Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AN ACT RELATIVE TO ISSUING MOTOR VEHICLE CITATIONS ON STATE AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE CAMPUSES
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1.

Section 1 of Chapter 90C of the General Laws as appearing in the 1994 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out the definition of "Police chief" and inserting in place thereof the following definition:

Police Chief, the chief or the head of the organized police department of a city or town, the commissioner of public safety, the colonel of state police, the state superintendent of buildings, the chairman of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, such persons as the trustees of the University of Massachusetts shall appoint as chief of the police officers appointed under section thirty-two A of chapter seventy-five, such persons as the trustees of the Commonwealth's state and community colleges shall appoint as chief of the police officers appointed under section twenty-two of chapter fifteen A, such persons as the commissioner of mental health may designate at each institution of the department of mental health, or as the commissioner of mental retardation as the chief of the special police officers thereat appointed under section fifty-nine of chapter twenty-two C or the chief of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority police department.

SECTION 2. Said Section 1 of said chapter 90C, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out the definition of "Police Officer" and inserting in place thereof the following definition:

Police Officer, any officer, other than an investigator or examiner of the transportation division of the department of public utilities, authorized to make arrests or serve criminal process, any person appointed by the registrar under section twenty-nine of chapter ninety, any person appointed by the trustees of the University of Massachusetts under section thirty-two A of chapter seventy-five, any persons appointed by the trustees of the Commonwealth's state and community colleges as police officers under section eighteen of chapter seventy-three and any person appointed by the colonel of state police under section fifty-nine of chapter twenty-two C.

I left a message today to find out if the bill has been scheduled for a public hearing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This bill is before the Higher Education Committee and a public hearing is scheduled for sometime in June.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone that cares.......

This bill is scheduled for a public hearing tomorrow by the Higher Education Committee at 1:00PM.

·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Campus police ask return of right to cite
By State House News Service | June 8, 2005

More than a dozen state and community college police officers were on Beacon Hill yesterday asking for the authority to write traffic tickets on campus, a power they lost more than a year ago.

''We are not able to perform our responsibilities," said Richard Sherry, a 10-year veteran of the Salem State College police force. ''Our efforts to maintain a safe community are at risk."

Police on public college campuses, with the exception of two University of Massachusetts campuses, had been issuing tickets to errant motorists for 35 to 40 years, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees' Andrea Mullen told the Committee on Higher Education. A year and a half ago, the Registry [of Motor Vehicles] stopped giving ticket books to college police chiefs because they were not specifically cited in the applicable statute, Mullen said.

Half of the money raised by traffic fines goes to the host community and the other half goes to the state's general fund, causing many communities to lose money.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there. I testified. Sgt. Sherry, Ms. Mullin, and I all stressed the issue was ISSUE (ticket books) by RMV
:shock:
I reminded the committee that we already have authority granted by the legislature, and that we were NOT looking for any powers or authority that exceeded what we now have. My testimony focused on the conflict between the wisdom of the legislature (Ch73 s.18 & Ch15A s.22 Police Officers) and the recent decision by the RMV to remove us from the distribution list after nearly four decades!
:roll:
Now for what seems like the fiftieth time since this issue came to light, the media and others say its "The right to write tickets" BULLSH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!
:NO:
It's the Legislature telling the RMV to get it "right" and get with the program.
:uc:
And WTF is the EOPS even opening their mouths about this issue!!!! Why is ANYBODY asking them about CH90C s.1 v. CH73 s.18/CH15A s.22???
:?:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing that made me nervous during that hearing was when one of the Senators asked "Have the Mass Chiefs taken a position on this bill?" I do not understand why they would have to. We are only going to be enforcing CH.90 on OUR campus roadways and parking lots.

I would like to thank STATE REPRESENTATIVE JENNIFER M. CALLAHAN for her testimony at the hearing. She is in favor of this bill to say the least.

·
8,693 Posts
NOTE:

The hearing supposedly was picked up by the Boston Globe. Anybody see it?
:?:

·
8,693 Posts
SSPO#11";p="66772 said:
I do not understand why they would have to. We are only going to be enforcing CH.90 on OUR campus roadways and parking lots.

I would like to thank STATE REPRESENTATIVE JENNIFER M. CALLAHAN for her testimony at the hearing. She is in favor of this bill to say the least.

Right dude! we HAVE/ARE/WILL be enforcing CH90 in our jurisdictions.

Sen. Callahan seemed pretty indignant that the RMV had taken this action against the Legislative Authority given us many years ago!!!!

·
Subscribing Member
4,324 Posts
How did it go, did they vote on this yet. I also heard that the RMV yanked 90 books away from EPOs as well. They no longer issue new books.

·
8,693 Posts
No vote yet! Just hearings before the Joint Committee on Higher Ed. Senators O'leary and Murphy as chairs. It looks good but will take some time. J809 we have plenty of citation books left thanks to you buddy!
:wink:

·
8,693 Posts
Macop";p="67270 said:
I wonder who he blew to get em, hahahahaha.
AARON!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock:
Be nice! Yimmy don't do that stuff. He just bends over easily that's all!
:wink:

·
8,693 Posts
HA!
:mrgreen:
IT PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Committee Vote anyway!

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
j809";p="67250 said:
Good thing, I got those 100 books before I left. :mrgreen:
AAAAHHHHH Yes Jimmy you did!!!!! I thank you! Without the citations I would be trapped in the office listening to MPD 61 complaining about his step raise.

·
Subscribing Member
4,324 Posts
AAAAHHHHH Yes Jimmy you did!!!!! I thank you! Without the citations I would be trapped in the office listening to MPD 61 complaining about his step raise.
:L: :L: You guys have way to much time on your hands. Under the Shaw Era you guys would be out there kicking ass. :mrgreen:

P.S. Who is the bald muscular fella in the first picture. He looks like a sailor. :lol:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.