Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One man's stolen car was another man's alarm

DENNIS - Police are searching for a man
who crashed through a West Dennis cottage and pushed a sleeping man and his bed outside early this morning.

Around 2:44 a.m., a man allegedly speeding in a stolen Ford Taurus veered off Route 28 at a sharp curve, bumped across a field, ran through a wooden stockade fence at Dennisport Village Cabins and then crashed into the rear of a cottage where a man was sleeping, according to Dennis Police Capt. William Monahan.

The impact drove the bed 20 feet outside the small cottage, and the sleeping man traveled another 50 feet. The suddenly awakened man first thought that somebody was breaking into his house. He heard someone running away. He didn't know what had happened and why he was outside.

The noise was probably the driver, running away after the car emerged from the front of the cottage and hit a parked pickup truck, Monahan said. The car was allegedly stolen in Yarmouth Sunday. The awakened man got a few scrapes and bruises from his nightmarish trip, but declined hospital care.

Later today Yarmouth police said they were looking for Thomas M. Salamone, 40, of South Yarmouth, identified from a surveillance camera at Christy's on Route 28 in West Yarmouth shortly before 2:40 a.m. That was where Yarmouth Officer Scott Lundegren checked the license of the Ford and discovered it was stolen Sunday in West Yarmouth.

As the car and driver headed east on Route 28, Lundegren hit his cruiser's lights and siren to signal the driver to stop. The Taurus sped off, with Lundegren in pursuit. The car was clocked at 75 mph. Near the Dennis town line, its lights went off and its speed increased to 100 mph. The pursuit ended and Dennis police were notified. Before police arrived, the Taurus had crashed and the suspect had left in another stolen car.
Salamone is a white man, 6'2 tall, 302 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes, who was last known to be driving a 1999 four-door stolen green Saturn, with a Massachusetts license plate 1667NL.

His extensive criminal records lists 48 arraignments, Yarmouth police said. Salamone now is wanted for stealing cars, failing to stop for a police officer and many motor vehicle violations.

Anyone with information should contact their local police or the Yarmouth Police Department, 508-775-0445.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rich...no he wasn't working. Even if he was, he wouldn't have been able to keep up with me chasing this guy :D

Nice to hear from you and I'll send you some email directly..

Scott (CapePD)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hit-and-run suspect caught in Plymouth

PLYMOUTH - The man wanted for his alleged role in a hit-and-run accident that destroyed a cottage and sent a sleeping man and his bed flying into a parking lot was arrested last night by state police.

Thomas M. Salamone, 40, of South Yarmouth was taken into custody without incident as he sat in a stolen 1999 Saturn in the parking lot of a CVS on Route 3A in the Cedarville section of Plymouth about 7:30, a state police spokesman said.

The police had received a tip that Salamone was spotted in Sagamore Beach, near the Plymouth town line, and had increased patrols in the area.

Salamone was being held in the Bourne state police barracks last night and will be arraigned this morning in Plymouth District Court on a charge of receiving a stolen motor vehicle. He will also face charges in Barnstable and Orleans district courts on a variety of offenses stemming from Tuesday morning's automotive misadventure.

The police said a stolen car driven by Salamone veered off Route 28 in Dennisport and rammed through a tiny cottage at approximately 2:45 a.m. Tuesday, sending sleeping resident Ellis Tomas and his bed through a wall.

The mattress came to rest under the car, and Tomas lay about 10 feet away clutching his quilt. He suffered only minor injuries.

Salamone allegedly left the scene, ran down the street and broke into a car, where he ate a sandwich he had purchased earlier. Hours later, he stole another car, a 1999 Green Saturn, said acting Dennis Police Chief William Monahan.

An arrest warrant was issued for the 302-pound, 6-foot-2 Salamone on Tuesday. Dennis and Yarmouth police listed charges including hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident, larceny of a motor vehicle and failure to stop for a police officer.

After a receiving a phone call from his attorney, police expected Salamone would turn himself in yesterday. He did not.

"The heat was on," said Yarmouth Police Lt. Steven G. Xiarhos after Salamone's arrest. "That's why we kept it on. This is how it's supposed to happen."

Tuesday's accident was so loud that it woke up nearly all the inhabitants of Dennisport Village Cabins. One came outside to find Tomas in the aftermath of it all.

"I just heard a big explosion and went out to my front door and (Tomas) was standing there in his pajamas," neighbor Rick Butler said. "He said 'I think my house blew up.' He had insulation all over him."

No one was in the car at that point and the cottage was in shambles. Butler ran across the street to where three police cruisers were idling.

"It was amazing," Butler said. "I don't know how he survived."

Butler had him take a shower, gave him clothes and let him stay on the couch.

"He said every night since he moved in he had nightmares of a car coming through," Butler said. "I haven't seen him since."

Miraculously, Tomas was bruised and scraped but otherwise OK.

"He was very, very, very lucky and he knows it," Monahan said.

Michelle Pinney of Dennisport, owner of the stolen Saturn, also felt lucky last night. State police said the vehicle appeared to be in good shape.

"This is awesome," said Pinney. "My car just disappeared."

:lol: I find it amusing that he had to stop to eat a sandwich. Good job by catching him.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahaha

Yea...at...6'2" 309lbs. I guess you have to set your priorities. Hard to pass up a large sub, late at night, I guess :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts