Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police Activity Seen On Lowell, Maple Streets In Manchester

Central High School was in lockdown and several Manchester streets were closed Thursday because of police activity.

Lowell and Maple streets in the area of Central High School are among those affected. News 9 crews at the scene said at least a dozen police cruisers are in the area.

Central High was placed in lockdown, and students were going to be held at the school past the dismissal time, police said.
No one has been allowed into the area or any nearby businesses. Some residents have been evacuated from their homes.
Very few details are currently available. Click refresh on this page for the latest updates to this story.

http://www.wmur.com/news/17729129/detail.html

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Late reports say the action in Manchester, NH was response to a robbery in the area of the school. At this time students are being dismissed as a high number of police maintain a watchful eye. Faculty and police are working together to insure students leave the area quickly. Reports indicate a weapon may have been used in the robbery.

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
MANCHESTER - Police blocked busy city streets and locked down Central High School yesterday afternoon during a six-hour standoff that fizzled after the suspect of a robbery was arrested several blocks away from his suspected hideout.
Police blocked Maple Street near the Lowell Street intersection from about 1 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. SWAT officers in black clothing and camouflage surrounded 240 Lowell St., while a negotiator used a bullhorn to try to coax out the suspect.
Students were initially forbidden to leave Central High School and then were released from the school one class at a time through doors farthest away from the standoff.
The standoff ended about 7 p.m. when police arrested Troy Woodruff, 32, of 285 Lake Ave., No. 1, while he was walking on Central Street. He was charged with Class A robbery. Also arrested was a companion, Jamie Spaulding, 25, who was charged with criminal liability for robbery.
Boucher said police are investigating whether others were involved in the robbery.
Meanwhile, a police dog was badly bitten by a pit bull at the Lowell Street property after the arrests, police said.
The incident started with the gunpoint robbery of a pedestrian on Lowell Street about 1 p.m., police said.

Click here for images from the standoff by New Hampshire Union Leader photographers Thomas Roy and Mark Bolton.

Police Chief David Mara said a credible witness had seen the robber enter 240 Lowell St., a problem address that police have associated with drug activity and prostitution. In fact, last week police sent a registered letter to the absentee landlord to inform the person about the criminal activity and demand that action be taken.
WOODRUFF

State drug laws prohibits a person from knowingly maintaining such a nuisance property.
"We're trying to use every law, everything we can, to clean the city up and make it safe," Mara said. "Hopefully the landlord will get the message."
On-line property records list the owner as Rita Mansfield Green but give no address.
All street-side windows of the house were obscured by sheets last night. Police remained outside into the night, awaiting a judge's approval before searching the property.
A pit bull was leashed outside.
Boucher said the pit bull attacked a police dog that was being used to clear apartments in the house after Woodruff and Spaulding were arrested.
Nero was held overnight at a veterinary clinic with a couple of puncture wounds in the chest. A police officer punched and pepper-sprayed the pit bull to get it to release Nero.
SPAULDING

"It was a pretty nasty dog, very vicious," Boucher said.
During the standoff, a negotiator made numerous attempts to make with anyone in the house, offering help and assuring any occupant they would not be harmed.
Boucher said they believed the suspect possibly had hostages.
"I'd rather wait a few hours and resolve it safely, rather than rushing in," Mara said.
The streets around the building were closed off as about a dozen police cars blocked streets and diverted traffic away from the intersection of Lowell and Maple streets.
The traffic changes and the closing of Maple Street -- a major artery through the city -- created tie-ups in many areas. Bridge Street was stop-and-go as was Beech Street and cars crawled through the streets east of Central after they were diverted off Maple Street.
Central High School went into lockdown for the safety of students and staff, said Central Principal John Rist.
By 3 p.m., school and police officials started the school evacuation. All students were out within an hour.
Students who walk to school were directed to Bronstein Park if they had no place to go. Bused students were picked up near the west side of the school.
Administrators and faculty stood in the rain directing students away from Lowell Street and the east side of the building.
Rist said students handled the situation well.
"The people who were the biggest pain were the parents. When they are here I'm the parent. I'm sure I made some people unhappy," Rist said.
All activities in the building were canceled, he said.
UNION LEADER

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man Charged In Robbery Denies Any Involvement

Police Find Man At Different Location Following SWAT Team Response

Video: Man Denies Involvement In Manchester Robbery, Standoff

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- A man arrested after police said he triggered a scare and standoff in downtown Manchester vehemently denied in court Friday that he had anything to do with it.

Troy Woodruff, 32, was charged with felony robbery and being a felon in possession of a dangerous weapon. Police began a six-hour standoff Thursday after a person reported being robbed on Lowell Street. The victim reported seeing the assailant enter a Lowell Street building.

Police said they responded in force, calling out a SWAT team and blocking off streets at 1 p.m., because they received information that Woodruff had been armed with an AK-47 and handgun days before and had vowed to kill a police officer before being taken into custody.
At his arraignment, Woodruff vigorously denied the charges.

"I was standing out there half the time while they had the whole school cordoned off," he said.

Central High School students were kept after their dismissal time because of the police activity. They were released two hours after the standoff began from an exit furthest away from the scene.

At about 7 p.m., Woodruff was arrested on Central Street. He said that the case against him doesn't make any sense.

"How can I have somebody inside with a gun, with a hostage, when I'm standing outside with you?" Woodruff said.

Police said Woodruff stole $3,000 from the victim, along with gold chains worth nearly $10,000. Woodruff said that if that's true, where's the evidence?

"I didn't have no $3,000. I didn't have no gold chains," Woodruff said. "And I came to jail -- (if) I just robbed somebody a couple hours before of $3,000 -- I came to jail with 20 cents in my pocket."

Police also arrested Jamie Spaulding, 25, of Allenstown, who was identified as Woodruff's girlfriend. She was charged with criminal liability for driving Woodruff away from the scene.

Investigators said there could be more arrests because the victim reported being jumped by two men.

http://www.wmur.com/news/17739075/detail.html

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
An Allenstown man, wanted in connection with a robbery that last week turned into a six-hour standoff with police on Lowell Street, is under arrest.
William Melvin, 48,, of 5 Whitten St., is charged with robbery in the Oct. 16 incident.
Melvin, along with Troy Woodruff, 32, of 285 Lake Ave., allegedly robbed Jerrel Luther, 30, On Oct. 16 on Maple Street. Luther reported he was hit in the face with a handgun and robbed of $3,000 during the 1 p.m. incident.
Luther said he chased Woodruff and a second man, identified by police as Melvin, into 240 Lowell St. That resulted in police blocking off heavily trafficked city streets, locking down nearby Central High School and posting heavily armed officers around the building for six hours.
The standoff ended at 7 p.m. after police arrested Woodruff as he was walking on Central Street. His girlfriend, Jamie Spaulding, 25, of 4 Mark Drive, Allenstown, also was arrested for criminal liability to armed robbery.
UNION LEADER

1 - 5 of 5 Posts