Carrying Firearm in Washington DC Under LEOSA | Page 2 | MassCops

Carrying Firearm in Washington DC Under LEOSA

Discussion in 'Firepower!!!' started by militia_man, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Speaking of LEOSA, does anyone know the current protocol for flying with a gun? The last time I did was pre-9/11, and back then it had be in checked baggage inside a locked container inside a suitcase.

Is it still the same?

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Thanks....I don't need to jump through all those hoops, I just want to be able to carry when I arrive at my destination in November.

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

It was amazingly easy the last time I did it, I was just figuring it would be a nightmare with all the post-9/11 regulations.

Ironically enough, my destination in November is Denver, a stone's throw away from Aurora.

4. adroitcuffs

adroitcuffs Subscribing Member

Pack in your checked bag, weapon unloaded, in a hard-sided, locked case (ammo can be left in the magazines, just have them outside of the weapon). Just give yourself time to check in at the ticketing counter. Tell the ticketing agent you need to declare a firearm. He/she will have you sign a form & may or may not have you open the locked case so they can see the firearm. They put a tag on the gun case showing it's been "declared", then have you lock it all up & they put it on the belt to go. At least now, they don't put a neon tag on the exterior of the luggage saying "GUN" like they used to.

Delta784 likes this.
  5. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Don't go on the Metro period.

6. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

I checked my gun & ammo back in May. I flew on Jet Blue. They were great and checked it with no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Delta784 likes this.
  7. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I just got off the phone with my Father who just flew back today to Del Boca vista from Bozeman Montana. Had no issues with checking in his Ruger Alaskan, hes not a cop, hes a plumber but since both professions unclog the shit from the bowl of life I thought it was relevant.

8. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Same thing...just have to declare it in your checked baggage to the ticketing agent.

Delta784 likes this.
  9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Right, I'm sure that "The Joker" is the only psychopath in Colorado. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, my next trip is in November to Denver instead of Colorado Springs.

frank likes this.
  10. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Also, print out a copy of the law and the TSA regulations....the front one of defense isn't always the most enlightened.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Do you have a link handy?

12. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Hush, USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  13. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

"If you are warrior who is legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that the bad man will not come today. No one can be "on" 24/7, for a lifetime. Everyone needs down time. But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... "Baa."" -Lt. Col. Grossman

militia_man, LawMan3, Hush and 4 others like this.
  14. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

A little late to this jam session...

All the Smithsonian museums have metal detectors, and the waiting lines to go through can be pretty long and busy. I don't know if they will allow carry by LEO's inside, but do keep in mind you might inadvertently cause a scene at security.

As for New Jersey, if you're just passing through, officers like the rest of the citizenry would be covered by the "Safe Passage" provision of the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) which allows interstate transport as long as you are 1) legally able to possess the gun and ammo in both the departure and destination states, 2) you don't stop for any extended period of time (like overnight at a hotel), and 3) the gun is stored. Thus as long as you pass right through NJ without stopping, you should be fine as long as you're not carrying the JHP. In all liklihood LEOSA should be enough, but in case you were looking for the ironclad way to avoid any hassles.

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  15. DLGM

DLGM New Member

Gentlemen & Ladies,
    Posted 06-09-18:
    I am retired from the Los Angeles Police Department. I attempted to enter the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and was turned away by a very rude and obnoxious fellow who was quite annoyed with my presence. I was very humble, quiet, and orderly about my approach and asked him if he needed to see my identification and such. He said he didn't need to see anything and I needed to leave as I was not allowed in the building. It was quite humiliating in front of my twins and wife and naturally, there were other people entering that witnessed the spectacle. I got the impression if I had simply said I was a police officer he would have reluctantly let me enter but when he saw retired on my badge, he became quite indignant. I got the impression he would rather let a gang member in with an AK-47 than me. Don't get the wrong idea here, I am a very nice guy and use "Sir" and "Ma'am" in every conversation as was the case with this gentleman. He was just a jerk! I just thought I would post this as I googled "LEOSA+Carrying in Washington DC" and this forum popped up. I wish you well.

MiamiVice likes this.