Can I ask for leniency on my speeding ticket | MassCops

Can I ask for leniency on my speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Tickets & Citations' started by livinglife, Jun 21, 2017.

1. livinglife

livinglife New Member

I got a speeding ticket. The officer was actually nice for giving me a 80 mph in 65 zone.
    He mentions in the ticket that Lidar /estimated was 89 mph. I really thought I was going at 80 at that time, was absent minded; going through family issues unfortunately.

I have previous tickets when I was young at 23 (and got 2 tickets at that time, pretty much back to back within a month). After that, I have been clean for 5-6 years (With only minor warning e.g. license plate screw loose, one of the break lights not working at night). I am 30 now.

However on the citation, there seems to be really no way , to admit guilt and at the same time ask for leniency.
    I am afraid, asking for court appearance gives the impression of appealing "not guilty" and wastes the courts valuable time.

The insurance premiums are just horrendous and I believe I will get a 2 sdip point cut. Because , I didn't get a license at 16 (couldn't afford a car till 23, so never really applied for it until then), my premiums are actually high even with 5-4 years of driving experience. I am seeking to see whether I can somehow get a lower sdip point cut/leniency in this case. Long shot, but any advise in the matter would be appreciated.

2. Fuzzywuzzy

Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

You got cited for 80 instead of 89.

You already got your leniency. But you want more.

You are an example of why there are cops who don't give any kind of breaks, at all, at any time.

Joel98, Kilvinsky and Ghost12345 like this.
  3. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Trust me, your not hurting anyone's feelings by appealing it, and asking for leniency. Always worth the shot. If your honest and tell the magistrate you were speeding, your just asking for a break, more often than not you will get what your looking for.

PGH3477, PBC FL Cop, Joel98 and 2 others like this.
  4. livinglife

livinglife New Member

Thanks. Does mass allow for going to traffic school to cut off points? I am mostly looking for leniency in terms of sdip points. I am new to mass and seems like there is really no way to cut short the sdip points..

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Nope. But do as stated. Appeal it and beg for mercy. The odds are in your favor. Just don't go in with a bunch of excuses.

6. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

When you got your ticket was the officer wearing his hat?

PGH3477 likes this.
  7. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

Be honest. Go to court and explain to the judge that you are an Uber driver and didn't understand the speed limit signs because you only speak Spanish.
    The only place this doesn't work is Florida (and maybe one small town in Vermont)

PBC FL Cop and Kilvinsky like this.
  8. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

NO, no no, Spanish is slowly decaying as an excuse. Say you only speak some obscure language like Uzbek and the numbers in your country do not coincide with the filth used by you decadent westerners. Make sure you say how, under the oppressive Soviet regime of old, you were beaten by police on a regular basis and hence, when you saw the law officer, you fled out of pre-conditioning and Uber was the ONLY One who stood by you through this trying time. Beg for a second chance and then DEMAND that your lawyer be paid for by the government who coerced you into this situation in the first place. NEVER, EVER say why, if things are so bad here, you STAY as opposed to going back to Uzbekistan. Mumble a lot if that comes up.

Goose likes this.