Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on a rant here so bare with me..

Will someone PLEASE post a pole as to wether or not C.P. should be armed...

and second WTF is wrong with administrators asking people to go out and enforce laws without guns. This is F&^King Insanity at its best...

·
Registered
6 Posts
with various type of academy training and with or without chapter 90 all campus police departments do the same job. Now there maybe city and town officers who may disagree,but ,like it or not we are all the same the bs we deal with is the same only the patch is different. Where I work there have been several situations that a firearm had the potential to be needed and with someone looking out for the people involved we where lucky none of us were hurt. Our campuses are pretty much open to the public and any [email protected]@#bag up to no good or the student who brings their [email protected]#hole friend up to the campus to visit could be the campus officers worst nightmare. Where I work only the supervisors and above are armed but everyone goes through the same training I personally think it sucks because the officer is the first one into "the [email protected]#%" and who knows when the issue with the trustees who make that decision is going to come up again. It needs to be soon though.

My opinion of your going to use the word Police/Public Safety to describe your agency and send them to the academy Municipal or SSPO you need to give them the proper tools to do their job and protect their communities.Because ther is no use in my opinion for giving your officers vests making it mandatory and they have to hide like everyone else if shots ring out or a weapon is shown. The world is a different place now and people who are against need to pull their heads out of their a#$. :twisted:

·
Subscribing Member
4,315 Posts
The problem is that college campus police departments are run by college administrators. Very few departments have REAL COPS running the departments. Your job could change with every new administration that comes in. Most college PDs that I have seen in MASS are not police departments by any means. They call themselves either Security or Public Safety or whatever else. It seems to me that Public Safety is a way for a college to think they have a balance between a security officer and a police officer. The reason they don't want their guys armed is because of the IMAGE that it might give to the college and it acknowledges that they have police officers. Also the campus cops with guns do not see themselves as security/public safety anymore but cops and therefore their attitudes change. Finally , guns increase a college's liability policy dramatically. And finally, let's just cut to the chase, most campus cops have little or no training at all. I know this will piss some people off, but it;s the truth. Until all campus cops attend FT MCJTC academies and do their jobs in accordance with MGL and not college LAWS, most municipal departments will not acknowledge them as real cops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FT MCJTC Academies from what I hear are not what they used to be, or not a challenge at all. However I know of someone who went through both the SSPO and then the Municipal and said the SSPO was harder. I love when people have narrow minded opinions about campus cops that HAVE TRAINING that enforce the same MASS LAWS as quote the "REAL COPS". The only difference isa that the municipal academies are longer . Also due to politics the SSPO is not recognized by the MCJTC. The SSPO also involved training officers to have DISCIPLINE which is something we all should have Along with the basic skill to do our jobs and STAY SAFE.
Iknow people that went through the municipal academy who have said the the SSPO Officers are better trained go figure!

I think that the campus cop sees more crime on a regular basis than a"REAL COP". Until someone recognizes that we all run the chance of being killed doing our job and as a whole all care about each other we will not have to have these discussions about whether campus cops should be armed. In closing shame on a campus police chief that doesn't send their officers to an academy because it only makes the rest of us look bad when the officer screws up.

Enough Said.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Hey Lt.Scott didnt the same guy who assisted the capture of the MBTA suspect. Arrest a man who assaulted five people.

·
MassCops Member
75 Posts
I WORK AT AN UNARMED COLLEGE MYSELF AND THE BEST WAY TO discribe thiese COLLEGE ADMINISTRATORS THAT dont BELIVE IN THE "POLICE" OR THAT WE shouldent BE ARMED THAT THEY DONT know thier A%*#S FROM THIER ELBOWS whith THIER DOCTRINES DEGREES IN B.S HELL I DONT EVEN CARRY A BATON TRY DOING MY JOB COLLEGE ADMIN.

·
Subscribing Member
4,315 Posts
Maybe if you learn how to spell and understand proper grammar , you will someday be armed. :lol:

YOU BIG APE YOU!! :lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
MPD71 said:
Maybe if you learn how to spell and understand proper grammar , you will someday be armed. :lol:
YES!!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you MPD!!!
and maybe try to find the Caps Lock key while you are at it.

TRY THIS:
http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Staying on topic, the REAL campus police departments, where the officers attend SSPO or MCJTC and carry out POLICE FUNCTION should be armed. If the school wants to have security instead, than they should expect the lower level of protection that comes from it. There can be no half way. Either they are police or they aren't - If they are, than they SHOULD BE ARMED! In most cases, schools are better off with POLICE. At my college. I believe a well managed police force to be a true asset to a college. The liability is a no brainer - there is far greater liability issue for the school from having no PD than having an armed PD.

-Eric

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,656 Posts
PJM#15 said:
:NO: [-X MPD71 and LeadDog17 Please DO NOT make fun of one of my Police Officers! I Do not appreciate it! :NO: [-X
Lighten Up fartbag! I'm sure the big primate can stand-up for himself. Yeesh, maybe he didn't want everybody to know where and who he worked with.
:oops:

·
Registered
334 Posts
PJM#15 said:
:NO: [-X MPD71 and LeadDog17 Please DO NOT make fun of one of my Police Officers! I Do not appreciate it! :NO: [-X
:eek:t: , sorry, but I think this needs to be stated again!
I apologize if you or Bigape9 are offended by my post. I am NOT making fun though. In fact, I am not even trying to be humerus. Your department SHOULD be armed, but only with professional, well trained officers. If you want to be treated as professionals, you need to act that way. Bigape9 looks very unprofessional when submitting posts with blatantly careless spelling and grammar errors. Bigape9 could be a fantastic officer, but his post makes him appear careless and unprofessional. If he doesn't care enough to edit/spellcheck/proofread, why should anyone else (like the Administration who he needs to appeal his concerns to) take the time to review what he has to say?
-Eric

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well Leaddog17 if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Your "Dogging" on the "APE" for bad spelling however you spell humorous as HUMERUS when the correct spelling IS...........

H----U----M-----O----R---O---U---S-------- :D :L: #-o :t:

Just backing up my partner. :FM:

·
Registered
334 Posts
:oops: :oops:

Yes, Yes, I'll admit it, I made a mistake. I was not trying to reference my upper arm, rather made an error with my spell check. I have no problem when other people make small typos now and then. I have no problem with a fat finger or two either. HOWEVER, there is a big difference between a few small errors here or there (even Dunny and MT1 do it now and then) and a post such as Bigape9's which reeks of mental ineptitude.
If you really want to back up your partner, you should encourage him to put in a tiny bit of effort and show some pride in what he does!
-Eric

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey Lead Dog,

Shows a lot balls coming from someone who will not even say where he works. Former Assistant Harbor Master. You act like he is writing a report on a murder investigation. It's a message board so relax. Feel free to chime in at any time and have a nice day.

:twisted:

·
Registered
393 Posts
This topis is locked. We shound not bash each other, we all do the same job but some of us don't have the tools we would like to have for our job. That's just the way it is sometimes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.