Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not into giving tickets BUT sometimes we have to. CMR 720/9.06 covers "following too close, fail to use care in backing, etc, etc.." but CMR's are apparently only for highways under the supposed control of the State (ie: Rt 128, Rt 3,Rt 3A, Rt 2, Rt 24, Rt 44..) -these are $20 citations. What if, and it occurs regularly, these offenses occur and are the cause of an mva on a municipal road or in a plaza parking lot ? What, if any, "Ch 90 " violation covers these infractions ??? It's not as clearly spelled out as, for example, failing to stop at a red light is (89-9).. What, short of the criminal offense of Driving to Endanger- do you do ? What section covers the CMR offenses on municipal roads ??

·
Super Moderator
7,149 Posts
jimbo said:
i'm not into giving tickets BUT sometimes we have to. CMR 720/9.06 covers "following too close, fail to use care in backing, etc, etc.." but CMR's are apparently only for highways under the supposed control of the State (ie: Rt 128, Rt 3,Rt 3A, Rt 2, Rt 24, Rt 44..) -these are $20 citations. What if, and it occurs regularly, these offenses occur and are the cause of an mva on a municipal road or in a plaza parking lot ? What, if any, "Ch 90 " violation covers these infractions ??? It's not as clearly spelled out as, for example, failing to stop at a red light is (89-9).. What, short of the criminal offense of Driving to Endanger- do you do ? What section covers the CMR offenses on municipal roads ??
This may help point you in the right direction...

http://www.mass.gov/courts/courtsan...ans861revisedcmviassessmentschedule062005.pdf

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,713 Posts
I thought 540's anybody can write? It just has to be on public way.

:ermm:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 540's are limited - 720cmr9.06 covers the offenses i'm inquiring about. i didn't know that roads connected to a state highway are included by 720. is that only for roads directly connected ? Does any Ch 90 section cover what 720cmr9.06 does ?( Frank's link shows the traffic offenses under the cmr's and ch 90)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
apparently there is no "Ch 90" statute that is the equivilent of 720CMR9.06 - what do you do, short of the criminal offense of Operating Recklessly, to address the very common causes of most mva's that we see ? Stop signs, Failing to Yield, etc, are covered in Ch 90 but the offenses like following to close, etc are not.. Why can't the RMV spell it out clearly like this CMR, which is basically restricted to State Highways, does?? the 540's don't cover much and certaintly not like 720.. Where is Captain Cardalino ? He'd know

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check with the town / city clerk. Most, if not all of the towns I've delt with have incorporated 720 into the town bylaws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts