Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

The BPA -HATES- Campus Police and has always done everything in it's power to fight against Campus Police Departments, their officers and their authority. They even proposed bills that would limit campus police officers powers on their own campuses...

Now we read that two of the city of Boston's councilors want the Campus Police to patrol off campus to help the Boston cops deal with students living off-campus. Even Captain William Evans, commander of District 14, said he would welcome a deeper
partnership with area universities as long as campus police worked
alongside Boston police officers.

That's what Campus Police have said all along. We want to work _with_ you, not instead of you when things that effect the campus happen off campus.

Read the below article for yourself.

Work safe,

----- Begin Quote ---

Ordinance aims to aid police in keeping track of off-campus students
By Heather Allen, Globe Correspondent | September 8, 2004

Seeking to prevent a repeat of the student rioting that disrupted the
city following the Patriots' Super Bowl victory in February, two city
councilors have proposed an ordinance that would require universities
in Boston to provide authorities with the contact information of
students who live off campus.

City Councilors Michael Ross and Jerry McDermott said that their
proposal, if adopted, would allow the city to preempt raucous
behavior in neighborhoods where many students live, and force
universities to take responsibility for students living off campus.

"The point of this entire legislation is to create some
accountability with the university, so that if you're going to bring
a student into the city of Boston, you're going to prepare them,
you're going to take responsibility for them, you're going to create
some accountability for your student that you bring into the city,"
Ross said. "So if there's a party down the road it's not just, 'Yeah,
it's off campus; call 911.' "

Ross, who represents the Back Bay, Fenway/Kenmore, and Mission Hill
neighborhoods, criticized local universities after a post-Super Bowl
riot on Symphony Road, during which a sport utility vehicle plowed
through a group of revelers, killing one man and critically injuring
another. Several cars were flipped over on the street and others were
vandalized. Thousands of raucous students took to the streets in
Kenmore Square as well. In the aftermath of the disturbances, Ross,
as well as Mayor Thomas M. Menino, called on universities --
particularly Northeastern University, near where the fatal accident
happened -- to better control their students, regardless of whether
they live on campus.

Northeastern officials yesterday said they are committed to working
with city officials, and pointed out that the university recently
signed an agreement with the city to build more residence halls and
move students back onto campus.

"We've been working on neighborhood relations for many, many years.
We've been doing this for decades," said Ed Klotzbier, vice president
of student affairs. "Our job is to teach them how to be responsible
students, to be ambassadors when out in the community. The Student
Code of Conduct applies on and off campus; it's not a new policy."

He added that the university stresses to incoming students the
serious consequences involved in violating the school's Code of
Conduct.

Menino yesterday said he would consider the ordinance, but he
cautioned that the February riot was an exception in the city's
relationship with universities.

"We're always trying to improve relationships with the universities,"
Menino said. "One incident doesn't make the relations between the
city and a university bad. The incident at Northeastern is not a
normal situation, but was a very unfortunate circumstance."

Police spokeswoman Beverly Ford said that currently, when campus
police receive calls about off-campus behavior, they are unable to
respond because they have no way of confirming whether residents are
students of their university, and no jurisdiction to act even if they
are.

"Campus police cannot make any arrests outside of their own
buildings," she said. "They enter the [off-campus] building as a
civilian."

If the ordinance passes, Ross said, Boston police, campus police, and
the Inspectional Services Department would have the names, addresses,
and phone numbers of any students living off campus. Campus police
officers could take action in disturbances in which students were
involved, instead of passing the call and responsibility onto Boston
Police.

Ross said the details of the proposal have not been finalized, but
that campus police could accompany Boston Police officers to the
scene, send a representative from the university's residential life
department, or call the student in for a hearing the following day.

Captain William Evans, commander of District 14, where many Boston
University and Boston College students live, said the return of
students to the city puts a strain on the police department, causing
20 to 30 calls to back up on Friday and Saturday nights.

Evans said BC, BU, and Northeastern officials each semester ride
along with officers through student neighborhoods to identify
potential trouble spots. He said he would welcome a deeper
partnership with area universities as long as campus police worked
alongside Boston police officers.

Evans said Boston police would pay particular attention this school
year to Northeastern students because of last year's riots.

"The test will be down near Northeastern," Evans said. "We'll see. I
just dread another Yankees/Sox series."

----- End Quote -----

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just to let you know we already patrol the streets. Our campus is not enclosed.
Police spokeswoman Beverly Ford said that currently, when campus
police receive calls about off-campus behavior, they are unable to
respond because they have no way of confirming whether residents are
students of their university, and no jurisdiction to act even if they
are.

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
ecpd402 @ 10 Sep 2004 20:35 said:
Just to let you know we already patrol the streets. Our campus is not enclosed.
Yes it is TRUE, you guys patrols the "streets of Boston", but what authority do you have to do this? Last time I checked you were state specials. I do not believe that you have the authority or should I say Jurisdiction. Maybe you should re read this:

Chapter 22C: Section 63 Employees of colleges, universities, other educational institutions and hospitals; appointment as special officers

Section 63. The colonel may, upon such reasonable terms and conditions as may be prescribed by him, at the request of an officer of a college, university, other educational institution or hospital licensed pursuant to section fifty-one of chapter one hundred and eleven, appoint employees of such college, university, other educational institution or hospital as special state police officers. Such special state police officers shall serve for three years, subject to removal by the colonel, and they shall have the same power to make arrests as regular police officers for any criminal offense committed in or upon lands or structures owned, used or occupied by such college, university, or other institution or hospital.
Each application for appointment as a special state police officer or a renewal thereof shall be accompanied by a fee, the amount of which shall be determined annually by the commissioner of administration under the provision of section three B of chapter seven.
The colonel may promulgate such rules and regulations as may be necessary to ensure proper standards of skill. Said rules and regulations shall conform to the provisions of chapter thirty A.

So now tell me, do you really think you should be patroling the city streets? Especially without Ch 90 powers? :NO:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
Oh my God and dead-Aunt Mildred!!!!
:shock:
Wait till MarkBoston weighs in on this one! Seriously, here we go again. BPPA will probably fight this. In addition, watch carefully what you do under those sheriff "powers". don't want to go making more case law do we (hee hee)

Maybe the United Federation of Planets prime directive would be best applied here "Non-Interference."

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Cant see any real solution to the issue except that college students are adults so treat them like one when they tip over cars and set fires. Im sure there's plenty of Tear Gas and Stingballs left over from the DNC.

·
Registered
186 Posts
To:
(Fill in the blank) Campus Police,
(Fill in the blank) College Police,
(Fill in the blank) University Police,
Plus the dreaded "I'm also a sworn Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff",

I have the utmost respect for any academy trained professional law enforcement officer. The Massachusetts State Police does not patrol Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New York, or Connecticut roads. Why, because it is outside their jurisdiction. The Boston Police Department does not patrol the streets of Worcester or Taunton or Springfield or even the Town of Warren, MA. Why, because it is outside of the department's jurisdiction.

Jurisdiction - the limits or territory within which authority may be exercised.

My point is this…you are a law enforcement professional. You get paid to provide public safety on your campus. That is where your jurisdiction is. That is where your power is. That is where your insurance coverage is. Go outside of your jurisdiction and make an arrest. But know that if you make just one small error and the case will get tossed. Then lawsuit begins…against you, not your employer who will disown you because you were outside of your jurisdiction.

I have never taken police action outside of my jurisdiction. I never will. I will and have anonymously assisted brother/sister officers, if needed. Then I walk away, no name, just who was that masked man? I don't need a pat on the back, but I do need my home.

So the end result is this…stay inside of your jurisdiction and I'll stay inside mine. Then we both have house to go home to.

·
Registered
372 Posts
mpd61 @ Sat 11 Sep said:
Oh my God and dead-Aunt Mildred!!!!
:shock:
Wait till MarkBoston weighs in on this one! Seriously, here we go again. BPPA will probably fight this. In addition, watch carefully what you do under those sheriff "powers". don't want to go making more case law do we (hee hee)

Maybe the United Federation of Planets prime directive would be best applied here "Non-Interference."
:L:

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
I asked a cpo at my college if they had chapter 90 when I was getting my parking sticker.
Her response was "yes on campus,accept for me I went to blah blah academy so I can get in pursuits and arrest people if they go off campus and pull over people off campus". :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
462 Posts
I asked a cpo at my college if they had chapter 90 when I was getting my parking sticker.
Her response was "yes on campus,accept for me I went to blah blah academy so I can get in pursuits and arrest people if they go off campus and pull over people off campus". :roll:
Who the hell would say that...just because someone went to such and such academy and works as a CPO..doesn't mean they all of a sudden have magical powers...Least for me it would have to be something pretty damn serious to chase someone off campus..(ie murder)....what college is this anyway..feel free to pm..

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
My agency does not get involved in BPD issues. we have buildings scattered all over boston and only deal with our property. John J maybe you are confusing us with your old agency. all our officer understand our role and never conducted MV stops.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
I dont understand what having Ch 90 powers has to do with the proposed idea of having campus police respond to incidents involving students off campus? If a student violates a college rule "such as underage drinking" and the school is willing to allow the officer to respond in order to take discipline action Ch 90 has NOTHING to do with this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to reference the original article for a moment...

Let us say it's a Friday night in Allston/Brighton (Boston D-14) :uc: . Inspectional Services seems to be everywhere (--although outnumbered by the scores of students clogging the streets). Could anyone (Boston :D ) articulate Inspectional Service's enhanced role lately? They appear to have partnered on the streets with BPD lately, which sounds needed. What is their authority outside code enforcement?

My only speculation on the matter is that they are familiar with lessors and the types of dwellings and tenants...

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
ecpd402 @ 11 Sep 2004 20:09 said:
My agency does not get involved in BPD issues. we have buildings scattered all over boston and only deal with our property. John J maybe you are confusing us with your old agency. all our officer understand our role and never conducted MV stops.
402, You previously stated that you patrol the streets and that your campus is not enclosed. All I am saying is that as an SSPO you do not have the jurisdiction to patrol the streets of Boston. Your college owns the buildings, you have no authority to act on Tremont, Boylston, Beacon St or whatever other street you may be driving on. And I never said anything about you guys making M/V stops. I merely pointed out the fact that you don't have Ch 90 powers, something that would be useful IF you were supposed to be patrolling the streets of Boston.

Posted 12 Sep 2004 00:28:

union1 @ 11 Sep 2004 20:21 said:
I dont understand what having Ch 90 powers has to do with the proposed idea of having campus police respond to incidents involving students off campus? If a student violates a college rule "such as underage drinking" and the school is willing to allow the officer to respond in order to take discipline action Ch 90 has NOTHING to do with this.
Your right you obviously don't understand maybe you should read the entire posting. But just so we are clear I will explain it to you. True, Ch 90 powers do not have anything do to with the proposed idea of having Campus Police respond to off campus incidents, but that was not what I said. However you still have NO JURISDICTION off campus. So tell me Einstein how are you going to respond to something on the Boston Common or in Chinatown when you have no authority there?
What I was originally referring to was the fact that your co worker posted that he already patrols the streets of Boston.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.