Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I was wondering if someone could put some light on a mass license plate given a CAPR status. I was doing my departments confiscated and lost license plate collection inventory. It was a slow day here Saturday so I ran all of them through CJIS I found most of them were confiscated for revoked insurance ect.... fine understood. Two of the plates which were probably found on the street somewhere had a status of CAPR??? how can that be so when I physically have the plate in my hand. One of the plates were a commercial plate that had two statuses CAPR from Ford leasing company and the same plate# is currently Active on another vehicle out of Stoughton. I thought once the plate got CAPR status the number was not used again. What are the requirements for the registry to categorize the plate as CAPR.

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts
Two of the plates which were probably found on the street somewhere had a status of CAPR???
Was there only 1 plate or did you have both? I am guessing that you probabally only had one. The owner likely turned in the other plate out of fear that someone had stolen the one you had and was going to use it illegally. They then applied for a new registration plate.
One of the plates were a commercial plate that had two statuses CAPR from Ford leasing company and the same plate# is currently Active on another vehicle out of Stoughton.
Sometimes on non PAN (passenger normal) plates (ie PAV, PAR, AHN, CON, etc) the number will be re-issued. I have PAR (passenger reserved) low number plate on my PC. When my plate is run, I get about 3 pages of listings, showing 3 different owners, dating back to the early 80s.
I also have a motorhome with camper plates (AHN). If you run the plate 12345 (for example) as an AHN (autohome), you get my active camper listing. If you run it as CON, you get another active listing to a commercial vehicle, if run as a PAN, another active listing.
I thought once the plate got CAPR status the number was not used again
Maybe on general PAN plates, but not on all other types
What are the requirements for the registry to categorize the plate as CAPR.
I believe that as long as they get one back, it becomes CAPR

I hope this helps

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bige86,
Yes I only had one plate. Like you said they were probably issues two plates and turn one into the registry and got the CAPR status. I knew when the registry decided to issue two plates it was going to be a cluster [email protected]#K. What the RMV should have is a CAPR/LOST status for when only one plate is turned in. Personally I feel the RMV should have stayed with the issuing of one plate. The commercial plate was issued to the first owner 2001 and the current owner in 2004 so your reissue plate scenario is probably correct. Thanks for the information

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts
Ed, you left-lane bandit, aren't you a little young to own a motorhome?
Come on!, I am knocking on 30's door :cry:
I bought the "shaggin wagon" 6 years ago. It makes for a fun ride to Patriots games, Montreal, Woodstock '99 (I'l show you the pics someday), Foxwoods, and the occasional treck to Providence to visit Mo Vaughn's favorite establishment. :twisted:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts