Changes possibly ahead for MSP Academy | MassCops

Changes possibly ahead for MSP Academy

Discussion in 'State Police' started by trel, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trel

trel MassCops Member

Training wreck: Review calls state cop academy flawed
    By Maggie Mulvihill
    Friday, April 7, 2006

The Massachusetts State Police Academy is badly mishandling the oversight and training of new recruits, a failing that could put “a gun and a cruiser” in the hands of the wrong person, according to a six-month independent review of the agency obtained by the Herald.
    The review raises the specter that continued poor management at the New Braintree facility could lead to unqualified state troopers with “the wrong values” being set “loose on the commonwealth.”

“Academy training staff members are not provided the proper training and education to design and run a cutting-edge program,” the 50-page report by the nine-member Massachusetts State Police Academy Commission said.
    The panel, headed by former Essex District Attorney Kevin M. Burke, was appointed in October by Col. Thomas G. Robbins, commander of the 2,300-member state police force, after reports of hazing, high dropout rates and other problems rocked the academy.
    While emphasizing that training staff are for the most part “professionals who are sincerely dedicated to their work,” the report described an academy leadership beset by “confusion, inadequate communications and poor oversight of training operations.”
    As a result, the report said, the academy training staff itself is plagued by “role conflict, confusion, uncertainty and ineffective communications.” In addition, the report says, too many deficient cadets are allowed into the academy, “taking scarce training seats from better qualified personnel.”
    In an interview yesterday, Robbins said he is already putting some panel recommendations in place. “It is always good to have a set of external eyes,” he said. “This is the blueprint we are going to work from. The No. 1 priority is for us to get the best qualified candidates trained for the state police.”
    Robbins said the department has added staff to the academy by reconfiguring other parts of the force, brought in drill instructors from the Army to help with training and developed a “clear supervisory chain of command” reporting procedure for staff.
    The Herald reported in September that recruits said a drill instructor forced their heads into a dirty toilet, and another aspiring trooper said he was forced to wear a classmate’s soiled underwear.Robbins transferred three academy staffers after the allegations.
    The academy also lacks a commitment to “leader development,” is hampered by chronic personnel shortages and is beleaguered by a flawed recruit-screening process, the panel found. As a result, candidates enter the New Braintree facility without the physical or mental strength required to withstand the rigorous 26-week program.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=133968&format=&page=1

2. nirtallica

nirtallica Subscribing Member

The changes have already been implemented and the SPA is just as tough as ever! Please, don't start posting BS articles from the Boston Herald. They don't have a f*&^ing clue! If you believe all their BS, well neither do you. The only other changes I see happening are the PT standards to enter the SPA. That means it will be even harder!

3. trel

trel MassCops Member

haha...easy there killa i was just posting an article i saw that i thought was interesting, if you dont like it dont read it!

4. BartA1

BartA1 Subscribing Member

what a great time to publish this article on a friday when all the family members of recruits have their loved ones coming home for the weekend. Interesting how the herald publishes this when the 79th is in their first week. Gotta love the media fair and objective :???:

5. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

You can almost hear the Herald going down the toilet. Swoosh!!!!

6. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Interesting how the Herald cites problems such as hazing and high drop-out rates are plaguing the academy along with role confusion and a general lack of communication, yet in another sentence it speaks about how the academy accepts less than qualified individuals for the PT. So where is the major malfunction? The academy? Or those that aren't qualified enough to make it through week one?

7. BrickCop

BrickCop Subscribing Member

I thought the exact same thing when I read it. What we call hypocrisy they call it CYA. I guess if they print every possibility one of them is bound to be accurate.

8. SGT_GRUNT_USMC

SGT_GRUNT_USMC Subscribing Member

I say B.S.This is all about politics and CYA.The Massachusetts State Police already has one of the nation's toughest and best police academies, why fix something it if ain't broke.So what if some recruit washouts had their feelings hurt.

Semper Fi,

9. BartA1

BartA1 Subscribing Member

a rigid academy with tough standards doesnt fit into the politically correct world we live in today. Perfect example is the MPTC Prescreen issue. People are complaining the wall is too tough of a test. Ok no problem we will remove that part of the test. The end product will be graduates who cant perform on the street. Hopefully the brass at the state and local level will not cave to political pressure and will stand behind instructors at the academies and allow them autonomy in training.

10. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

It's not a problem with the DI's, but with the bosses. They dedicate way to much time to "ethics" and why you are not allowed to police the "pickle park", than to collision investigation. Hey, you either have "ethics" by the time you get to the academy...or you don't (and it cannot be learned at that stage).

If anything is wrong at the academy, it is the menshevik mentality that dictates the curriculum. Thank God I went through before the leftist trash (starting with 'Phyllis' Trepaso) corrupted the SPA.

11. EOD1

EOD1 Subscribing Member

Is it generally accepted that the MSPA is the toughest in the country? & no i am not trying to b a smart ass. I read every1's posts here, & i remeber those pics that some1 posted from the 78th(??) but i never have heard anything about other State Police academies.
    How are DI's selected? & do they go through courses (like a drill sargeant academy) are the DI's and instructors or do the DI's do it all?

12. Mr.90/24

Mr.90/24 New Member

Hey if you don't like it, if you can't handle it, don't become a Trooper!!

13. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

If they are worried about poor training they should look at the MCJTC Academies.
    I have never had a desire to be a trooper, but I would have given my left nut to receive the quality of training that they get. The MCJTC is a joke.

14. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

I recieved my training from an MCJTC certified academy and I thought my training was pretty good. I think part of the problem is that each academy runs things differently. If there were more uniformity, I think some of the problems with the MCJTC could be fixed.

15. 2-Delta

2-Delta New Member

Like I've said before New Hampshire has a good system in place and I think we should adopt it.

16. BrickCop

BrickCop Subscribing Member

Which MCJTC academy did you go through? What made it a joke?

17. bbelichick

bbelichick Moderator Staff Member

One of my friends (former Marine) went through the MCJTC Academy and was literally embarrassed at how easy it was. He didn't even want to show up to get his badge.

Years later, he went through the MSP Academy and his comment was 'They do it right. That was a tough academy." He said he felt challenged and the training was great.

His Local Academy was at Agawam.

18. Mitpo62

Mitpo62 Subscribing Member

I went through the MCJTC academy also and thought it went very well. In fact, I'd go out on a limb to state that I believe Plymouth sets the standards for the others to follow. :pc:

19. Mr.90/24

Mr.90/24 New Member

I will tell you this...I went to MCJTC and it was a joke. I then went to the MSP Academy and I received the best training possible. The MSP sets the standard, not NH. I know this sounds bias cause I work for MSP, but when you go through the MSP Academy then comment, until then stop running your sucks!! I will say this in closing, the local academies serve there purpose!! Trooper get trained differently for a reason, our jobs are different. The MCJTC is a kinder gentler academy for a reason...Community Policing.

20. heyyou

heyyou New Member

MCJTC was definately a joke. Its like college with PT. With as many people taking the civil service exams hiring could definately be tougher especially in the PT arena. When people enter the academy at >30 % body fat something is wrong.

21. Rock

Rock Undefined

I've done the local academy and the SPA and the two shouldn't be spoken about in the same sentence. I saw a "student officer" in the local academy I wouldn't trust him to take out my trash. (I think he was actually slow #-o ...no joke). They held his hand and pushed him through. The reason he was pushed through is his town paid almost $2500 to get him there plus the cost of gear. Scary. The only way you leave the local academy is if you commit a crime and that happened as well.

22. SGT_GRUNT_USMC

SGT_GRUNT_USMC Subscribing Member

I can't speak for MCJTC academies but not all "local" academies are easy.Here at LVMPD we have an attrition rate of about 25% between the police academy (23 weeks) and field training (19 weeks).My academy started with 82 and we finished with 61 after field training was completed.The class before us lost 19 out of 80 just in the academy alone.

23. bbelichick

bbelichick Moderator Staff Member

I think the discussion is centered on Mass Academies. LV and LAPD have tough academies, no doubt.

24. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

While checking out the week 6 photos today... I just happened to click on the "Recruitment Program" link to see if it has been updated, pretty much since the last time it was updated was in August of 2005. To my surprise, yes! It has been updated! A little excitement here for some of us hopefuls... The update was a nice, big red block with text in it stating, "There has NOT been a new test scheduled." #-o

25. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

MSP still has the meanest looking DI's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.