Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a position today to cite a guy for having a TV forward of the driver. The dude was a bit of an asshole but I didnt cite him. Any troopers on here give me your opinion.

Vehicle reg was NH and the TV was NOT turned on.

If the Screen is not on, is it a citable offence ? Does the fact that its a NH registered vehicle and not turned on have any difference?

·
Registered
186 Posts
"Does the fact that its a NH registered vehicle..."
You're kidding right? Would you let him go for speeding because he was registered in NH and driving in your jurisdiction?
Please don't tell me you're a Hogan's School for Misguide Youth graduate? The Deputy will start rolling in his grave
Chapter 90 Section 13

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Oh gee, does that mean because I am from NH I can drive an uninsured vehicle in MA and not get in deep $hit if I get pulled over? :p

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would say if it wasn't on, do not cite. It's like the aftermarket lighting you can use it only when the MV is not moving and no it does not matter if they are from NH.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok hopefully I don't get myself bashed for asking this... and mind you I haven't been through the F/T academy yet so be gentle :p :lol:

I was under the impression that as far as equipment goes the vehicle had to be legal per the registered states equipment laws. no? Example: Window tint, if MA says 35% and RI says 20% and a RI registered vehicle was driving through my town with 25% he is within the legal limits per the state his vehicle is registered in. So how could I cite him?

Now I don't know what RI tint laws are... but this type of scenario was always my understanding... be it as naive as it may be... it stems from my personal experience with a similar situation as I described above. In 94' Providence PD cited me for my window tint in Providence.... but my vehicle was within legal limits for MA... my local Police Department got the ticket dismissed for me because of that... were they wrong to do so?

·
Registered
186 Posts
"No person, when operating a motor vehicle, shall permit to be on or in the vehicle or on or about his person anything which may interfere with or impede the proper operation of the vehicle or any equipment by which the vehicle is operated or controlled, except that a person may operate a motor vehicle while using a citizens band radio or mobile telephone as long as one hand remains on the steering wheel at all times."

Pretty straight forward for an old guy like me. I usually don't give two poops for MV Law enforcement, but this one is a nice catch all PC. I have never seen a person drop a cell phone while talking and driving, but letting go of the wheel for a second is all you need.

Take time to read the MGL you'll find that many people break the laws at least a couple of times a day. The trick is being there when it happens. I'm not talking about citing the average man/woman for BS crap. This is about PC for a traffic stop when the time is right for you, but very wrong for them.

In time you'll learn to leave the small stuff for the bottom feeders who just like to bust chops. If you wait for the right time with the wrong people you'll do more in 5 minutes then the bottom feeders do in a month.

Today's sermon has ended go in peace.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mv577 @ Tue 31 Aug said:
Ok hopefully I don't get myself bashed for asking this... and mind you I haven't been through the F/T academy yet so be gentle :p :lol:

I was under the impression that as far as equipment goes the vehicle had to be legal per the registered states equipment laws. no? Example: Window tint, if MA says 35% and RI says 20% and a RI registered vehicle was driving through my town with 25% he is within the legal limits per the state his vehicle is registered in. So how could I cite him?

Now I don't know what RI tint laws are... but this type of scenario was always my understanding... be it as naive as it may be... it stems from my personal experience with a similar situation as I described above. In 94' Providence PD cited me for my window tint in Providence.... but my vehicle was within legal limits for MA... my local Police Department got the ticket dismissed for me because of that... were they wrong to do so?
Thats exactly why I included the Reg state in the question. When I was in HS the big thing to do was jack your truck up to the moon and find a way to register it in NH which had no Height Limit. Also this wasnt ment to be a hard ass, its just a personal knowlege question. Im waiting for a Trooper Response to this since they are the 90 Pros.

G

·
:evil: Who cares where the hell he is from. If he's in MASS, he's subject to MASS law just like everybody else. Plus, if he was an asshole, that's even more of a reason to stick it to him. I say write him the GIG and let him go through the hassle of appealing it at court. <===EDIT====>

EDITED By Gil

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't know why the operator was an asshole to you, because having a TV forward of the driver's seat is a citable offense in New Hampshire too...

NH RSA 266:75 Television. - No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with any television viewer, screen or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast which is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or which is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

I know a guy who busted some moron kid for having a PlayStation 2 in his front passenger's seat. He probably wouldn't have noticed it, if he didn't pull up next to the "phat, phreaked out car, man" that was blaring some cRap music... upon stopping the vehicle he observed the passenger still actually playing the game. What a moron.

Posted Tue August 31, 2004 8:54 pm:

:evil: Who cares where the hell he is from. If he's in MASS, he's subject to MASS law just like everybody else. Plus, if he was an asshole, that's even more of a reason to stick it to him. I say write him the GIG and let him go through the hassle of appealing it at court. <===EDIT===>!
There is your Trooper Response... cite the idiot.

:eek:t: I hate these idiots who drive like morons in New England because they don't think that ticket they get is going to matter because they live in some far away state... but who has the last laugh when they return to New England to find a warrant for failure to appear... :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
In regards to tint, there was a case law that came down from Georgia a few weeks ago. A police officer stopped a MV with a GA reg. for excessive tint. She was subsequently arrested for OUI I believe. She appealed that the stop was unlawful since the 35% law only applies to GA residents and not out of state residents. appelate court agreed and the GA law for tint was repealed. Now there is no tint law in GA. However her conviction stuck because the officer was acting within the law and good faith. It would be interesting if the same can happen in Massachusetts now.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
JoninNH @ Tue 31 Aug said:
:eek:t: I hate these idiots who drive like morons in New England because they don't think that ticket they get is going to matter because they live in some far away state... but who has the last laugh when they return to New England to find a warrant for failure to appear... :lol:
Plus, with the NDR firmly in place for years now, they can "run" but not hide. Skip out on a ticket in MASS and your home state RMV will get notified. Their home rules then apply by the respective state's Registrar. I have also seen insurance companies get notified.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Had a guy I stopped recently that got a ticket for speeding in Plymouth in 1986 and was suspended since he never paid it and had a NH license. He was a little ticked off when i towed his car and summonsed him. He said "I though they forgive tickets more than 10 years old". Rigghttt!!

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
:evil: Who cares where the hell he is from. If he's in MASS, he's subject to MASS law just like everybody else. Plus, if he was an asshole, that's even more of a reason to stick it to him. I say write him the GIG and let him go through the hassle of appealing it at court. <===EDIT===>!
There is your Trooper Response... cite the idiot.
Having a MSP avatar does not automatically make you a trooper. Just something to keep in mind.

Back on topic, I only cite if I observe them using it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Plain and simple brother, we enforce MA laws here. We are not trained in the laws of other states so dont worry about them. The way it was explained to me in the academy is if vehicles are to be operated on GODS (the registrar of motor vehicles) roads, then they must conform to GODS rules, regulations, and laws.
Thank you Sir...

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
ecpd402 @ 11 Sep 2004 20:09 said:
My agency does not get involved in BPD issues. we have buildings scattered all over boston and only deal with our property. John J maybe you are confusing us with your old agency. all our officer understand our role and never conducted MV stops.
Ok, you and Union 1 need to get your story straight. 402 you say that you guys never conduct M/V stops. If that is the truth then what the hell is this:

http://www.masscops.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4875

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
My agency does not get involved in BPD issues. we have buildings scattered all over boston and only deal with our property. John J maybe you are confusing us with your old agency. all our officer understand our role and never conducted MV stops.
Ok, you and Union 1 need to get your story straight. 402 you say that you guys never conduct M/V stops. If that is the truth then what the hell is this:

Might have two badges?

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
John J he has two badges. The other department he works for has ch 90. Most of us here have or had two badges.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
John J @ Sun 12 Sep said:

John, I think im going to give you an "F" in life. Your obviously lacking in the logical thought process.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.