Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently filed a prohibited practice complaint (with the Labor Relations Commission) against the Board of Higher Education.

The complaint is based on the Board of Higher Education violating the law (G.L.c. 150E) by engaging in contract negotiations with AFSCME during the pendency of MCLEA's representation case.

AFSCME has attempted to intervene and dismiss our complaint. They are not a party to the case because the law only prohibits the employer from bargaining (not the incumbent union). However, they are trying to "interject" themselves into this dispute.

All of the pleadings, which I encourage you to review, are available in the MCLEA section of my website http://www.policelaborlaw.com

I believe the LRC will decide our representation/severance case in the near future.

Please contact me or MCLEA's President, Det. Sgt. Dave Curtis, if you have any questions.

Regards,

Brian E. Simoneau, Esq.,
Counsel for MCLEA

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
Great job Brian, I am glad that someone finally stood up for state college campus police officers and answered their plea. I can only envision that MAPS will be just as successful. Great job!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
AFSCME should be absolutely ashamed. Council#93 needs to step back and see if Local#1067 can stand on their own (They can't)

Local#1067 has done nothing!!!!! They want to parade Victor Rufo around because they helped him make the jump from ISO to CPO out at Westfield State.

What they don't want you to know is how their previous President sold out two(2) CPO's at Massasoit and violated their own contract by actively preventing them from joining the local. In one case the CPO was working forty (40) hours without benefits, and the other guy (me) was not allowed to transfer from another AFSCME Local#while working thirty-two (32) hours. That's right!
The most ironic twist is that I am now the Shop Steward. I can tell you from experience on the inside that Local#1067 does nothing for Police!
:sq:
The only level where AFSCME is working at all is Council#93 level. At this point it is far too little and far too late.

For those state agency campus police who want to stay AFSCME local #1067, Let me say this.........GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the latest MCLEA update:

I filed a prohibited practice charge on MCLEA's behalf with the Labor Relations Commission. The charge alleges that the BHE and AFSCME are negotiating the successor contract. This is a clear violation of G.L. c. 150E, which requires that AFSCME and the BHE suspend negotiations until MCLEA's case is decided.

Because of the above-mentioned prohibited practice charge, the attorney for the Board of Higher Education has filed a motion with the Labor Relations Commission asking the LRC to expedite its decision in our severance case (the case that's been pending before the LRC for approximately 8 months.)

You can view the documents in the MCLEA section of http://www.policelaborlaw.com/

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Direct quote from AFSCME 93 News (November 2005)

"Local 1067, which is comprised of our state and community college workers, is also awaiting a new contract. President Christopher Olsen and his negotiating team along with Staff representatives Nadine Kennedy, Roger Barbrick and Coordinator Gordon Blaquiere have had only five meetings to date, including two sessions in October that unfortunately did not result in any positive developments."

Sounds like an admission of guilt to me. local 1067 and the BHE exhibited so much respect fro the LRC eh? At least Local#2616 negotiated and ratified a contract Legally with U/Mass Medical School. Oh and lets not forget the U/Mass Dartmouth talks that are ongoing right now, also Legally.
:jestera:
Maybe local#1067 should have started a lot earlier (before the contract expired) and then not fought the Cops leaving for over a year!!! I'm certain that any negotiations under those conditions would have been much closer to being ratified by now, let alone been conducted without violating LRC regulations.
:!:
GO MCLEA!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's the truth, we a CPOs, in their eyes we are glorified security guards thats all. They never had to go to MSJA Mass State Janitors Academy for 14 weeks. They did'nt have to write TO/FROMS (if they even know how to write) or get yelled at every f''n day. The officers who went to the SSPO know. We deserve, NO, NO, NO, NO DEMAND!!!! respect for what we do, while others just look away.

When the shit hits the fan we are there, when you need help we are there. My Steward should know what we do day in and day out. A janitor does not.

I don't tell you how to mop, don't tell me how to fight crime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.