Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just curious to see how well a relationship their is between Campus Police agencies and the city police departments. I also welcome responses from Hospital Police Departments. Thanks :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
It all depends on who the officer is here at Dean. Most of the Franklin guys are really cool. I work the over night so my interaction with Officers not working midnights are limited. I can say this when ever we call them for help they are Johnny on the spot. We did have some wingnuts that use to work here so we are still trying to get out from under that cloud but all in all I think the relationship is very good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also welcome responses from Hospital Police Departments.
Here at the NEMC we have a good working relationship with the BPD Area A-1 officers. We only call them when we need a wagon, or when we have some information that they might want. We work together very well when an incident occurs that brings us together. In fact early Saturday morning, (2:45) there were several shots fired inside our parking garage. One of our Sgt's observed the suspect vehicle attempting to exit the garage. The BPD detail officer from the Roxy took the occupants out at gunpoint in the garage. Being alone, and only having one set of cuffs, he requested our that our Sergeant assist. The Sgt. placed handcuffs on one suspect, as did the BPD officer. The third suspect fled on foot and was caught by the wagon crew on Washington Street. Upon looking through the drivers window of the car, our Sgt. observed a spent shell casing on the drivers seat. During the subsequent search, the BPD officer, and our our Sgt. located 1 gun each secreted inside the vehicle. All of the occupants were placed under arrest, and transported for booking. At least one of the guns was confirmed to be stolen.

(the information posted here was taken directly from the BPD 1-1 report.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
as far as the BI hospital, we have booked several persons at b-2, I have been down there 3 times and everyone inside the station was respectful.

other than that we have not had any other interaction on the property with bpd.

overall expierence with b-2 on my shift

:thumbup:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
FT: At MGH we have a pretty good relationship with BPD. They're pretty respectful. We pretty much only call them for informational purposes. We handle our own transports and often have more guys on duty than all of A-1. My only negtive feedback, is the very few times we've called them, their response time SUCKS. And like every PD they have some guys that lack the desire to even be a cop and a few that lack common sense. MSP Lower Basin guys are pretty good too... with the exception of the occasional moody Trooper :shock: ("Did I just say that?!")

PT: At Regis College we have a excellent relationship with Weston PD. Very friendly and easy to work with.... of course working side by side in a 300+ person disturbance helped the bond too. :wink:

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
MGH Transports? I thought a BPD unit was required to do all prisoner transports?

·
Registered
160 Posts
MGH Transports? I thought a BPD unit was required to do all prisoner transports?
NEMC transports as well on occasion. We have a cruiser with a cage, and when the wagon is tied up and they have no service cars available, we can request permission from the BPD supervisor to transport to A-1. We dont usually have to on the day shift because we are friendly with several BPD guys in our area, and they speed up the process when we need a wagon. To answer the question though, Rule 400 Boston Special Officers must call 911 and request a BPD transport. SPO's, Sheriff's, etc. are not required to have BPD transport as a rule, however, I believe that each Area commander has their own preference. A-1 would like departments to use a wagon, but as needed, we can transport.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey RPD931. Do the troopers to take prisoners from the MGH police department. and if so. Does the MGH police department have to pick up their prisoner and drive them to BMC or do the troopers provide the service

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
Wentworth has a decent relationship with the Boston Police, Housing Police, MBTA Police and State Police and local colleges and universities. There must be 8-10 Police agencies that patrol the area we work in. You get to know the guys that work your shift on each department and you help each other out.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
MGH ALWAYS does their own transports. We don't need permission. Probably because we are Campus PD (Officers are State Specials, NOT Boston Spec.). The rare exception would be a highly combative subject, then we'd call for a wagon. The fact that A-1 is only about 1 mile from MGH helps too -- Up 3 sets of lights and a Left...lol

We can bring our prisoners to the Barracks but that requires us to feed them and check on them EVERY 30 minutes. MSP will not service or take care of OUR prisoners. So, we Don't do that, we dump them off with BPD :twisted:

BPD takes them to court. Not a bad deal. :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RPD 931 thanks for the information you helped out alot. Since your PD is close to mine I wanted to know about other possible options about where to take prisoners. Looks like BPD A-1 and D-4 are the two best options.

·
Registered
160 Posts
MGH ALWAYS does their own transports.
It helps that MGH also has 5 times the number of officers working on the shift. If we lose 2 officers for booking, we could be down as much as a third of our shift until they clear the station. It often makes much more sense for us to have them transport, and send only the arresting officer to the station for booking.

We don't need permission. Probably because we are Campus PD (Officers are State Specials, NOT Boston Spec.).
We are not Boston Specials either, so by asking for permission, Im refering to calling them prior to our arrival to advise them that we are dragging OUR prisoners through THEIR back door.

The rare exception would be a highly combative subject, then we'd call for a wagon.
Unfortunately, this is not so rare for us...lots of combatants... :evil:

RPD931...check your PM's

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
csauce30 said:
MGH ALWAYS does their own transports.
It helps that MGH also has 5 times the number of officers working on the shift. If we lose 2 officers for booking, we could be down as much as a third of our shift until they clear the station. It often makes much more sense for us to have them transport, and send only the arresting officer to the station for booking.
How many do you have on per shift? (you can PM me if you rather)

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Heres a quick question .. I know MGH has both "suits" and uniformed people.. are the suits SSPO's or just the uniformed guys??

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
They are both. The uniformed officers just work the perimeter. The guys in suits work the inside of the hospital. Most of the officers in uniform are SSPO's (some exceptions though, huh RPD931?). But there are officers in suits that are also SSPO's.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Hospital campus thread. Interesting..................

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
I think it's based on the professionalism of both departments. If Boston or any city department sees you trained as thier equals, then you get their respect. They also base it on how much assistance you require to do the job. If they have to come down for every little thing, then they have a problem. If it's for transport or assistance, then I think most have no problems. Of course you'll get one everyonce in a while that thinks your stealing the money out of his pocket and taking food off his table. But I think now a days, officers from everywhere knows the only friends they have is each other, cops help cops.

For the record, even though we are not a campus Police, but a federal agency, The JP division gets along great with Dist 13 officers, some officers have close friendships with each other and that helps. And we are in the area around our perimiter if they needed someone to watch thier back. Our Brockton division also has a close relationship witb Brockton Police and are dispatched by Brockton Police to calls around the perimiter to save them time..

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
We do well with Brockton and East Bridgewater P.D.'s. Canton P.D. is hit or miss it seems. BPD usually charges in like the cavalry when we ask, and has no qualms about asking us to help them out.
:thumbup:
We do details in Abington, Brockton, E.B., Rockland, and other surrounding towns.

BSC PD does details in the area as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I worked at Westfield State College we had a very good working parternship with both the City police and the Local Baracks(Russell). For the most part would take our prisoners to Westfield City's lockup. WPD was always very helpful and usually had room for a guest or two. On the rear instance that they didn't have room we would usually call the Barracks and they usually had room. For Westfield we would provide a Student Security Monitor to watch the prisoner. With the barracks sometimes an officer would have to watch the prisoner sometimes a student security officer could watch.

As far as calling for backup they always were helpful and would respond if possible their were a few times were we needed help from both to quiet the kids down and was thankful one one or two times that they came as fast as they did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.