Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
9cr57 lapd said:
what are the laws and fines regarding carrying oc type sprays without a valid permit?

:twisted:
MGL Chpt 140 Sec 129C in accordance with Chpt 269 Sec 10 Under Unlawful carry is a Felony up to 5years or a misdemeanor up to 2 half years in HC.

Important Note: If the individual in question had a FID card and it expired under Chpt 140 Sec 129C (12) the Felony or Misdemeanor charges is non existent. A civil fine of not less then $500 dollars or not more then $5000 will be issued

Hope this helps

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I often find when searching female types the small OC or Mace keychains gotten for them by their well-meaning fathers, brothers, boyfriends, etc. I usually toss said keychains with a warning, unless the person wants to be a shitbird (oops, can't use that word anymore).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i ran across an employee in our emergency room (R.N.) who lost his heys, and attached to them was a
Kuboton (sp?) . i recognized this type as the one that sprays oc out the tail cap.

i advised him that if he needed to carry this on his key chain he should obtain an fid card. since that last meeting, he has since removed it from his key chain.

thanks for update on the law!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Just my opinion here guys/gals.

Ease up on the college girls and old ladies. Let them have their pepper spray. It's a tough world out there. Try going to work without your gun sometime.

(I do realize that occasionally shitbirds (oops) get caught with these items also. By all means enforce the law When necessary.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Agreed Harley387, discrection if often our greatest tool....

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Harley387 said:
Just my opinion here guys/gals.

Ease up on the college girls and old ladies. Let them have their pepper spray. It's a tough world out there. Try going to work without your gun sometime.

(I do realize that occasionally shitbirds (oops) get caught with these items also. By all means enforce the law When necessary.
If I find a person with a Mace or OC spray, they determine the out come of what I would do. If for example the said individual was or is cooperative and the individual does not have a bad BOP record or is not on probation for any reason. I take the spray and warn them and or teach them about the law. However, I do not decide what to do based on their gender or age.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i do agree that if i stop someone and they have oc with out a permit and they are compliant, i will teach them the law (now that i know the fines/ punishment) regarding the lawful carrying of such items. I have not run across anyone that gave me an attitude, if so i will then enforce the law instead of educating them!.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sully, if that question was for me, then as far as i know we (bidmc) were issued the oc after we were properly trained in compliance with mcjtc in the use of it.

i have both fid and ltc the question never came up if we needed it, i just assumed that the state special powers covered us while we were working.

:wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just my opinion,

I feel that anyone 18 y/o or older should be able to carry a form of pepper spray WITHOUT needing an FID, etc. Just my two cents.

Ed

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
EsxPD319 said:
Just my opinion,

I feel that anyone 18 y/o or older should be able to carry a form of pepper spray WITHOUT needing an FID, etc. Just my two cents.

Ed
Ya Imagine that? Allowing adult citizens to carry a non-lethal form of defense without having a license and paying a fee for a "restricted" Firearms ID card.
:wl:

Thank God we have a legislature that exhibits common sense!
:A!:
Like I'm ever going to worry about enforcing this law, unless some unlicensed person uses it on me, or in the commission of a crime. Come on get real.

G

·
Is it really that necessary for a hospital police department to carry FIREARMS. Especially BIDMC! I work for the City of Boston as unarmed law enforcement and am not aware of that many times that BIDMC has had incidents that would require firearms... If I am wrong with this then please educate me, because I understand the area is a little rough, but that is BPD territory and they are a little protective of their land. :roll:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when we took the job were were told the job was as a police officer. we were told the issued duty weapon was a 40 cal pistol. we qualified at the range for 40 hrs.......yet we are still not carrying our weapons...

as for the area, yeah it's close to the projects. as for bpd being territorial, they have every right to....however, the hospital has every right to start a new police agency and give train the officers to carry weapons if they so desire!

this is not my first police job, nor my last when you are a city cop and have all the tools to effectively do your job, moving back home to the east coast and working as unarmed police (when the job should be armed)
is a little uneasy.

hope this helps you out!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Holeeeee JEEZUS!!!!!
:shock:

Ranger! Pahleeze. Can you seriously ask such a question? You certainly are new to this board. WHOA!
Can somebody please bring this person up to speed?
:wink:

G

·
damn

Hey yeah I am new to the board, I fully agree with 9cr57 lapd, but as for being brought up to speed I am operating at full speed thank you. If that is what you were promised then you should expect nothing less.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts