Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
Used to work for a private Medical Center in Boston and, when we had a fire alarm at one of the buildings, the BFD always had to back the rig out when leaving. Thus, myself and the BFD guys would go out and stop traffic both ways to allow for the truck to exit. (we were cross sworn as Suffolk Deputies as well so we could coceivably go on the street even thought we always stuck to our property) On more than one occasion, I got some snide comments from a few BPD cars that happened to be going by; such as "Get off my street" etc. I always took it with a grain of salt as maybe they thought I was on a detail or something. With that said, if I saw something or someone that needed help, I always at least made sure I was in the area. Most times, a simple head nod or thumbs up and I was on my way.........

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,339 Posts
I know for a fact that a police cruiser can easily breach a chain-link fence in an emergency, with little damage to the cruiser other than scratches on the paint.

The fence doesn't fare nearly as well.
How about wrought iron? We've had a few vehicles go through and there was more than a few scratches. I watched a small Asian man crawl out of his back window one morning and then stand there as if nothing had happened as the car lay on it's roof.

I will always stop nearby and hang out cuz it's what I would want anybody to do for me.
I've done that on numerous occassions as well for the very reasons you cite and on a couple of occassions (ONLY A COUPLE) I've had guys bitch that I was just there for the show. "Oh, what you want to sit and watch?" Crap shoot is exactly right but I'll take the criticism like a man knowing I'm obviously more concerned with that clown's safety than he is.

·
18,339 Posts
Never tried that, but if a wrought iron fence separates me and a cop in trouble......RAMMING SPEED!!!!!
There was a spot not too far away where I could have wriggled underneath (Yeah, even ME!) so I had that (and always DO) in mind.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
You don't want to step on toes or distract the officer from what he/she is doing. I will always stop nearby and hang out cuz it's what I would want anybody to do for me.
I remember being respectfully waived off by a younger Officer on a MV stop occupied by atleast a few from what I was able to see through the heavily tinted windows. Not wanting to step on toes but feeling that the young Officer should have backup for this stop I decided to wait in the periphery while the Officer did his thing. Long story short, driver ended up having numerous felonies in his BOP, an outstanding warrant, a bag of weed was in the passanger compartment, (remember when that was illegal), 2 shot guns were in the trunk, all 5 were arrested, additional weed and several knives were recovered from the suspects, and the young Officer was very appreciative that I stuck around. I also ended up getting some decent court time but that's not what it's all about.

·
18,339 Posts
I think I mentioned this before. I monitor a Housing PD request for assistance in Brigham Circle. I swing by and pull up on the opposite side of the street and call out, "I'll stick around until the Cavalry arrives." One guy calls out, "Could you cover them while we take them out of the car?"

At that moment I get hit in the brainstem that this is a real felony stop and the cop who called out to me has his gun drawn down on the driver and his partner is easing another guy out of the car while at least two others sit tight. "YUP, YOU GOT IT!"

Ran over and did just what was asked all the time thinking, "Did I look stupid just then or what?" They were still glad I showed up and no doubt once THEY realized what I had said, either got a good laugh, or thought, "Dear Jesus, don't let THAT putz show up again unless he's wide awake or smart or both."

Reactions: Goose and mpd61

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a NSCC PO, in a marked cruiser, slowly drive by me on Rt 1/Ferncroft, Danvers as I was starting to frisk a guy. He must have missed the class on never drive by a LEO without making sure all is well. That was my first encounter & impression of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I think a lot of officers especially in the campus world of LE dont stop because people are used to the fact troopers look down on us...I do personally stop but troopers are not known for there welcoming of other LEO's

G

·
I think a lot of officers especially in the campus world of LE dont stop because people are used to the fact troopers look down on us...I do personally stop but troopers are not known for there welcoming of other LEO's
Not all of us. Mainly the ones that never held another job or just legally started drinking when they got on. Also, MSP doesn't have a monopoly on attitude.
Even so, stop. I've received plenty of attitude. But I'd rather leave knowing the ass is alive at the end of the day. He's still a brother in blue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

G

·
I remember being respectfully waived off by a younger Officer on a MV stop occupied by atleast a few from what I was able to see through the heavily tinted windows. Not wanting to step on toes but feeling that the young Officer should have backup for this stop I decided to wait in the periphery while the Officer did his thing. Long story short, driver ended up having numerous felonies in his BOP, an outstanding warrant, a bag of weed was in the passanger compartment, (remember when that was illegal), 2 shot guns were in the trunk, all 5 were arrested, additional weed and several knives were recovered from the suspects, and the young Officer was very appreciative that I stuck around. I also ended up getting some decent court time but that's not what it's all about.
TX Constable Darrell Lunsford was shot and killed with his own weapon during a traffic stop. I went to a Street Survival seminar years ago, and those instructors are not known for pulling punches; they said that Lunsford was an asshole who got furious when other LEO's stopped to assist him.

In the unedited dash cam video of the stop, you can clearly see him get aggravated and arrogantly wave-off a sheriff's deputy who stopped to assist him. The scumbags who killed him later told investigators that they wouldn't have jumped him if a second officer was present.

That worked out well for him, didn't it?

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
I remember that being called "Tombstone Courage", I know I'll take all the help I'm offered. And I'll gladly lend a hand, everyone loves away games. All the fun, none of the paperwork.

G

·
Not all of us. Mainly the ones that never held another job or just legally started drinking when they got on. Also, MSP doesn't have a monopoly on attitude.
Even so, stop. I've received plenty of attitude. But I'd rather leave knowing the ass is alive at the end of the day. He's still a brother in blue.
I've never once had any police cruiser pass by me on a traffic stop without them stopping to check if I was okay, and likewise. Even on road trips to pick up a prisoner where they're in the back seat, I'll stop if I see a single cruiser on a stop, just to check in. If they want to give me an attitude, then so be it.......like you said, at least they're alive to give it.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
Anyone in Campus LE using that as an excuse is doing a dis service to the profession and the Officers that he/she is too insecure to assist.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
had a NSCC PO, in a marked cruiser, slowly drive by me on Rt 1/Ferncroft, Danvers as I was starting to frisk a guy. He must have missed the class on never drive by a LEO without making sure all is well. That was my first encounter & impression of them.

I always slow down and observe, on or off duty. Courtesy goes two ways, and the guy that lets you off on the 75 in a 65 does it with the expectation that when he is getting his eggs scrambled on the side of the road you will stop and help, always. If they want to give attitude, so what, I still will sleep well. Just make sure if you stop off duty you ID yourself in an obvious manner. I keep an old raid jacket in my car just for that reason.

·
Subscribing Member
3,386 Posts
I just finished reading everyone's comments and can't believe the amount of times "gave me an attitude" is mentioned when an officer from a different agency slows down to see if an officer is ok. I mean, What the heck?

This amazes me. Why would anyone give anyone else an attitude if they're checking on your safety. Is this not a brotherhood? A cop is a cop. We all might work for a different department but when it comes down to it, we're all cops, regardless of who we work for.

I belong to the third biggest police department in the country but if someone from the smallest department in the country, be they municiple, state, or campus, stops to see if I'm ok, I along with everyone on my department, would welcome it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts