Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what type of work does a DMH officer really does. Looking in one of the post in Brockton it appeaers to be some motor vehicle law or maybe stops but in Worcester there is no such thing in the post. So just curious do they carry.

·
Subscribing Member
4,370 Posts
Worse job I ever had. They don't want you to do any police work. People there treat you like a slave, pickup boxes, take the medical record cart there, open and lock doors. Yes we had CH.90 when I was there, but since then the Director took all the 90 books and destroyed them. They have one 1992 Ford Crown Vic with 150K+ miles but they only want it to sit as a deterent, don't drive it. No office, you get a little cubicle, no LEAPS, no access to one, shitty pay, and just a plain ole miserable job. They also don't want to send guys anymore to get their SSPO powers. So unless you are waiveable you get to patrol around in a french blue shirt with no badge, no COmmonwealth of Mass pins and no patch. Oh yeah did I mention that everyone starts at Step 1 and it takes 14 years to max out. Don't bother, DMH we had the biggest turnover in Brockton. We lost about 20 guys in 2 years. Pretty bad when you only have about five in Brockton.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
I really don't know about Worcester or Tewksbury, but Taunton State usually runs 2-3 CPO's on a shift. The Campus Police Office is in the main lobby and has to be manned pretty much from 9 am to 8 pm. So basically there is a lot of desk duty, while another Officer patrols the grounds (cruiser is on the older side and has high milage, but such is life) or transports patients. The Chpt. 90 books issue was resolved a long time ago, although it is not routinely enforced. The role of a DMH CPO at a large facility is also much more like Corrections than it is Police. Officers assist/conduct room searches, respond to behavioral codes, transport patients to hospital/court, all that fun stuff.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,749 Posts
Getting back to original question;

1. No carry firearms
2. No M/V enforcement (Brockton)
3. Work alone (Brockton)

The Static deterrent (Cruiser#947) was removed and taken to Taunton for transports 2 1/2 years ago.

Brockton Multi Service Center (BMSC) is arguably the closest thing to a security guard with an SSPO badge on the south shore. Irishpride must agree. As pointed out, it's more like a C.O.'s job at the Hospitals.
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
mpd61 said:
Brockton Multi Service Center (BMSC) is arguably the closest thing to a security guard with an SSPO badge on the south shore. Irishpride must agree.
I'll just let you and H50 give all the info Scott, I'm sure you can understand why. The only thing I will say is that I've been with DMH for over three years and all things considered I do not regret leaving my previous job in the private sector as a full time EMT to work where I am.

·
8,749 Posts
Irishpride said:
mpd61 said:
Brockton Multi Service Center (BMSC) is arguably the closest thing to a security guard with an SSPO badge on the south shore. Irishpride must agree.
I'll just let you and H50 give all the info Scott, I'm sure you can understand why. The only thing I will say is that I've been with DMH for over three years and all things considered I do not regret leaving my previous job in the private sector as a full time EMT to work where I am.
I can honestly see why. State benefits and pay being primary reasons.
I seem to detect that my comments regarding Brockton Multi have touched a nerve? Was I inaccurate or inappropriate in any way?
I agreed with You that Taunton State is where the action is, and how you described CPO I duties there. What's the problem dude?

Sgt. P and Jimmy D are the linchpins there, and you are certainly a professional. But explain to me why "George" is walking around there?
Whats the deal?

G

·
I went to the academy with guy who started out at DMH. He swore they have CH90 by statute and are basically like Troopers without the guns. I saw a picture of him and he was in same uniform! What gives with that? :?

·
Subscribing Member
4,370 Posts
NACop,

Your buddy was right, they do have CH90 powers by statute
Here is the excerpt
""Police officer'', any officer, other than an investigator or examiner of the transportation division of the department of telecommunications and energy, authorized to make arrest or serve criminal process, any person appointed by the registrar under section twenty-nine of chapter ninety, any person appointed by the trustees of the University of Massachusetts under section thirty-two A of chapter seventy-five, any person appointed by the trustees of Southeastern Massachusetts university under section seventeen of chapter seventy-five B and any person appointed by the colonel of state police under section fifty-nine of chapter twenty-two C.
DMH and DMR officers are sworn special state police officers under 22c Sect 59. The new 90C/Section 1 also adds all Bridgewater State College PD officers in there by statute so they no longer need to acquire 90 books through the trustee powers. I don't know about the trooper part, once off the property you were a civilian but creative officers :roll: were able to get away with more than others. 8)

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
mpd61 said:
I seem to detect that my comments regarding Brockton Multi have touched a nerve?
Not at all
mpd61 said:
Was I inaccurate or inappropriate in any way?
again no
mpd61 said:
I agreed with You that Taunton State is where the action is, and how you described CPO I duties there. What's the problem dude?
No problem here what so ever (just providing a silver lining to the BMSC position).
mpd61 said:
Sgt. P and Jimmy D are the linchpins there
Couldn't agree with you more
mpd61 said:
you are certainly a professional
Thank you very much the feeling is mutual!

·
8,749 Posts
O.K. "Mountain Boy"

Why don't you just put on your SWAT gear and go sit on top of Hoosic Hall you phony!
:shock:

·
Subscribing Member
4,370 Posts
H50 where did you get the info about Chap 90/Sec 1? Is that new one published somewhere?
Nope, old stuff, its under Chapter 90C Section 1 under definition of police officer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.