Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im not in law enforcement yet but I looking for some oportunities to work for a pd on the cape next summer. I had heard form some of my friends who are officers that the cape hires criminal justice students for summer help. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for me on what departments to look into and what to ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's not that easy! They will not hire you just because your a Criminal Justice student. If they did I would have done that a LONG time ago. You at least need the Basic Reserve Intermittent Academy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess what im looking for any suggestions on where to look for a job in the law enforcement field next summer, I have a feeling that since Romney signed that new law I wont be able to be hired in most of these places since im only 20. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Also if anybody knows anything about Nantuckets summer officers I would appreciate that too.

·
1,334 Posts
First thing you need to do is go to the Reserve/Intermitant Academy. Depending on what academy location it is held at, it could be two or three nights a week or Saturdays. They usually offer them in the fall and spring, so the sooner the better because the Cape departments start advertising for summer officers around the first of the year. Check out the Municipal Police Training Committee's website for the training schedule.

Also, if you want to get some basic experience and establish yourself in this field, get a job dispatching, apply to an auxillary force. Anything to build that resume and work up the ladder. Don't get discouraged, it doesn't happen overnight either.

·
1,952 Posts
hockeyguy";p="69998 said:
Well I guess what im looking for any suggestions on where to look for a job in the law enforcement field next summer, I have a feeling that since Romney signed that new law I wont be able to be hired in most of these places since im only 20. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Also if anybody knows anything about Nantuckets summer officers I would appreciate that too.
Here is an excerpt from a NU student's experience there.

Last June, when I arrived in Nantucket, I went through two weeks of comprehensive training that included First Responder Training
and CPR, Massachusetts Criminal Law, Nantucket Town By-Laws, Self-Defense, physical training, and specialized training in "All-
Terrain Vehicle" patrol. My duties consisted of patrolling the beaches of Nantucket to make sure that vehicles had the proper permits,
assisting lifeguards with rescues, checking speed violations or any other illegal activities, and providing medical attention until the
Nantucket Fire Department could arrive on the scene.
I'll see if I can get a job description from my advisor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.