Campus police disarmed | MassCops

Campus police disarmed

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Articles' started by j809, Aug 14, 2020.

1. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

mpd61 likes this.
  2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Oh damn!!! Why didn't we see this before?
    Eliminate guns=eliminate racism
    Samurai.jpg

Goose likes this.
  3. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

“The university currently employees six sworn officers who will no longer be armed, according to the report.”

Six campus cops disarmed. GOOD. I hope that if they ever have an active shooter, those cops can run home to their families instead of toward the gunfire. Hopefully they aren’t being paid less.

CCCSD likes this.
  4. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

[​IMG]
    Great response

Tango_Sierra, EUPD377, zm88 and 4 others like this.
  5. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

The ONLY way to stop this madness will be when the AS/gang etc starts killing.
    ALL the deaths are on the Admin. Those cops all need to leave and find jobs elsewhere.

Hush, Tango_Sierra and Drebbin like this.
  6. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

I hope these officers are reaching out to other departments with their resumes. They should bail because it appears that nobody there has their backs, especially the spineless self serving chief.

7. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

This campus will also lose any safety rating they have. I hope parents pull their kids.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    j809 and Drebbin like this.
  8. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

With the current climate, I’ve been making sure that I keep in contact with my friends in neighboring municipal departments, and always make sure to get to know their command staff. There’s been no talk about disarming my agency, but if it ever came to that, I’m always sure I’ve got options. I’ll take a few thousand dollar pay cut before I do this job with no gun.

Sooty, AB7, Tango_Sierra and 3 others like this.
  9. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

It’s utterly disgusting how quickly colleges and university’s forget about events like Virgina Tech. Just sickens me how the administration gets a political power trip and think they are teaching the campus police a “lesson” by taking away their firearms. That department could be a top notch place and great officers who provide a great service and the admin has to go and ruin it by taking away an important tool that protects everyone’s safety if shit hits the the fan. If I worked there I would certainly resign and look elsewhere for a new job.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Kilvinsky, Goose, AB7 and 3 others like this.
  10. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Curry College (my alma mater) has an unarmed police department, despite having arguably the best CJ program in the state. When I was attending, I interviewed for a position with their PD. It would have been a pay cut, but the free tuition would have mostly been worth it.
    I was shocked by the hostility that the HR folks showed for their campus police, and LE in general. The HR rep referred to the police station as “the guard shack”, and told me they will never be armed and “we’re different from a town PD, we don’t want tough guys”. I feel bad for the guys stuck there, they seem like a good group of guys.
    Coincidentally, there was just a shooting with full notes a couple blocks from the campus a couple minutes ago.

zm88, Kilvinsky, mpd61 and 1 other person like this.
  11. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

They are also afraid of the word "POLICE". Just like Wheaton College they have a department made up of sworn officers wearing uniforms with badges and patches driving marked cruisers with blue lights. Except you will not see the word police anywhere just public safety.

02136colonel and Tango_Sierra like this.
  12. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Active Killers make note of those things when they hunt...

Hush and mpd61 like this.
  13. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

Makes me glad that my state (NC) has it written into law that if a private college gets a certified police agency, their vehicles, badges, and patches must be clearly marked “campus police” and their uniforms must be “distinct and different” from non-sworn employees. My department is technically named the University Department of Safety and Security in the organizational tree of the university, but all our uniforms, badges, and vehicles make it clear that we’re cops. I think it’s in the public interest too to know if you are dealing with cops or security guards, so the law makes sense.

14. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis MassCops Member

It’s disgusting that someone would expect police officers to do the job without a lethal force option to use in the gravest extreme. Wearing a police uniform without a gun? How about no. It’s an extreme example of how little some administrators care about the officers.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are some (though probably not all) plainclothes federal investigative agencies which will go FAR out of their way to make sure that agents have firearms available at all times for the field, off-duty, and home defense (even in full time telework). And these are jobs which, by and large, do not interact with suspects or respond to emergencies nearly as often as uniformed officers do. Stuff like that just tells you a lot about how much value you have in the eyes of your superiors.

Kilvinsky, AB7, zm88 and 5 others like this.
  15. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

It's the first step toward contract security, or better yet, student RA's armed with handouts..........................

16. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

“Stop raping that passed out female. Here’s a handout to explain how that’s not acceptable.”

mpd61 and 02136colonel like this.
  17. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Goose, mpd61, EUPD377 and 3 others like this.
  18. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

The “best CJ program in the state”???

That’s laughable, not arguable. It’s the most *convenient* for sure, but not even in the same stratosphere as the word “best”.

And that’s coming from a Curry alumnus (B.A. 2000).

Sooty and Hush like this.
  19. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

College in a hurry? Go to Curry! Can't go to college? Go to Curry!

Roy Fehler, mpd61 and CCCSD like this.
  20. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Well, in fairness you’ve got to remember that the state completely overhauled the Quinn bill ca. 2004. A lot of schools lost their certifications and those that kept them needed to make big changes.
    I wouldn’t argue that it was the absolute toughest program anywhere, but it was certainly no cakewalk either.
    Go Colonels!

CCCSD likes this.
  21. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Unfortunately for me that all changed before I got my BA there in 2006. As 02136colonel mentioned, it got "for real" after the diploma mill Quin Bill changes in 2004.

Hush and 02136colonel like this.
  22. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I graduated there too but I had my classes on the main campus and they were all for real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 and 02136colonel like this.
  23. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

j809 likes this.
  24. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

ALWAYS plead guilty. That way you get to speak to the Judge.

Kilvinsky, mpd61 and Goose like this.
  25. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

When you have CJ programs like Northeastern, UMass-Lowell, and Boston University (to name a few) in Massachusetts, it’s beyond absurd to say that Curry in a Hurry is “the best CJ program in the state”, sorry.

Sooty and mpd61 like this.