CCRI Police Captain | MassCops

CCRI Police Captain

Discussion in 'New England Employment' started by Kilvinsky, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

The pay is atrocious, so we'll get that out of the way before the salary police start screaming. It's not a good paycheck on it's own. 'Nuff said. Add it to a pension or take it over some private security job paychecks and it could be pretty sweet. Ok, that's out of the way, no need to beat THAT dead horse.

Campus Police Captain
    Institution:
    Community College of Rhode Island

Category:
    Admin - Police and Public Safety

Posted:
    07/17/2019

Application Due:
    08/07/2019

Type:
    Full-Time

Department: College Police

Job Summary

The Community College of Rhode Island is the state's only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations throughout the state. Our primary mission is to offer recent high school graduates and returning adults the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth through an array of academic, career and lifelong learning programs.

We meet the wide-ranging educational needs of our diverse student population, building on our rich tradition of excellence in teaching and our dedication to all students with the ability and motivation to succeed. We set high academic standards necessary for transfer and career success, champion diversity, respond to community needs, and contribute to our state's economic development and the region's workforce.

Our college is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive work environment that supports the success of all our employees. We believe that employees who feel valued and respected will create policies, programs, practices and services to effectively meet the needs and exceed the expectations of our increasingly diverse student population.

We are committed to hiring and retaining diverse, culturally competent staff members at all levels of our college who not only reflect the demographics of our state but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve our community.

This is a supervisory level position with administrative and office management responsibilities. The incumbent assists the Director and Assistant Director with the implementation of policies and procedures involving Campus Police, Security and Safety Department. To assume command of the department in the absence of the Director or Assistant Director. Oversee administrative, operational, training & professional standards duties.

Duties and Responsibilities
    • Plan and direct the field and office work of security/safety and college police and other office staff on all shifts; resolve problems and meet emergencies calmly and efficiently; make arrests in accordance with the provisions of all applicable laws. Enforce all applicable traffic and parking regulations. Conduct campus inspections at various times of the day or night.
    • Conduct as required criminal and civil investigations; make reports and recommendations as necessary; attend college disciplinary hearings and appear in court as necessary.
    • Conduct roll call inspections and briefings of department personnel; assign overtime details to ensure adequate staffing levels are maintained at all times; prepare duty schedules and post assignments as necessary.
    • Supervise and coordinate the department's fire prevention and safety inspection program; ensure that all safety deficiencies are detected and corrected.
    • As necessary, fill in for supervisory level police personnel i.e., Supervising Public Property Officers and Supervisors, Campus Police Officers and Supervisors, Campus Patrol Persons and Police and Supervisors, by working shifts not covered due to sickness, vacation, emergency, etc.
    • Assist with the maintenance of strong public relations with all members of the college community, general public and external agencies.
    • Coordinate security activities with various internal and external agencies such as local police and fire departments.
    • On a daily basis, advise the Director and Assistant Director of the status of matters needing attention and or correction such as shift coverage, on going investigations, inspection results.
    • Prepare, review and critique staff reports regarding police and other security related matters. Provide training as needed in report writing and investigation techniques.
    • Ensure the maintenance of all police and security equipment. Inspect all vehicles used by the department to ensure that they are properly equipped and maintained for everyday use.
    • On occasion, as the highest ranking officer on duty, respond to and resolve all security matters occurring on the shift.
    • Assist injured person(s) and, as needed, lift and carry injured person(s) to places of safety and/or medical attention.
    • Ensure compliance with Clery Act, VAWA, TitleIX
    • Evaluate and interpret current State, Federal laws, regulations and directives and Board of Education/College policies. Develop and lead strategies to ensure compliance.
    • Ensure compliance with standards set by the RI Police Accreditation Commission.
    • Maintain the highest level of professionalism for the entire Campus Police Department through training, selection and evaluation of personnel.
    • Demonstrate proficiency in and serve in leadership roles in emergency preparedness.
    • Serve on College committees.
    • Work with IT to have knowledge and ability to train on public safety electronic security systems (RAVE, Kerri door access, etc).
    • Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy of community policing and promote it throughout the department.
    • Other related duties as assigned.
    Minimum Qualifications
    • Associate's degree required, preferably in law enforcement or related field.
    • Must have satisfactorily completed the Municipal Police Training Academy prior to appointment.
    • Must have the ability to implement and train personnel in police and security procedures.
    • Must have at least five years of prior work experience in the field of law enforcement.
    • At least three years' supervisory experience required, preferably in a collective bargaining setting.
    • Must have strong interpersonal, communications, analytical and decision making skills.
    • Must be flexible and able to act calmly in emergency situations.
    Shift, Days, and Additional Work Schedule Information: Non-Standard; 35 hours per week

Salary Range: Range begins at $34,754

Desired Start Date: ASAP
    Application Information
    Office of Human Resources
    Community College of Rhode Island

Online App. Form:
    https://jobs.ccri.edu/postings/2564

2. Bananaman

Bananaman MassCops Member

"We are committed to hiring and retaining..."

o_O Are you though?

Joel98 likes this.
  3. Kilvinsky

Well, yes, you make an excellent point.

Joel98 likes this.
  4. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

I know a few guys who have retired and going on to that department. I believe they started in the low 40s as patrol officers. I think the pay scale advertised may be a bit outdated. If I had to guess that position would probably be somewhere in the 70s, which is still crummy

Joel98 likes this.
  5. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

This is an unarmed “department” on a campus that has no housing. Most if not all “police work” is handled by local PD this is basically a security department.

mpd61 and pahapoika like this.
  6. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

what a surprise!?:eek:

7. felony

felony MassCops Member

This job will go to a retired RISP Trooper or Providence Command staff. Ccri police do attend the RI Municipal police academy. They have police powers by statute. When I was at RIMPA, I never saw them really do much besides lock doors as we were the last ones to leave Lincoln at night.

8. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

upload_2019-7-21_11-19-43.jpeg

At least you can save the Earth at this dept. There isnt a more intimidating cruiser than the hybrid Toyota Highlander.

pahapoika and CCCSD like this.
  9. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Don't talk shit or they'll upgrade to hybrid Fusions. Oh, wait a second...

pahapoika and CCCSD like this.
  10. Kilvinsky

I never put down what cruiser a department drives.

although I may not fully agree with the choice. I speak from experience.

Though God knows, sleeping in a Fusion is VERY relaxing. That seat just cradles you...

NO, THAT'S A LIE. I'm speaking out of my ASS. I never sleep at work! NEVER! To be honest, it's the getting in and out of a fucking Fusion that is the pure hell of those cars. They are NOT built for normal people. If a department hired only dwarfs, then a Fusion might be perfect, but anyone over 5' 2" is screwed and has to develop a technique to getting in and out so as to not destroy their hips. A Highlander? Shit, not bad; not bad at all.

Goose likes this.
  11. felony

felony MassCops Member

They are lucky they even have cruisers. CCRI lincoln was a mile long circular roadway. Warwick I think is even smaller.

12. Kilvinsky

Funny how LONG a mile can be when you have to walk to the call. Run? Are you KIDDING me?

13. Goose

FWIW, Ford has hybrid Interceptor Utilties now. I don't remember if they started making them in 2019 or 2020.

RodneyFarva likes this.
  14. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Rumor has it my dept next car will be a ford hybrid. 67096114_10218591083555851_7565440215930634240_n.jpg hybrid msp.jpg twld24gsrs631.jpg

Goose, LA Copper and j809 like this.
  15. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

16. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

I'm not sure. I would hope its optional.

17. Goose

I'd have to look at an order sheet, but they can be ordered with a regular or turbocharged gasoline non-hybrid engine. I'm pretty sure the conventional gas engine (3.6L) is cheaper than the hybrid powertrain package.

I haven't ordered any 2020s yet so I'm 100% on that though. They've only been available to order for roughly 3 months now (at least through the 1122 program).

18. Kilvinsky

We had hybrids. I was fine with hybrids. They got me from point A to point B without it costing ME a dime. They were quiet and we didn't have to fill them up so often.

We now have NON-hybrid Explorers. I like the size over the previous Fusions. You could put a Fusion in the Explorer's trunk! I just find it amusing that when the gas gage reads 3/4 of a tank, a warning light comes on saying you're about to run out of gas! UGH!

pahapoika and Goose like this.
  19. Goose

Lol, look at the distance to empty calculation. It's actually calibrated...

20. Kilvinsky

That it is. A lot of idle time tends to kill the gas supply, but I'll be damned if I'm going to drive 40 around the city all night just to improve the millage. Though, it could be fun. I'd just put the lights and siren on and aimlessly drive around yelling out the window, "It's for the Environment!"

Goose likes this.