Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can you hear me now ???? VS..

4K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  Officer Dunngeon 
#1 ·
Can you hear me now ???? VS.. the Cell Phone Thread

OK gang What Cell Phone company are you with ?
Verizon Wireless Here!
Post your Cell Phone Company Here:

Verizon Wireless added 1.9 million net new customers. Excluding acquisitions, this is the largest quarterly customer increase in the history of the wireless industry. Wireless has added 6.9 million net new customers over the past 12 months and now has a total of 47.4 million customers nationwide

#9 ·
Nextel.

It's a little pricier than other plans, but for the direct connect (as most of the other guys have it), it's worth it for me.

I've had good luck with the signal...better than Voicestream/T-Mobile (which was HORRIBLE when I had it; the fact that the crappy Nokia phone didn't have an external antenna didn't help at all, either).

#10 ·
nextel and verizon. i am ditching verizon as soon as i can come up w/ the extra $200 EARLY CANCELLATION FEE. the wife and i are on a family plan w/ verizon, i think i get better clarity and signal w/ nextel down here in VA, me my wife and i can hardly hear each other about 40% of the damn time. but nextel's text messaging licks the sweat of a dead mans balls. but the gps and DC is great.

#12 ·
Sprint here on Family Plan with Wife. Get 23% business discount/month with unlimited web access/text messaging. Best part is that Sprint is the only company with signal in our town! Our contract is up in October and I expect to get an even better deal to sign on for another 2 years.

I've had Verizon for >5 years, no discounts, no rebates on phones, and no signal in town! Verizon also did something that I really didn't appreciate . . . they "rolled over" my contract each year automatically, thus always put us in an ETF mode if we wanted to drop the contract.

Similar with Cingular (very early on) and later AT&T.

#15 ·
What's worse than people alerting rather than chirping (bleeping as I call it) is when they start talking right away on the first bleep!!! DAMN that's annoying. I'll be at work, asleep, in the car, whatever, and I'll hear "yap yap yappity yap" and there's someone blabbing over my damn phone!! Stupid people, learn some Nextel etiquette!

#16 ·
Ditto on the Nextel. I only have it to DC everyone when using the radio would be less than proper, otherwise I'd chuck the the thing off a high building. As for people alerting before chirping, I put the alert volume to 0 and set it to de-alert after 1 minute. Eventually people realize that that won't work anymore.

#19 ·
Nextel for now. Besides the three-thirty in the afternoon wake-up alerts, what drives me nuts is when someone DCs you and then talks, and talks, and keeps talking. There's no way to interupt him, I can't change modes while he's talking and the only thing I can do is wait him out or turn off the phone... and its ALWAYS at the absolute worst moment he could beep me at. I used to have sprint back in the late 90's... like everyone else, I switched to use the direct connect feature.

#20 ·
badogg88";p="69997 said:
What's worse than people alerting rather than chirping (bleeping as I call it) is when they start talking right away on the first bleep!!! DAMN that's annoying. I'll be at work, asleep, in the car, whatever, and I'll hear "yap yap yappity yap" and there's someone blabbing over my damn phone!! Stupid people, learn some Nextel etiquette!
yep, nothing like being at the parents house and the NEXTEL shouts out "Hey, you F'ing whore! What the hell are you doing?" :? Will probably go with Cingular soon.

G
#22 ·
The comments about DC alerts, chirping, or chirp and right into talking are so true. That seems to be something exclusive to POs and COs. My civilian friends use DC during my normal wake period. PO/COs think if they are up, you are up. I am guilty of it too.

#23 ·
USMCMP5811";p="69970 said:
NEXTEL here, although the signal does suck in a lot of places, the dirrect connect saves me ton's of cake........ the only thing that realy is annoying about NEXTEL for me is when someone alerts me first rather than chirping me :evil: I work nights people, when you alert me at 2, 3pm I'm sleeping!!!!! :evil: if I'm awake, I'll answer you when you chirp me.
Nextel here as well and I couldn't agree with you more. As for alerting, don't bother with it. A single chirp will wake me up, even if I've worked a double and have another double coming up.

As for the signal, I have pretty good luck with it, unless I'm in a building (too much brick and cement). There are the occasional spots on the roads where the service sucks, but it's the same thing with my wife's XM radio signal, too many trees is usually the cause. Also the service is getting better up north. I was able to use it up in central VT back in September and I can use it all the way up to Augusta, ME. Service used to stop in the Freeport area.

#26 ·
I had a Nextel flip-brick "squawky-talkie" in a previous job. DC worked OK even in areas where cell signal was very poor, but between people stepping on one another and the 20# spring on the DC button (would make our AG proud . . . it's all for safety :evil: ), I hated the thing.

Now I have two questions for those that love Nextel for their DC:

- With most folks getting plans that allow them to call unlimited to those on the same service, what makes DC such a big deal?

- With each of the major players (Verizon, Cingular and Sprint) offering their own version of DC, what makes the Nextel version so special? [Nextel was the first one with DC, but I suspect that technology has caught up and perhaps passed them by.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.