Carroll Shelby dead at 89: Was legendary racer and designer of Shelby Cobra and the Mustang Shelby G | MassCops

Carroll Shelby dead at 89: Was legendary racer and designer of Shelby Cobra and the Mustang Shelby G

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by kwflatbed, May 13, 2012.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Shelby first made his name behind the wheel of a car, winning Le Mans; he later designed 'muscle cars' that eventually became the Shelby Cobra and the Mustang Shelby GT500.

Comments
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: Saturday, May 12, 2012, 5:20 PM

[​IMG]
    K.M. Cannon/AP

Automotive legend Carroll Shelby poses in front of his Shelby Series 1 sports cars at his plant in Las Vegas in October 2000.
    [​IMG]
    AP

Carroll Shelby in 1964
    DALLAS -- Decades after a heart condition forced him to retire from racing, Carroll Shelby still loved to drive muscle cars. Well into his 80s, the legendary car designer spent hours testing his last Mustang Shelby GT500, which sets a new record for horsepower and hits a top speed of more than 200 miles per hour.
    A one-time chicken farmer, Shelby had more than a half-dozen successful careers during his long life: champion race car driver, racing team owner, automotive consultant and safari tour operator. His fabled Shelby Cobra sports car became an automotive and cultural icon, and he was later credited with injecting testosterone into Ford's Mustang and Chrysler's Viper.
    When Shelby died Thursday night in a Dallas hospital, he also was one of the nation's longest-living heart transplant recipients, having received a heart on June 7, 1990, from a 34-year-old man who died of an aneurysm. Shelby also received a kidney transplant in 1996 from his son, Michael.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/carroll-shelby-dead-89-legendary-racer-car-designer-shelby-cobra-mustang-shelby-gt500-article-1.1077073#ixzz1uhQnmQer

2. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marks72 likes this.
  3. Marks72

Marks72 Appreciative Member

RIP Mr Shelby. An innovator and inspiration to millions. Myself included...

LECSniper likes this.
  4. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

RIP

'67 Shelby GT500 is the best looking car ever made IMO.

5. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

I was lucky enough to have a family friend in VA who had a '68 Shelby Cobra Jet GT 500. That was a dream car and had balls like you read about. Shelby was truly one of the last legends in the auto industry.