Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's that time of year again were at my part-time job the issue of us losing our firearms comes up every year. If possible I would like to here from other campus police officers, if you could, help me with a survey by suppling the following info,

Campus name and if you carry or don't carry.

Also if any campus is going to be carrying in the future.

Thanks for the info in advance. I want some info just in case it is brought up for the next fiscal year

Thanks,

Ed

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
I work at Fisher College. We use to carry. However due to Fisher being a private college, being run by a bunch of anti-cop, anti-gun, liberal freaks, we lost our firearms last July. Good luck and I hope you guys are allowed to keep yours.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Originally posted by JohnJ:
I work at Fisher College. We use to carry. However due to Fisher being a private college, being run by a bunch of anti-cop, anti-gun, liberal freaks, we lost our firearms last July. Good luck and I hope you guys are allowed to keep yours.
John, was there an incident that lead up to loosing the sidearms? Or is it that the admin didn't like the looks of them?

BTW: Tell "Dog-Chow" Dalton I said hi.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Originally posted by Deputydog522:
I'm asked the question why don't you have a gun!
Response: Because we hurt enough people with just our nightsticks they are afraid to give us guns.

Next question?

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
Hi Ed.

NUPD carries Glock .40 cal. (i think it was Model 23). As far as the previous post, if they use the word POLICE on your uniform, they should arm you with a departmental issued and authorized weapon. If not, then they should change the name to SECURITY and have you wearing suit coats.

OK, I said NUPD again, back to counseling.

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
I work at Wentworth and we just upgraded to a Sig Sauer 2340/40cal :D . One of the nice options this gun has is that it will not fire if the magazine is not in. It was a big selling point with the administration of the college.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Hi LEOs
Bunker Hill Com College does not carry fire arms. It is a hot topic especially last month when one of our officers tried to stop several car thiefs and almost got run over or when I had to respond to a ATM robbery which the suspects had knifes and one had a gun. I cant believe the stories of colleges once armed and now the have taken them away real strange since 9/11 happen. I would think they would be pushing fror more schools to be armed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just do not get how alot of Colleges and Universities are not for having an armed Campus Police Department. It just doesnt make sence how these people think!! They think we are Supermen and we can take bullets. How is it across the country in other Campus Police Departments? Do other states have the same problem we have here in wonderful Massachusetts? Let me know.....

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
BHCCPD, stopping car thieves and responding to a known armed robbery without a gun is suicide. I feel for you brother. Pick your battles remember you want to go home at night. There is nothing wrong with calling in another department that is armed for backup. On occasion we get calls from some of the smaller colleges in the area when the shit hits the fan at their place.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Bridgewater State carries S&W in 9mm and is in the process of going to .40cal in S&W99 i think...
I know Mt.IDA is trying to get armed at this time, but they don't know whats going to happin with that, I hear it's school adm issues that Mt IDA is trying to work out.But I must say if you say police on your patch, than you must be armed....If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck than..... We might as well as, not have on a uniform if we aren't armed.. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
354 Posts
I personally think that all Departments with the word Police on their patch should carry a firearm. I really dont understand why some Departments do not carry. I work for a Campus Department and we do not carry. But at times I notice that when dealing with people they look at my duty belt to see what I have,and sometimes Im asked the question why dont you have a gun!

·
Registered
70 Posts
i agree that Mt Ida should carry, but from what I have herd they are a division of Pinkerton Security, and that Pinkerton won't let them. Not sure though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lasell carries 9mms, however they have a police dept. Mt. Ida probably should be able to carry. Actually they should be a PD. I know Mt.Ida and Lasell have the same type of students, overall. Rough bunch.

·
MassCops Member
95 Posts
I AGREE WITH DEPUTYDOG522, IF YOU HAVE POLICE PATCH ON YOUR ARM,YOU SHOULD HAVE A FIREARM. PEOPLE ASSUME IF YOU ARE POLICE YOU HAVE A GUN.I WAS IN THE ACADEMY WITH A FEW CAMPUS COPS AND THEY ARE TRAINED LIKE ANY OTHER COP. ALL POLICE SHOULD CARRY.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mt. Ida should have AR-15s at their ready when they host those dances. The problem with MT Ida is when the PD disbanded, the administration went to the private sector. Although a lot of the employes at public safety are trained through the MCJTC in one capacity or another, the administration has some hoops to jump through. MIPS is actually moving forward at a safe pace. They are constantly doing in house training. They just went through medical training and got defib units and such. Smart move before asking for deadly force options. Any person who is uniformed and in the public eye should have force options to rely upon. I used to be on auxiliary in a Boston suburb. We were unarmed and drove marked cruisers identical to fulltimers. Our shirts were light blue as opposed to midnight and the badge was different. We had the auxiliary rocker over the patch. Like someone who wants to assault a police officer is going to stop and ask if you get paid to drive the cruiser, if you have powers, etc. LIABILITY.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As far as firearms, it is not just college communites that have problems. I work as a special now and we carry twelve year old Sig Sauer p220 .45ACP. The small town, Massachusetts politics create problems too. Our PD wants to go to Glocks, possibly down to .40. Although the money was approved recently, a lot of townspeople felt that we did not need to upgrade/replace our weapons, because they could not remember the last time a PO used their weapon in our community. That is like asking a carpenter to go to work without his tape measure, square and saw.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
It's awfully tough doing your job without the proper tools. I honestly think some of these college adminstrators think of the cops as "Mayberry P.D." Sheriff Andy and Barney Fife.
And the visitors/students/violators saying "aw ghee deputy, I'm gosh awful sorry"

Maybe they should look at recent incidents including the campus shooting in Louisiana yesterday. Heads in the sand. If you're a sworn cop w/arrest powers, you need a sidearm.(and the training that goes with it) otherwise, I hope your family sues the President/Board of Trustees/State/etc

We wouldn't send our troops over to Iraq without the right tools. You don't see EPD124 leaving home without his butt-plug.
:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
DeputyDog522,

As im sure you know, California colleges, school cops, etc. all carry weapons. I dont know any Campus Police departments in CA that dont carry firearms. However, the campus cops there do not have powers restricted to their campuses as is common here. But just the same, it is unacceptable at almost all schools there to NOT be armed.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I feel unless your a campus cop in a major urban city. You dont't need a firearm. Why to break up keg parties, or stop kids from skateboarding on sidewalks. If something happens just call the local P.D.

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Originally posted by Gil:
John, was there an incident that lead up to loosing the sidearms? Or is it that the admin didn't like the looks of them?

BTW: Tell "Dog-Chow" Dalton I said hi.
No there have not been any incidents that that led to this very stupid decision. Actually, in Oct of 2001 there was a shooting with two people hit, outside the College after a school sponsored "hip hop" dance. Our officers responded and chased the suspect down Beacon Street. It was about 7 months later that the administration made this decision. You see, over every summer break the former college president would be board and drunk, and decide how to best screw with every different department at the college. I have seen him fire department heads that have dedicated their lives to the college. His family holds the majority or the votes with the board of trustees, so when he decided that we don't need guns anymore the "board of trustees" agreed.

Oh yeah, Gil "dog chow" resigned a couple of weeks ago, but I will tell him you said hello. You will have to tell me why they call him that, send me a PM if you don't want to post it.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.