Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

MassCops Founder
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how dept's are dealing with the decreasing coverage with Verizons CDPD service. I have read in some reports that one city (not in mass) went from 70% citywide coverage to about 30% with no signs of improvement because CDPD is being phased out and the only route to go is with the new CDMA. Is anybody seeing that much of a loss with your laptop connections?

We are experiencing a lot of downtime and disconnects with the laptops, at first I thought it was a problem with the laptops themselves (bad modem or messed up configuration) but it appears to be a connection (area coverage) problem.

Has anyone started switching over to CDMA and if so with what carrier (Verizon, Sprint, etc...)

Subscribing Member
We have no problem with our CDPD Gil. Verizon has not started to shut down CDPD in MA at all so it should not be an issue. CDMA once fully implemented will replace CDPD. Just remember ,you will also need new modems(pricey) and the monthly charge per laptop will go up to $79 from $49 now and $25 for a handheld IPAQ. I think you should contact Verzion. The only thing I can think of is that you are so close to RI, that you might be running off their towers and if RI started phasing out CDPD then you will have a problem. Nextel is on the bandwagon and if they get CHSB approval that would change the market a bit, as Verizon dominates it now.

MassCops Founder
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you mention it S.Attleboro coverage is the worst.... I wonder if RI has already started to phase it out :? I would hope that NEXTEL and Sprint jump on the bandwagon, the competition will do nothing but good things for LE here in mass, lower prices better coverage etc...

I did see a memo from AT&T Wireless stating it's time to act on this now and they are claiming to save money with their CDPD migration program as compared to Verizons.

I don't want to type the entire memo but the contact info for the Government Account Team is:

Jim Leonard
781-929-0449
[email protected]

and

Stephen Centorino
617-513-8607
[email protected]

MassCops Founder
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Subscribing Member
Gil, unfortunately the only approved vendor for the state right now is Verizon. So until that changes we are stuck with Verizon. My sources say that the only other vendor that has a chance and it looks really good, is Nextel. We'll see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.