are charging to answer false burglar alarms?

How much, how often, etc...

Do you see it as a source of revenue or a way to make businesses / residences with faulty alarms fix the problem in a timely manner?

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
They should charge the company down the street from me cause the old man leaves the place with the alarm going off for a good half an hour almost everyday. And when i call the station they never do anything.

Scott

·
Registered
561 Posts
"Any user of an alarm system which transmits false alarms shall be assessed a fine of twenty-five ($25) dollars for a third false alarm occuring within a twelve (12) month period, fifty ($50) dollars for a fourth false alarm occuring within a twelve (12) month period, and one hundred ($100) dollars for a fifth and all subsequent false alarms occuring within a twelve (12) month period. All fines assesed hereunder shall be paid to the Town Treasurer for deposit in the general fund."

Does that help? :D

From a dispatchers' perspective, that bylaw (enacted 3/2002) did not noticably change the amount of false alarms, but it is hard to tell.

-Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by Gil:
What departments out there are charging to answer false burglar alarms?

How much, how often, etc...

Do you see it as a source of revenue or a way to make businesses / residences with faulty alarms fix the problem in a timely manner?
One S.Shore department that I know of allows three free responses to false alarms per calander year. After that, be it a business or residential alarm, they charge $25.00 per response. The main purpose is to encourage the business/residence to rectify whatever problem exists that is causing numerous police responses.

·
Registered
599 Posts
City of Quincy when I lived there charged after the 3rd false alarm in a 30 day period.. I'm not sure if they still do or not but they did...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fall River Police Dept. will be charging i believe $25.00 for false alarms to make money for the citys budget woes, thats according to the mayors bright ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.