Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
I do not believe so - I remember this coming up a while ago, probably on the 'old' board. Many campus departments are members of MPA or similar organizations.

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
There are no strictly Campus Police Unions, There has been talk between some colleges "Emerson and Suffolk" of the beginning stages of one but I dont think that it will ever turn into anything.

unfortunately the Taft/Hartly act limits Campus Police Union representation to non-AFL/CIO unions. Sometimes an administration will recognize an AFL/CIO union as "the Barganing Agent" but any union that does this risks losing their certification. BE CAREFULL WHO REPRESENTS YOU!

Under the feds, Campus Police are NOT considered Police Officers, We are considered "Guards". This is where the Taft/Hartly act comes into play.

Email me privately if you can, I am our local association president and dont mind speaking to other union officials and or dept's that are looking to form.

Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
I disagree with you, what does the Taft/Hartley Act have to do with "campus police unions". I read it and did not see anything in there, enlighten me please.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hupd,
Was just looking to see if there was an assoc. for us Campus P.O. in MA? Also the word "union" is not a good word over here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
None that I am aware of. As a Dept. we belong to MPA, MACLEA, IACLEA, NECUSA, ASIS and a otehr specialty based organizations. Most are administrator-centered associations. As for patrol-oriented organizations for campus police, I have no idea. And as far as unions go, I looked into IBPO awhile back, and they would have clissified the dept under the NAGE portion of thier office. And like your dept. the U word is frowned upon.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,660 Posts
Originally posted by union1:

unfortunately the Taft/Hartly act limits Campus Police Union representation to non-AFL/CIO unions. Sometimes an administration will recognize an AFL/CIO union as "the Barganing Agent" but any union that does this risks losing their certification. BE CAREFULL WHO REPRESENTS YOU!

Under the feds, Campus Police are NOT considered Police Officers, We are considered "Guards". This is where the Taft/Hartly act comes into play.

Rob
What are you talking about by "under the feds"?
The Taft Hartley (1947), or some Title or CFR?
I'd like to know cuz you're scaring me. I'd like to know what Federal document specifies that campus police are "guards", and in what context?
Retirement/Law enforcement/Training/Authority?
What's the issue?

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
The Following is copied from the International Guards Union of America You may see the full text at http://www.amaonline.com/igua/

"The Taft-Hartley Law in Section 9(b) (3), forbids Guards, Watchmen and others hired to protect property and employees of an employer from belonging to a Union which admits to membership employees other than such Guards, etc. Since its formation, the International Guards Union of America has, at all times been in complete compliance with the requirements and regulations of the National Labor Relations Act as administered by the National Labor Relations Board."

A Small Story of WHY I know you COULD lose your certification because of this.

A Year before we won our certification, we had attempted to organize with the help of the International Labors Union along with a college who was already formed and who was in cahoots with the Laborers.

When this attempt was taken to a hearing at the NLRB the college who was assisting us SAID outright at the hearing that he was being "advised" by the Laborers.

WHen the board agent herd this, he took the Police Officer asside and told him he had just made a serious mistake and that he COULD lose his unions certification if his employer wanted to complain.

Any other Questions feel free to EMail me .
:eek:
Rob

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Opps.. forgot this one:

"What are you talking about by "under the feds"?
The Taft Hartley (1947), or some Title or CFR?
I'd like to know cuz you're scaring me. I'd like to know what Federal document specifies that campus police are "guards", and in what context?
Retirement/Law enforcement/Training/Authority?
What's the issue?"

The issue I was told by our board agent at the time was that if we were covered under an AFL/CIO union, and the "say Faculty" went on a strike. We would still have to enforce the college's regulations. This creats a conflict of interest which is why this law was made.

If you have ANY questions regarding any of this, I HIGHLY encourage you to call your local NLRB office and just speak to the Inforamtion Officer. ALSO if your planning on starting an Association of your own mke sure you do your homework and speak to other Union Presidents/Reps.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Im fully for starting a campus police association. I know police organizations such as COPS Concerns for Police Suvivors do not help out Campus Police. As for Union issues I don't want to help Union 1 open his can of worms

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
I have a question. In regards to COPS not helping out campus POlice. What do you mean? COPS is not a Police assoication per say. It's a support group for families who have lost someone in line of duty deaths.

Thanks

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,660 Posts
Oh my God!

Union1, what the hell are you talking about? I challenge you to post any Federal document that states "Campus Police" are not Police

1. Your reference to Taft-Hartley under the International Guards Union of America is almost an insult. Sure "protect property and employees" that sounds like a guards job to me. Where you lose credibility is your ommission that guards do not "enforce laws and make arrests". Thats POLICE! Sorry but nowhere in your referenced document are POLICE mentioned.

2. The strike issue does not hold water either. Many Police agencies observe fellow state/municipal/private pickets and strikes while continuing to enforce laws and maintain the peace.

In summary your painting Campus Police as "guards" is inane at the least, and possibly insulting and inflammatory. In some very rare instances, campus police are basically restricted by policy or practice to security-like functions.

The vast majority of Campus Police however, have the statutory authority/academy training/policies in place to operate and perform as POLICE. And they are doing it 24/7.

Rob, if you are a campus police officer at Emerson
and disseminate information like this, maybe you should go to the job fair at Northeastern and talk to the Allied Security Rep. I know that sounds sarcastic, but dude I can't figure out where you're coming from! Do you have an identity crisis?
:eek:

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
In response to the COPS question. Yes I agree they are not a police association per say. But Why not start a campus police association that takes care of campus police officers families that were killed in the line of duty or disabled.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
That is so weird. How does state college campus police officers belong to AFL-CIO unions. What about Harvard U PD and MIT PD. Do they have associations or unions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
MIT used to be with IBPO under NAGE, which is a subsection of IBPO I believe. I beleive that MIT is now an association with the same representation as NU.

We looked into forming one of those U-words a few years back, and IBPO took us in but directed us to NAGE due to being campus police rather than municipal. MASSCOP refused to talk to us as we were too small, but the Teamsters called us uninvited and tried to get us onboard with them. Very strange business.

All I can say is research research research! Make sure that the group you look at will fit your needs and give you the attention you deserve and service you need.
Stay Safe

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
In regards to NU (unless it has changed recently) they are represented by the Law Offices of Timothy Burke (same ones who represent MSP SPAM members).

·
1,952 Posts
Originally posted by BartPD:
In regards to NU (unless it has changed recently) they are represented by the Law Offices of Timothy Burke (same ones who represent by MSP SPAM members).
Ya same people

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, JB we at HUPD belong to the IBPO...never had a problem with it being challenged. Our official title is the Harvard University Police Association. Also COPS fully supports ALL police officers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.