Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To say that I am pissed is an under statement. I need to rant and this is the only place were people can understand my frustration. Let me give you the background.....I've been working for Dean Junior College going on 4 years, I am one of the only 3 people that will come in at the drop of a dime whenever needed. I have also put in countless amounts of time working on the 2-way radio system in the dept free of charge. That aside, the way this shit hole thanks me for all the work I've done is last year I received a 26 cent raise. In 3 years I got 26 cents. Bringing my hourly rate to a pathetic $13.26. Now year 4, it has been brought to my attention that several people that have been here 4 months are currently making 13+ an hour. This list includes several part timers and a dispatcher.

Yes that’s right part time employees and a dispatcher! WTF is wrong with this picture. Asking the other Sgt. of 5 years what he got hourly and he said a whopping 13.66 an hour.......after 5 years...so here is the bottom line......
Being a Sgt here at Dean Junior college and being held responsible for everyone on your shift as well as making sure procedures are followed etc. will earn you a maximum of 13.66 and hour......being a PT officer that works 1-2days a week no responsibility, and a dispatcher that only has the duty of answering the phone and radio, you will make 13+ an hour as these people do. Some of you may say bitch to the Chief or HR yeah I could do that, but my anger falls on deaf ears. At times I'm sorry that ever got introduced to the world of College Law Enforcement. I just had no idea I would be insulted like this. Basically what my employer has told me is you don't mean shit to us son just keep working your ass off for us and we'll give some stupid 20 year old kid twice as much as you.

So I end with this if anyone is looking for a career in College Police DON'T COME TO DEAN COLLEGE.

Thanks for listening,

Muggsy :BM: :BM: :DP: :sb: :FT:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No union over here and rumor is that a couple guys tried to do it a few years ago and the whole crew got the boot. Or so I hear.....I think it's time to move on like big "D" did. :BM:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Muggsy, why don't you send an application off (even unsolicited) to BC PD? They are a fairly squared away operation, and their pay has to be heads and shoulders over where you are now!

When I worked there in the 1980s as an Auxiliary (2 nights/week plus football games) we were getting $10/hour (football games were all at time-and-a-half, $15/hour). The salary stricture can be found online at www.bc.edu.

They are armed, have their own Simunitions setup, firearms training is done regularly.

I always found the vast majority of students decent to work with. The only downside is that there is a lot of "transport Father so-and-so from A to B" calls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hear what you're saying Muggsy. I worked at Dean College for 5 years myself and was a sergeant. I was getting paid the same amount as officer's who had just started. Things will never be right there until the chief starts sticking up for his people. I don't suggest talking about Unions though. In 1995, the campus police at Dean brought up a proposal for union representation. It was a good idea in theory but they fired the entire department. This is when First Security took over the place. When they started out they were wearing blazers and Burger King ties. It's come a long way since then as you can see but it's a never ending battle. I feel your frustration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Time to move on Bro. If you're serious about it there are several departments in the same general area that would be more than happy to take better care of you than that. Take advantage of the unusual number of openings while it lasts.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree...Maybe it's a sign you should put your resumes out there...I mean that's just mickey mouse policing management at it's peak...Even if you have to take a demotion in rank or job status you will find a better job than that. Tufts...NU..has security that make more than that and both promote from within...I would also say it's a safe bet to say the benefits are better in both places...Any questions drop me a PM...Consider taking the step back which may be better in the long run..good luck and hang in there!!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Muggsy,

Seriously take a look at BC PD! Here's a post that Gil made which "closed out" 2 days ago. Looks like a Patrol Officer makes a LOT more than you do as Sgt!

http://www.masscops.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8061
Reference

Posting Title:
Patrol Officer (Boston College Police Dept.)

Position Details:
Department: 023002 - Patrol
Position: 00010124 - Patrol Officer
Salary Range: 31,200 - 47,195 /year

Here's a current listing that closes out TODAY!

Reference: 001340
Posting Title: Patrol Officer

Position Details
Department: 023002 - Patrol
Position: 00004926 - Patrol Officer III/EMT
Grade: 00 (Competitive)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everybody for posting I knew that only here with a good group like we have on Mass Cops would my anger and frustration be understood. I agree with all you folks it time to move on. I am dusting off my resume as we speak. :-s

·
Registered
9 Posts
WTF? There are people here making more then a senior sergeant? Please tell me you’re kidding! This place (Dean College) is the biggest joke in the whole of New England.

·
MassCops Member
152 Posts
We went through the same thing a few years ago. Our attrition rate was horrid. Worse was that we would train officers and they'd leave for a higher paying job at another college. Our chief went to bat for us and said that if the college wanted to a professional department with quality personnel, they had to meet the pay standards.

We composed a survey that showed how off scale our department was and the administration suppored us. Raises were given from $3000 to $6000 per officer to bring them up to par. At that time, par was $31,000 a year. I got the short end of the stick having only received a $3000 raise, but it was made up for when I was promoted to Sergeant.

There was a consession. Three of our full time PO job slots were changed into non-sworn (hence lower paid) Community Service Officer positions. No PO lost his job or was demoted; just that through attrition, a CSO was hired and not an Officer. Now that we're going armed, the CSO slot is too much liability and we're swinging back to and all sworn staff.

We're non union, but have a great relationship with our college and our administration. If things don't improve over there, some changes have to be made one way or another.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, it's kind of sad to see that new people fresh off the street with less experience earn more then guys who have been there for years. :(

·
MassCops Member
152 Posts
Things can obviously get kinda whacked at a college. Most of the time you have to go by a pay scale that's not meant for police. Very few places would have pay scales similar to municipalities.

While the cost of living increases the starting salary for someone walking in the door, officers set themselves apart with merit raises based on yearly performance evaluations. It's a mixed up world we live in, but at least it's based on merit as opposed to just time on the job where as long as you put your time in, you'll keep making the pay grades.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
Muggsy, if you want to start exploring other options, take a look at Curry College up in Milton. Rumor has it that they are going the SSPO route in the Summer. They are slowly re-building the department and I hear the $$$ for sworn PO's won't be too shabby either. The benefits are excellent as well. They have a retired MSP Lieutenant as a new Chief and he is a stand up, top notch guy. They should be looking for PO's soon as there are only a few current employees of their Publc Safety staff that qualify for powers. If you want more info, shoot me a PM.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
:L: :L: :L: :L:
Donger_need_Food,
One of the funnier posts I have seen in some time.
Long live you, Long Duk Dong.

·
MassCops Member
75 Posts
:eek:nfire: Let me start with this> Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances
And I would be the other half of the glue that holds this place together. I was just as angry as my partner but he always seems to be able to get his point across without the profanity I use so not to really offend members of this fine department it was better off he posted first. But it is amazing how the few that bust there asses get rewarded the day will come when we are no longer here and it will be amusing to watch it crumble into the laughing stock of Campus Law Enforcement again. And only then will the powers that be appreciate what we do and did. Until then I will continue to be the good solider and run the midnights at least the way it should be. Not for anyone else but because I have to much respect for myself my partners and this job. Hell I think I just ranted and made no fucking point oh well.

GIT R DONE PUTAS

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.