Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve finally convinced my mother to start to carry a Taser with her when she’s running. She’s signing up for a safety class and getting her LTC. The only issue is that she lives in a very red town and will most likely get a restricted LTC.
Anyone here know if civilians can carry a Taser with a restricted LTC? She has absolutely no interest in owning a firearm so she doesn’t need the ability to carry that. Just wondering if she can just get the restricted or if I should find a way to help her get an unrestricted.
Thanks in advance for any insight

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
So I’ve finally convinced my mother to start to carry a Taser with her when she’s running. She’s signing up for a safety class and getting her LTC. The only issue is that she lives in a very red town and will most likely get a restricted LTC.
Anyone here know if civilians can carry a Taser with a restricted LTC? She has absolutely no interest in owning a firearm so she doesn’t need the ability to carry that. Just wondering if she can just get the restricted or if I should find a way to help her get an unrestricted.
I believe they are treated just like firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Even if she has a restricted ltc license she’ll be able to carry the stun gun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The supreme court ruled a couple years ago that the state has no authority to ban them

Caetano v. Massachusetts, 577 US __ , 136 S. Ct. 1027(2016).
The US Supreme Court held that the reasoning of the SJC in Comm. v. Caetano, 470 Mass. 774 (2015), in ruling that the Second Amendment didn’t apply to stun guns was incorrect. The US Supreme Court sent the case back to Massachusetts. The case didn’t rule the Massachusetts law, MGL c. 140, § 131J, unconstitutional.

And 140/131J doesn’t even mention stun guns or tasers carried by the public it just talks about law enforcement getting proper training and needing to have a device which can track how many shots were fired from the device

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Need an LTC to carry one, as it falls under the definition of a firearm under Chapter140/Section121, and any LTC restriction would apply.

'Firearm'', a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Need an LTC to carry one, as it falls under the definition of a firearm under Chapter140/Section121, and any LTC restriction would apply.

'Firearm'', a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.
Yup, just looked it up further you’re right! The ruling was just saying that the state couldn’t ban them and could only regulate them, so in Massachusetts fashion they now require a license to own (ltc) it doesn’t talk about a restricted LTC though just says a LTC so i would assume if someone can get a LTC then they can get a taser, but if the restriction says you can’t carry then i would say that applies to a taser to as they are treated like a firearm

·
Registered
255 Posts

When you pick a restriction for an LTC it gives you a few options-

Target/hunting
None
Employment
Other
Sporting

You can also have a license just for the taser but the LTC itself covers it . So there’s no restriction regarding the carry of you have a license .

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the information! I really appreciate it. Looks like going with an unrestricted will be safer. Although a sporting restriction includes “outdoor recreation” so that might be broad enough to cover running anyway. I appreciate everyone’s help

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,757 Posts
When you pick a restriction for an LTC it gives you a few options-

Target/hunting
None
Employment
Other
Sporting

You can also have a license just for the taser but the LTC itself covers it . So there’s no restriction regarding the carry of you have a license .
Any criminal record not withstanding, I wouldn't even think about restrictions. Apply for the unrestricted. Let the licensing authority or designee knock you down from there.
Another even simpler route may be carrying OC spray. Deploying a taser takes training, and most civilian versions require close contact (touch). OC may be the better option.
No LTC to deal with at all, and can be carried as conveniently/deployed as a Taser.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I hate to say but if your mother has safety concerns, I’d rather have her in possession of the taser when she needs it versus not having it. From a legal standpoint, she’d be carrying outside of restriction. But I think any police officer in 2021 who would take issue with her restrictions is a clown. Unless she’s going around brandishing it or bullying people.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She already has OC, I’ve showed her how to use that but I’ve just seen OC not be effective enough too many times to be comfortable with it. But I agree about it being the easier option. Taser does make a civilian model that doesn’t require contact and is about the same size as a subcompact.
And I totally agree that if she is ever in a position where she needs the Taser, the restrictions should be the least of anyone’s worries but I’d rather avoid that headache altogether.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Honestly as much as this state is such a screw up as it pertains to the areas of 140.
Just have her get a un restricted class a A Will be the safest best all around. In fact we issue everyone class A un restricted in my town. We don't even go otherwise even if an applicant asks. Just my chiefs thing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Honestly as much as this state is such a screw up as it pertains to the areas of 140.
Just have her get a un restricted class a A Will be the safest best all around. In fact we issue everyone class A un restricted in my town. We don't even go otherwise even if an applicant asks. Just my chiefs thing.
The OP’s issue is that his mother lives in a red town. There are certain towns where you need to call in personal favors (if you got them) or beg and plead to get unrestricted. It’s the stupidest thing ever, but it isn’t guaranteed to get unrestricted like most towns.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Any criminal record not withstanding, I wouldn't even think about restrictions. Apply for the unrestricted. Let the licensing authority or designee knock you down from there.
Another even simpler route may be carrying OC spray. Deploying a taser takes training, and most civilian versions require close contact (touch). OC may be the better option.
No LTC to deal with at all, and can be carried as conveniently/deployed as a Taser.
I agree. I was just letting him know what options I have on the pull down tab when I issue the license .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts