Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Should we have Capital Punishment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
308 Posts
Death Penalty

I am all for Capital Punishment. The problem is the people in this state that would be in the position deciding death penalty issues cant even agree on anything without partisian games and posturing. Considering Judges in Mass are notorious for not abiding by jury decisions I dont think you would ever see one person sentenced to die in mass even strapped in for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
Don't forget the smores. :eek:nfire:
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
I see that 4 people voted against the death penalty, I'm curious as to your reasons why you are against it??
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
308 Posts
PBC,

I was one of the people who voted against it. My post explains part of the reason I feel the Death Penalty would never work in Mass. Romney's master plan to make sure there are no flaws would just cost 4 times the amount than just to keep the scum bag in jail for life. If the right people were chosen to administer the death penalty in a cost effective efficient manor I would agree with it, but considering the fact the legislature cant even pass a simple constitutional ammendment that the voters of the state wanted. There is no way I think the same knuckleheads should be allowed to decide if someone lives of dies.
 

·
screw you...
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
BartA1 said:
PBC,
If the right people were chosen to administer the death penalty in a cost effective efficient manor I would agree with it.
Hell, I'll do it for free with my own rounds...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I have heard some different statistics on what would cost the state more money:

-Life sentence
or
-Death penalty

(why would it be more cost effective to hold someone for life than to give them the 3 injections......the appeal process maybe???)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
The Injections cost nothing, it’s the whole process of the courts where the cost runs high. Don't forget each time someone is sentenced to die, there is automatically an appeal process that takes place and it has to make its way to the Supreme Court before execution can take place. The cost alone for the whole court process if far more expensive then to keep someone in jail until they die. The only benefit I guess would be providing another open space in prison.
 

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
Joined
·
3,299 Posts
I think limiting the appeals process to 2 appeals would be sufficient. If the DNA is there in a manner that points to the shitbag - what more can you say? Court costs?? WTF :-s , the Judge gets salary, so does the DA/ADA and most of the shitbirds get appointed Public defenders and they get paid by the case, not the hours - same $$ if it lasts 20 minutes or 5 years. And if they use their own Defense Atty, the bill is on them.

And how much can it cost to inject draino, clorox and rat poison? I'll be more than happy to join the firing line with Deuce :L: ... Hell, the state could sell tickets for "firing line" positions - but I guess it wouldn't be ideal to make the Death penalty profitable :shock: And with the overcrowding in prisons, Cell space is at a premium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
It will never pass here in Mass. The Gov. wants to change and reform prisons and how the inmates are treated one week, now he wants to execute them.
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
BartA1 said:
PBC,
I was one of the people who voted against it. My post explains part of the reason I feel the Death Penalty would never work in Mass. Romney's master plan to make sure there are no flaws would just cost 4 times the amount than just to keep the scum bag in jail for life. If the right people were chosen to administer the death penalty in a cost effective efficient manor I would agree with it, but considering the fact the legislature cant even pass a simple constitutional ammendment that the voters of the state wanted. There is no way I think the same knuckleheads should be allowed to decide if someone lives of dies.
So your not against the death penalty as a whole, just the way Mass would handle it. Fair enough
 

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
Joined
·
3,299 Posts
ejk55 said:
It will never pass here in Mass. The Gov. wants to change and reform prisons and how the inmates are treated one week, now he wants to execute them.
But you know you want to to be the one to throw the switch...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
RPD931 said:
ejk55 said:
It will never pass here in Mass. The Gov. wants to change and reform prisons and how the inmates are treated one week, now he wants to execute them.
But you know you want to to be the one to throw the switch...

I would like to exercise my right to remain silent on this one. :twisted:
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
308 Posts
PBC,

UnfortunatelyThe Commonwealth of Massachusetts has trouble performing simple tasks. I just do not see anyway a Death Penalty statue could work here. I do not know that much about Florida's Criminal Justice System, but here in Mass everyone from a state representative to a septic system cleaner try to get a hand in running things. We have a case right now thats in the news about a pregnant young girl who was stabbed and buried alive by the father of her unborn child and his friend. One defendant was tried and aquitted by a jury and the only juror who would comment said he didnt like the way the mean police detective spoke to the defendant during an interrogation. The defendant admitted being there and said he heard the girl screamng as the dirt was poured on her. So far the only outcome from this case has been an expose in the herald about problems in the Boston Police ID unit, and a picture of a police detective who has been moved from homicide to another assignment. I guess the point of my ranting is that getting a conviction in this sate is tough enough. With the Death Penalty I just think the system in mass would go even farther to the left if that is even possible
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
PJK,

I thought it was interesting that you pointed out the confusing message that is being sent by Romney to us in the corrections field. By hiring this new supposedly inmate friendly Commissioner he is saying one thing, and weeks later is cooking up a plan to begin killing these guys. It's seems that he wants to sit on either side of the extremes.
Personally, I don't vote either strictly Republican or stricly Democrat. I like to think of myself as an independant who votes for the best candidate, so I don't support this bill for partisan reasons. I've never been a fan of the death penalty, because I think it is too fallable. As it stands now, I believe that there is too much room for error. Plus, the cost issue is also a stumbling block for me. I don't really disagree with it, but I think it has it's problems which need to be worked out first, before bringing it back.
 

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
Joined
·
3,299 Posts
PearlOnyx said:
PJK,
Personally, I don't vote either strictly Republican or stricly Democrat. I like to think of myself as an independant who votes for the best candidate, so I don't support this bill for partisan reasons.
I agree, perfect example would be Kerry's continous "flip-flop" decisions...or lack of. I wouldn't mind Clinton back in Office... he put a hell of lot of Cops on the streets... I too am an independant, I like to see who brings what to the table and see if he holds his end of the bargain.... and hope he has the balls to stand up in times neccessary. In today's day and age it is difficult to simply enroll in one politcal Party... thank goodness for "un-enrolled".
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top