[NOTICE] - Canine Ifluenza | MassCops

[NOTICE] Canine Ifluenza

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by Sam1974, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Sam1974

Sam1974 MassCops Member

Hi Everyone...

Those of you who have dogs.. Please read this and consult your vet about it. It is important that everyone be informed as it is not exactly public knowledge as of yet. There have been some news coverage regarding it but not much is known to the public.

Most of you know that I work in the field of canines.. I am always informed about the goins on in the world of dogs. This is a serious issue and I don't mean to scare anyone about the health of your dogs but would like to make you aware of it.

The Canine Influenza Virus (H3N8 ) has finally made it's way to Mass. It has been working it's way up the eastern US since 2004. It was discovered when it whiped out an entire kennel of Greyhounds in Florida in 2004. It has become an epidemic down there and now it's here.

Every dog who is exposed to the virus will contract it. Since it's relatively new, none of our companions have built up any kind of immunity against it. The scariest part about it is that dogs who become infected do not show signs of the virus until 4-7 days later. In the meantime, that dog is severely contageous.

The H3N8 virus will stay on YOUR hands for 12 hours, clothing for 24 and any other surface that the dog touches, with it's mouth, for 48 hours. This is why it has spread so much. Until 2 weeks ago, there was only 1 confirmed case of it in Mass. Now that number has climbed to 11. I witnessed first hand today, how deadly this virus is.

It is commonly misdiagnosed as Kennel Cough, Parainfluenza, and Pnuemonia. The reason why is because the symptoms mimic those common respiratory problems.

There is a vaccine available. It is a serious of 2 shots. One given and 2-4 weeks later, the second set is given. Most vets are not carrying the vaccine as of yet, but there are a few in Mass.

This Flu is not a joke and it is highly deadly to the dog. The Tider test can be done but it takes approximately 48 hours for the results to come back. In the meantime, I've witnessed 2 dogs crash seriously and be put on ventilators in order for them to breath. Both dogs have since passed away. One was yesterday and the other today.

Here is the link to the AVMA website with more information on the virus and vaccine.

Canine Influenza Backgrounder

Please, just be careful where you take your dog and limit dog park, play date interractions until you vaccinate. All of my dogs are being vaccinated tomorrow (first round). Any dog that I come in contact with, from this point forward, will need to show me proof of vaccination along with distemper and rabies. It is something that most kennels and doggy day care facilities are going to start requiring as well. IF you are traveling for the holidays or for vacation and plan on taking your pups, it would be wise to vaccinate as well. Unvaccinated dogs who travel will either come down with the disease OR bring it back to Mass and infect others.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me or post in this thread.

Stay safe out there!!!!

2. Sam1974

Sam1974 MassCops Member

Re: ***Canine Ifluenza*** Please Read

First round for my dogs are complete..

2 more cases confirmed in Mass as of 9am this morning.

This is an epidemic.. please do what you can to keep your best friend safe..
    It cost me $80.27 for 3 dogs... Not a bad investment to ensure that my dogs don't die because of something that can be easily prevented.

3. Simon

Simon Guest

My GSD was diagnosed with a stomache bug or flu this past week. She's been back three times........... Her nose was hot to the touch on Wed night and the Vet, who I COMPLETELY trust, said the cool wet nose is an old wive's take......... I may take her for a second opinion somewhere else just to be sure. UGH

4. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

Thanks Sam

5. Sam1974

Sam1974 MassCops Member

The hot nose thing is an old wives tale. the only way to take a dogs temp is up it's butt..lol

listen, call your vet and talk to them about the Canine Flu...

It is very commonly misdiagnosed as other respiratory ailments.

YOU NEED TO QUARANTEEN your dog for 2 weeks until you know for sure.
    The test can be done but it will take 2 days to get back. If your dog has it, you need to make sure you are not in contact with any other dogs since you can carry it on your person for 24 hours.

Sniper, I hope your pup doesn't have it but if she does, she will be sick for a couple of months.

Is she coughing at all or wheezing? Vomiting? Diarrea? Nasal discharge and watery eyes?

Please keep me posted on how she is. This is seriously scary stuff. My thoughts are with your pup.

6. Simon

Simon Guest

watery eyes and fluid in her ears......... the doc claimed she has diarrea but my yard doesnt show the evidence..........

7. Sam1974

Sam1974 MassCops Member

Sorry snipe.. percentage is high she has it.

think back to a month ago, if you can and try and remember what dogs you or your dog has come in contact with. If you know any owners, you may want to let them know she's been sick. It sounds horrible but i wish there had been more news coverage or awareness raised about this. Just about everyone i've been talking to hasn't heard of this virus or read/learned anything about it. I'm the one educating people on it.. I posted it on my facebook.. its scary and i hope my friends take it seriously.. i know a few have already gotten vaccinated but so many others are gambling with fire...

Good luck

8. cmagryan

cmagryan Subscribing Member

- Thanks for the info, Sam ...

- Snipe - hope your pup bounces back quickly (fingers x'd!).

9. AOfficer2009

AOfficer2009 MassCops Member

Thanks Sam. My dog usually doesn't have any interaction with any other dogs, so she should be fine, correct?

10. kttref

kttref New Member

Any cases in CT that you know of Sam?

11. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

A friend I work with just told me about his dog with watery eyes and puking and he was at a dog park around a week ago. I forwarded the info and he is at the vet this morning.

12. Simon

Simon Guest

My vet claims to have no knowledge of this ..........

13. Sam1974

Sam1974 MassCops Member

NO your dog is not going to be fine.

THe virus stays on your hands for 12 hours, your clothing for 24 hours and every other thing for 48. Even if your dog doesn't come in contact with other dogs (which i am not understanding why that is the case), you can carry it back to your dog. No matter what you do, you will put your dog at risk. Say you are holding your keys and you touch something an infected dog touched. It is on your hands and on your keys. You climb into your vehicle and now it's on anything you touch in your vehicle and will stay there for 48 hours. Once you get home, you wash your hands and now it's on anything you touched, including the door, the sink faucet and still your keys. You pick up your keys and say goodbye to your dog and pet them.. NOW your dog is infected.

The scary thing is you can't look at a dog and know it's infected. It doesn't show symptoms during it's infectious stage. 4-7 days after a dog is infected before the symptoms start.

DO NOT take the chance. Get your dog vaccinated.

Yes, Kate.. it has made it's way up from florida and there are confirmed cases in every state. RIght now, mass is up to 17... I can check on the numbers for CT if you would like.

Please don't play with fire. IF your dog is infected, you can spread the virus just by touching your dog and touching things as you are out on errands or what not.

Keep that in mind. IF you choose not to vaccinate, you are playing with fire..

Find a new vet. Obviously they aren't keeping up on current problems.

Ask your vet if they know that cats can get the swine flu. If they say no.. definitely find a new vet, one who does read the medical journals and is always up to date on new happenings in the animal world.

It's scientifically proven that you can pass swine flu off to your cat.

http://www.avma.org/ The AVMA website.. Swine Flu info is on the front page...

14. kttref

kttref New Member

My dog doesn't play with others....I think I'll skip it this year....

15. Simon

Simon Guest

You and your dog have alot in common !!!!!!

16. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

Sam,

Thanks for the info. I asked my vet and he told me that he doesn't recommend the vaccine because it is so new, and has not been tested enough. Anyone else heard of this?

17. kttref

kttref New Member

I play with others.....just not you :beat:

18. Sam1974

Sam1974 MassCops Member

nope, my vet highly recommends it. I have made my clients get the vaccine. The more dogs vaccinated, the smaller the epidemic will become.
    The testing of the vaccine has been tollerated in 99% of the dogs who have taken it. It is a dead virus that they are injecting, not a live one like the human flu vaccine. The tollerance is that much higher since it is not a live virus.

Like i said, those who choose not to vaccinate are going to find themselves with a couple thousand in vet bills if their dog contracts the virus compared to $50 for the vaccine.

Please err on the side of caution and vaccinate. One of my client's dogs has contracted it. It was a dog that I came in contact with last week, during it's contageous stage. THank god i have enough of a brain to shower upon entering the house and not touching anything that i can't easily spray down with Lysol. My clothes go into a trash bag in the back of my truck and right into the laundry room, thrown into the washer where contamination is contained. Hot water washing with a disenfectant will take care of the germs.

My pomeranian will DIE if he contracts this flu. He has a compromised immune system from his bout with Pneumonia in June. That is why i'm telling people to vaccinate. If my dog dies because of someone else's stupidity, i am going to be a very angry person.. Especially if i've already discussed the virus with them.

Like I've said, your dog DOES NOT need to come in contact with a contaminated dog to get it. YOU Can carry it home to them. Just like the human flu....